Topic: PICKUP UPGRADE

I've done the requisite search and have found varying degrees of answers, but would like to ask in my own fashion to come to a more sensible conclusion.  Thanks in advance for any replies.

I recently got an Epi LP Standard Plain Top and the rest of the goodies and would like to maximize bang for buck.  Maybe erroneously, I'm assuming that 99% of the tonal quality of a solid body electric lies in the pickups.  I don't really know where I stand on my Epi.  It said Alnico Classic Humbucker pickups.  Bottom line question is, drum roll, could I mimic the Gibson LP and buy replacement pickups that the Gib uses, install them in my Epi, and be a little bit closer to tonal nirvana???

I'm happy with the neck straightness on the guitar.  Action was high so I lowered it.  I may pull out the tuner and work on intonation adjustments, but it doesn't really seem to need it.  No fret buzz after lowering action so I'm happy about that.  Everything is fine and I'm not sure if I'd even notice the change with new pickups, but who knows and I've got a couple hundred I could spend on it.  I like gadgets and I like making things better, so this is more of just a fun project than a need.

If you think I might benefit, what pickup would you recommend?  I looked at what the Gib's come with stock.  Depending on model, there must be the perverbial 'best' one.  If going this route is good, would they likely fit in the space left by the Epi stock pickups?  Wiring should be no issue (I have 9 electrical/instrumentation technicians who work for me).

Let's say I buy a pair of Gibson Burstbucker Pro's.  Am I moving forward?

Again thanks in advance.

Re: PICKUP UPGRADE

I think a lot of that depends on what kind of music you want to play...The  Burstbucker Pro's should be a great replacement. They can give you a wide range of tones from clean to pretty aggressive! Seymour Duncan website has lots of info on different pickups and sounds...

Middleaged Redneck sorta guy who refuses to grow up...passion for music, especially Southern Rock but like bout everything cept Gangsta/Hip Hop. Collect guitars, mandolins, and love to ride Harleys.

Hi Llnxpilot,

Jaygordon75 has the answer. 
It DOES depend on what sound you are going for!  Seymour Duncans are good, EMG has nice pickups also that might get you there.
Also remember that your Epi is just a Gibson built offshore, although I think the factory pickups aren't as good as those used on  Gibson built here in the States...  they're not bad.  It is really a matter of taste and if you aren't getting what you want from what you have, something has got to change.  Either the pickups or the amp and pickups are cheaper! (sometimes anyway)

Take Care;  Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

The question is............. Do all Les Paul guitars sound similar?  No.

Burstbuckers are pretty hot pick ups and do sound good.  So, I'm not bashing Gibson.  I prefer Rio Grande Pickups.  I've played a few different brands and the BBQ Bucker is my fave bridge pickup.  I had a Big bottom set in my Strat and it was incredible.  I don't work for Rio Grande, they have something special in their gear.  A local guitarist gave me the Rio tip a long time back.  His tone was great and his rig wasn't that impressive (so unimpressive, I can't remember what he played) 

I have a mahogany body with maple cap guitar with a BBQ Bucker in the bridge and a Seymour Duncan '59 in the neck, a great combo.

Bob
Grantville, PA
Trying to get back into the swing of playing more.

Also check out the pot of your Epi. The classic  LP pot is a 500k one, if your Epi has a standard 250k pot then think of changing that too to go with the pickups. Also are you trying for the P-90 or the humbucking Les Paul sound?

'The sound of the city seems to disappear'

cytania wrote:

Also check out the pot of your Epi. The classic  LP pot is a 500k one, if your Epi has a standard 250k pot then think of changing that too to go with the pickups. Also are you trying for the P-90 or the humbucking Les Paul sound?

Will check out the pot situation.  I put the BB Pro's in and it definitely sounds better.  Also got a Blues Deluxe, so now it's much better.

Was considering wiring the pots for independent pickup control rather than neck+master or bridge+master (can't remember which).  Any thoughts on doing this?

Just a quick reminder on humbuckers -
Alnico II magnets = a more spingy, soft bass but sweet smooth highs
Alnico V magnets = bolder, tight bass but slightly edgier highs
Amount of winding in k ohms impacts overall response and output level. Lower numbers (say 7k) means lower output but wider frequency response, higher numbers (10k and up) means a hotter pickup but often with less highs and lows.
Finally, the Gibson '57 Classic and the Burstbuckers are very similar except the Classics have balanced coils for a smoother tone while the Burstbuckers have mismatched coils for more bite.

Aside from the popular brands, Rockfield and Tone Rider both offer vintage approved, Alnico II humbers for about half the price of the bigger names. GFS has Alnico V models for equally good prices.