Topic: Do You Read Music?

Just curious to see who is learning to play with or without learning to read music and why you chose that path.

Re: Do You Read Music?

Same with me.  I don't read music well and I play just good enough to amuse the hell out of myself.  When I'm by myself, I am the best player around.  What else is there?

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

No.

I used to read music well.  Now I try to make up my own bass lines and fingerpick patterns to fit the chord structures of songs I want to play.  I don't play anything like a cover - never trying to reproduce what the original (or at least well known) artist did. 

There's a few reasons for this.  First, it allows me to play like me.  I can develop my own style.  In that I'm very early on in my guitar playing, I can't both reproduce a song and bring my own style and sound to it the way talented and skilled artists do.  So, I just bring my own style and sound to it without worrying about reproducing elements from the so-called 'right' version.  Second, the folks who record music in studios and in gigging bands are very, very good musicians.  I am not.  So, they bring chord changes, techniques, and tools that I just don't have.  I may try and learn them here and there a little at a time, but I'm not worried about getting a song 'right' in that way.  Third, if I wanted to hear a song exactly the way a band first did it, I'd just play the CD.   Fourth, it's fun. 

So, I don't worry about being able to read music.  I think it would be a good advantage but it's just not high on my priority list.

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

While I agree with what Zurf had to say about this subject, I am trying to learn to read music, I think any advantage, you can gain will improve your playing ability. I do like putting my own style to a song however, but music notation can give you a step up, even if you don't play a song as it's excatly written, you can use it in other songs and places that make it more interesting.

Cam

Keep a fire burning in your eyes
Pay attention to the open sky
You never know what will be coming down

yes it took me awhile but it really helped me understand music a lot better and opened the door for creative ideas I never dreamed of trying smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Playing guitar is one of my last "Bucket List" items.  After decades of false starts i finally started in February.  While I really just want to learn rock and blues I'm forcing myself to learn certain basics.  So far i sticking to it and i think the formal part of learning to read and understand why I'm doing things will pay off big as time goes by.

Hi toobusi,
I took up guitar just after Christmas.  It was one of those things on my learn to play list. Call me a sucker for punishment,  but I started playing the organ when I was 5.  So i had to read music( that was 30ish years ago).  I got away from it for quite a while, but when I had kids got back to it and learnt them too.  Sorry, I'm babbling.
Anyway, i would chose either way, read music or read tab.  The reading tab was really easy for me.  But I think being able to read music definitely has it's advantages.  It can lead you down other paths and your not stuck with just reading tab.
I also can play by ear and it drives my daughter crazy how I can play a song (note wise) after just hearing it.
But please, please don't ask me to sing for anyone except my daughter ( Long story)  Something I'm working on.
I think being able to read music will pay off in the future.

you dont need to learn music to get good but i have learnt and it opens new doors

There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and alcohol!

Reading standard notation will help you in some ways, but it isn't necessary to play most of the music you want to play.  Things that will help immensely are learning to read a key signature, and learning to read the rhythm parts of a song.

That way you can sit down with granny at Christmas and play along while she bangs stuff out on the piano.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

Being able to read music and knowing the basic principles about music key signatures (circle of fifths, circle of fourths), scales, and so on does help.  The more basic tools you have in your arsenal, the more versatile you'll be.   Sometimes I use tab and sometimes I use sheet music to learn a song.  I like both systems.  Understanding the basics of music has helped me a lot.  I find that I learn songs much more quickly than before I knew the fundamentals.  I'm also able to sit in with people on the fly.

11 (edited by zoeycatlove 2008-08-11 21:35:20)

I can read music (regular and tab), and I'm proud of it. Seeing that I also play piano and sing, it helps when I can't figure something out (which actually is quite rare, because I can play and sing by ear). So I think it's pretty important, and I relish having the ability.

My sweetheart is a Hondo 3/4 acoustic named Kiah Zoey Rosalita. smile

"Happiness in life is all you need--along with a guitar and a little chocolate." -Unknown (but the guitar part was mine big_smile)

I can't read music. I've played for 5 years or so.
I play mostly from tab or ear.
I would dearly love to learn but find I have very little time to play let alone learn.
I always picture myself retired in my backyard playing my guitar.
Its one of the things that really brings me happiness.

I can sort of read music. I'm teaching myself to 'cause there is stuff I want to play that I can't find in just tab or chords xD

All I know is I feel better when I sing.
Burdens are lifted from me.
That's my voice rising.

toobusi

Like the majority of the posters, I agree it's not necessary but it does help.  I never learned music theory but I find myself wanting to learn the "why's" and "how's" of song structure.  I've picked a lot from the message boards but also through my own google searching.  It helps me in understanding scale patterns, chord progressions, solo's, song keys, etc

You don't need theory to play but it does help a lot and opens you up to a whole new realm of music.

"Rhythm drives the Rock-n-Roll train"

Gibson Les Paul/PRS Custom/Ovation Celebrity Koa
Line6 SpiderIII 75

I've been playing for little over 45 years and am musically illiterate...but I learned to play by ear at a very early age.

Middleaged Redneck sorta guy who refuses to grow up...passion for music, especially Southern Rock but like bout everything cept Gangsta/Hip Hop. Collect guitars, mandolins, and love to ride Harleys.

The best way to read music is to write it.Because if your interested in music curiosity will take over.Write a few notes on  some sheet music ,then play them.Then they become yours,so you will want to give them a life.See where it takes you.Then for anybody else to play them you'll have to seperate the notes into an order.Which means a key,length of the notes.If you work at it  you will eventually be able to read fly s..t.

I agree with the idea that being able to read helps to open new doors and adds to one's appreciation of the art of making music.  I was lucky to learn to read music at an early age.  It is not an essential skill, but it helps immensely.

Unfortunately, some formally-trained musicians become far too dependent on having notes on paper.  These 'paper trained' players freeze up and freak out unless everything is spelled out for them on a musical staff.  In extreme cases these players are totally lost without a music stand - even if they 'know' the music they can't just play without the paper.

I really like what owlboy said, "the best way to read music is to write it".  Invent a tune then figure out how to write the notes and rhythms.  Excellent advice.

"That darn Pythagorean Comma thing keeps messing me up!"
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_comma[/url]

i know just enough music to play it wrong lol

All You Need is Love smile

I've just started to learn to read music a few days, so im still all staves and ledger lines......

●████▅▅▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄....▄▄▄
▄▄▅██████▅▄▃▂
█ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █►
◥☼▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲☼◤ -Mr T says: Quit yo jibba Jabba! You Ain't hurt!

James McCormick wrote:

Unfortunately, some formally-trained musicians become far too dependent on having notes on paper.  These 'paper trained' players freeze up and freak out unless everything is spelled out for them on a musical staff.  In extreme cases these players are totally lost without a music stand - even if they 'know' the music they can't just play without the paper.

I think this is a result of modern music education being done by rote, rather than via theory.   Because they want to get young kids playing songs as soon as possible, all the educational energy is spent teaching them that "this note means you play this tone,"  rather than teaching them why those notes fit with the key they are in, which is what will enable them to break lose and improvise a little.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]