Topic: Dressing up a Martin D18!

I just got my D18 in and am already wanting to make some changes to her appearance... I explain a little more and have pics posted here http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/foru … p?t=134099 I'd appreciate your opinions! Thanks! -Pix

Sorry for posting a link to anouther forum but it was a lot easier than re-typing everything and getting picture links smile

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

Re: Dressing up a Martin D18!

I think the tortoise pickguard would be a nice touch along with some fancier end pins for the strings...mine are black with an abalone dot. I also like your idea of Gold tuners... I don't know how you would gloss the headstock...I wonder if some sort of clear coat would work? Something that would add the gloss without covering up the Martin logo and such...

Middleaged Redneck sorta guy who refuses to grow up...passion for music, especially Southern Rock but like bout everything cept Gangsta/Hip Hop. Collect guitars, mandolins, and love to ride Harleys.

3 (edited by Guitarpix 2008-08-27 15:05:52)

jaygordon75 wrote:

I think the tortoise pickguard would be a nice touch along with some fancier end pins for the strings...mine are black with an abalone dot. I also like your idea of Gold tuners... I don't know how you would gloss the headstock...I wonder if some sort of clear coat would work? Something that would add the gloss without covering up the Martin logo and such...

I'm pretty sure I can just buff out the satin to a gloss without having to add any more finish. Thinking probably gold groover or waverly gold open back tuners would look nice. I'm thinking white ivory pins to bring out the rosette but I'm not sure what kind of inlays/dots to go with. Thanks for the input! -Pix

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

Hey there Guitarpix,

Looked at the photos.... Nice Martin!  A word of caution about buffing out the satin finish though.  Sure would be nice to find out what finish was applied stock.  Polyurethanes will have enough film build to buff, but if they used a more traditional finish like nitrocellulose laquer with a flatting agent (powdered oyster shell), there may not be enough finish to take a lot of reduction.  Also with a flatting agent you likely will not ever be able to get a high gloss finish.... maybe just a higher gloss.  In which case the best option would be to overcoat with gloss and buff it in.  Laquers tend to be hot, so if you are unsure about what's under it be careful!

I'm pretty sure "wrinkle finish" isn't going to be pleasing if it blows up!

Tortoise shell is ichi ban! IMO

Take Care;  Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Hey Pix, That is a sweet lookin guitar,I thought mine was a little drab when I bought it but after playing it for awhile I was so blown away by the sound that looks don't matter that much anymore.I would go for the bridge pins and a cool guitar strap and leave the rest alone.

Later Wayne P

Later, Wayne P