26 (edited by wlbaye 2008-03-21 02:34:24)

Re: Best Female Guitarist

I think ZappaDjango ,nailed a great list , I'll bet a lot of folks who rocked out to the band Heart, featuring the Wilson sisters didn't even realize it was a gal playing she did great electric and acoustic stuff.Also an evening listening to Bonnie Raitt doing some jamming is great.

Yes Ken has a right to his opinion,maybe we can turn him on to some female musicians and sway him.

Later, Wayne P

Charro is a fantastic player. She studied under? sergovia.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

KT Tunstall

Great voice, brilliant musician...
Used to have a crush on her

don't ever stand aside, don't ever be denied
you gotta be who you be if you're comin' with me
cool
okay??

WAS N'T HUMPLE PIE A BAND?
I compare it with "HAUTE CUISINE"
= WHO COOKS AT HOME?
= WHO COOKS IN A TOP RESTAURANT? BOTH ARE MALE PERSONS.
There is a scientific explication.
IF YOU WANT TO SEE HOW GREAT A WOMAN CAN PLAY GO TO:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid … 8155490115
I wish I could play 10% like her.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

This is not easy, and SORRY for what I'm about to write, often these female rockers aren't heterosexual.
- JOANN JETT
- JOAN BAEZ
- EMMILOU HARRIS
- WILSON SISTERS: HEART
- COURTNEY LOVE
- JULIANA HATFIELD
- POISON IVY
- RUYTER SUYS, band NASHVILLE PUSSY see http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid … 4988366302 but EXPLICIT LYRICS!!!, I don't like the VOICE of the SINGER, the music ids really heavy, and if they should take ANOTHER singer, I'm sure they would sound better, AGAIN A "GRAVEYARD" voice, and not fitting in the global picture.
Karen Cuda = female bass player.
- KATHLEEN HANNA

A good comparison is = why are the TOP CHEFS in a HAUTE CUISINE restaurant MASCULINE?At home you see the woman cooking so why aren't they CHEFS in a Top Resto?
About music, the "real rockers" is one of the last MALE BASTIONS. It's not done to play as a woman in a ROCK BAND. You will find more singer/song writers
I also have the impression that other instruments are more associated with women like VIOLIN, PIANA, FLUTE = SOFTER instruments.
For most of us a ROCK BAND is still a MALE BASTION.
Spread the word

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Kaki King is fabulous. I think she was named like Guitar Queen recently or something.
Her guitar work is astounding.

(0)==#paranormal guitar wrote:

KT Tunstall

Great voice, brilliant musician...
Used to have a crush on her

to be honest, i still do... smile

don't ever stand aside, don't ever be denied
you gotta be who you be if you're comin' with me
cool
okay??

Oh dear - no-one mentioned the greatest female guitarist of all time, Sister Rosetta Tharpe. She was a formative influence on the electric blues, albeit her blues were gospel based. This is a cracker of a version of Down by the river side. Just listen to the raunch in her playing. In her time she would have been in the top 5 of all blues guitarists.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xzr_GBa8qk

"What's so funny 'bout peace, love and understandin' ."    Elvis Costello

And you could try this Sister Rosetta one for size as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeaBNAXf … re=related

"What's so funny 'bout peace, love and understandin' ."    Elvis Costello

Realizing I'm late to the party, but you really can't forget Joan Armatrading....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlODDcFnOrs

Click on the other links too; my personal fav is "Weakness in Me"

_debs_

Maybell Carter deserves a mention here.  She is very influential,  and She was Johnny Cash's Mother-in-law.

No-one's mentioned Charlotte Hatherley, the former guitarist for Ash

emmm
Hayley Williams????
and me:L:L

I like cheese:P
               And Paramore:cool:
               And my guitar:D

do not forget the go-gos!!! Jane Wiedlin is pretty amazing!!!

here we are now, entertain us!
<3kurt cobain, smells like teen spirit

Prince...what????? He's a man? Get out??!!!!!

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

im seriously suprised that barely any of you have mentioned the Wilsons from Heart!!!!!!!!!!!They're my inspiration!!

if you dont rock...........you had better roll

imahollowplay wrote:

Kaki King is fabulous. I think she was named like Guitar Queen recently or something.
Her guitar work is astounding.

I couldn't believe the thread got that long without anyone mentioning Kaki King!!

Or how about Ani difranco.  Both of those women are AMAZING guitarists.

and yes, I think this its absurd to say women can't rock it out like men.

Brody Dalle. From the Distillers and, more recently, Spinnerette.  She Married Josh Homme.  They have a kid.

Keep shreding

I'm new here but I just had to respond. You people have some good choices but you're missing a few key players.
Lucinda Williams
Patti Griffin
Mary Gauthier
Janis Ian
Kathleen Edwards
Grace Potter
Beth Orton
Natalie Merchant

OK -that's all for now!!

Henry

Female drummers - the Honecombs, the Velvet Underground (Mo Tucker), the White Stripes, the Carpenters.

Female bassists - Carol Kaye session player, name an early 60s hit and odds are she's playing on it no matter what bass player was in the band, the Adverts, loadsa groups nowadays.

'The sound of the city seems to disappear'

upyerkilt wrote:

I really dont want to sound sexist here at all but I do not rate any woman guitarists high in the rankings of guitar players.
Yes, there will be excellent guitar players that are female and would kick my butt and other male proffesionl players, but I just cant think of any that I would put in the top ten of guitar player be them male or female.
But I do like KT and Cheryl crow and ,, and, maybe a few others, but I would not say they were particularly excellent on guitar even though their songs might be superb.

I was talking about this subject last week in a pub and got hounded by a few females.

I couldnt name any women drummers either or bass players. PLenty of excellent singers but not musicians.
Maybe I need to be told a few names of women musicians to make me change my mind on how I think?

Sorry to the females that read this and think I am being a male sexist chauvanistic swine.
I do try to break free from this label I have given myself over the years of not thinking before I speak,lol

Ken

It's often assumed that the best guitarists will be electric players who play very technical and/or very fast fretboard shredding type of guitar  (not saying that's your assumption, upyer) but I've long since got bored of this style of music. Of the others mentioned above, I've seen videos of Kaki King play and again and her technical prowess leaves me a bit cold (though I am a fan of the Ovation guitars she uses). I'd be more interested in players with a talent for melody, harmony, improvisation, rhythm, compsition etc. In this regard I'd consider Joni Mitchell one of the best guitarists and all-round musicians in the world full stop, regardless of gender.