Topic: song; chords D, G, A7 only

i can't find any songs that have only those chords |:

can someone help? because i'm sort of new at this whole tab thing xD

2 (edited by Zurf 2008-09-24 21:45:47)

Re: song; chords D, G, A7 only

Well, here's some suggestions that are close.  First suggestion is that I never, ever play tab.  Not because there's anything wrong with tab, but because it is very difficult for me and I do this for fun rather than challange.  If you have different motivations or different ideas of fun, just toss this suggestion out as well-meaning but not useful.

Drive On - by Johnny Cash.  It uses D, G, A but you could substitute A7 for the A and see if you like it.

Were You Born an A**hole by Jimmy Buffett.  Ditto the A7 for A substitution.

Distantly In Love by Jimmy Buffett (really Steve Goodman, but Jimmy recorded it).  Ditto the A7 for A substitution.  Call it jazz if anyone complains. 

Peace Train by Cat Stevens, but simplify the arrangement by playing G for Bm.  Really fast strumming song - lots of fun and challenging (to me anyway).   I use a capo on the second fret but that's not necessary.

If you can learn to do an "E", add Bloody Mary Morning by Willie Nelson.

Once you have the "E", move it up one string to be an "Am" and you can add Last Dance With Mary Jane by Tom Petty.  That requires a "hammer on" to sound right.  Would be a good stretch goal song for you.   

If D, G, and A7 are the only chords you know right now, in addition to trying a couple of songs, I'd recommend adding E to your repertoire of chords and you'll expand available songs a great deal. 

Good luck, and have fun.  You're on your way!  What a better place to be, eh? 

- Zurf

p.s.  In case you didn't pick up on it, I don't really care about playing songs 'right.'  Just play.  If it puts a grin on your face, that's enough.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

it's for a test in my guitar class, that's why i can only use those there
;3;

ooh, i'll try and see if drive on tickles my fancy with A7. C:

thank you :'D

4 (edited by cameronkl7 2008-09-24 23:42:48)

Hi TheKellyaffair,

I'm not sure if this is any help for you but it's close, not sure in your taste of music, but there are a couple of old classics by Hank Williams, one is called "Half As Much"..and the other is "I can't help it", it's not excatly the chords you ask for but "half as much" uses , at least in one version's I have it uses  A7 D D7 G...the other one is"I can't help it" usesthe same chords. I realise you mentioned this is for a class I think, so you probably might not be able to use it, but maybe someone else on here with more experiance than myself can tell you if you can skip, or use one of the required chords instead on the D7, and I'll keep an eye open fpr something excatly as you asked for but most likely someone will know a song on here that is excatly as you needed, good luck and let us all know how it goes. Oh, if You can't find one, maybe you could put together a song yourself with those chords, might really impress your Teacher.

Cam

Keep a fire burning in your eyes
Pay attention to the open sky
You never know what will be coming down

That's a 1 - 4 - 5 progression (blues).  Any song that is in a 12-bar blues type progression could be transposed into this key. 
For example . . . "Crossroads" and "Johnny Be Good" are both 12 bar blues songs that could be transposed to D - G - and A7.

Wut Royce said. Find you a 3 chord song in a 1 - 4 - 5, transpose to the key of D and play, play, play.

nela

Zurf wrote:

Just play.  If it puts a grin on your face, that's enough.

That's perfect, Zurf...that sums it up. That's what it's all about. Wise words

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

eric bogle's "and now im easy"

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

Go back to the 50's, 60's and the 70's and there are a whole bundle of 3 chord songs, a few are:

Catch The Wind - Donovan
Do You Want To Dance - Cliff Richard
Home On The Range - Traditional
Michael Row the Boat Ashore -Peter, Paul and Mary
Rave On - Buddy Holly
When You Say Nothing At All - Ronan Keating
Working Man - Rita MacNeil

Then there are Christmas Carols:

Good King Wenceslas
Jingle Bells
Once In Royal David's City
Silent Night

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Hey Thekellyaffair!  Thanks so much for making me think.  I played "Distantly In Love" last night using A7 substituted for the A to see how it would sound and it sounds great!  From now on, I'll probably throw in some A7 strums with the A picking patterns I use in that song. 

Thanks Geoaguiar.  That thought is so far from my usual mode of operation, but it is how I approach music.  I used to be a classical bassist and did everything with great precision.  Just banging away on a guitar and hoping something comes out OK is a lot more fun (for me). 

- Zurf

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

11 (edited by alvee33 2008-09-25 14:30:23)

Amazing Grace fits it perfectly

http://www.chordie.com/chord.pere/?url= … ranspose=0

Ooops, just noticed there's a D7 in there sad

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

My two years of self taught  experience  is that I believe in having fun.  If my cord progression  is not pefect and smooth , or the rhytum is not pefect, don't worry about it.  Especially if you are playing and singing by your self.  However, when playing and singing in a group one must be in rhythum with bass  and lead..  Otherwise ,just have fun.  DO MOST OF YOU AGREE?

tophand75662 wrote:

My two years of self taught  experience  is that I believe in having fun.  If my cord progression  is not pefect and smooth , or the rhytum is not pefect, don't worry about it.  Especially if you are playing and singing by your self.  However, when playing and singing in a group one must be in rhythum with bass  and lead..  Otherwise ,just have fun.  DO MOST OF YOU AGREE?

very much tophand, and welcome to chordie.

If you are playing alone or solo, yuo can make mistake but in a band it stands out more if no one lse knows what yer doing.

having fun is what it is all about

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

tophand75662 wrote:

Absolutely!  Stick with the bassman, he won't steer you wrong.  (hee hee)  Unless your bassman is kind of tall, bald, and has a salt & pepper goatee that is, then don't trust him worth a lick!  (lick, get it?  awwww, never mind)

Silliness aside, I do agree. 

- Zurf

Hey Jude - Beatles
Technically it has D7 and A in there too but it's there or thereabouts for your purposes!

Shane

Am I wrong? Does "House of the Rising Sun" work for those chords?

17 (edited by Stonebridge 2008-09-30 07:28:32)

emmys wrote:

You'll need more than 3 for that song!! wink

To my mind these are the classic Cowboy Chords so....

Folsom Prison Blues
Cold Cold Heart

Or almost ANY country song

Stonebridge wrote:
emmys wrote:

You'll need more than 3 for that song!! wink

my bad!

Tell you what's fun.
If you can play D, A and E , "Shake it up, baby" by the Beatles and "La Bamba by Ritchie Vallens (take your time and stick your ear in the stereo untill you get the Spanish prounciation right) can be played as a medely - both having the same chords.
You can switch from one song to the other and back and the strum and chord patterns stay the same.

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

thekellyaffair, your teacher wants you to find a tabbed song that uses these three chords?
is that right?
it seems like a strange thing to ask a student to do...

Mandolin>guitar

How about Mamas don't let your babies grow up to be cowboys by Willie Nelson? There's a 1 step key change in there, but the chord forms are the same throughout, D, G and A7 only.

Only love can braek your heart by Neil young. Really easy to play and very satisfying!

OK . . . thekellyaffair . . . how about some feed back. 

Your original post was on 24 Sep . . . it's been over 3 weeks . . . did you have the "test" yet?  What did you go with?  How did it go?  Inquiring minds wanna know . . . .

you can do labomba with those chords. sorry if this is late!