Topic: 73 gibson electronics

ive got a 73 gibson has an odd looking electronic and cant seem to find a replacement for. it belonged to my dad and id like to have it restored, its got a few dings and the finish is colored. can this be sanded and redone?  the serial #030084.ive been told that the 84 was the year of manuf. i dont see how that could be.. thanks for your input. i dont know how to attach photos but ive got them for e-mail

Re: 73 gibson electronics

You can email Gibson Customer service and get some information about the guitar...be sure to include the serial number...a photo would help also...especially if someone has modified it over the years. Also check it's value before refinishing...

Middleaged Redneck sorta guy who refuses to grow up...passion for music, especially Southern Rock but like bout everything cept Gangsta/Hip Hop. Collect guitars, mandolins, and love to ride Harleys.

Hey Slopicker,

I have an Epi in that vintage that I was trying to find a part for and finding "real info" on Gibson Products prior to 1977 can be a challenge.

Found this link though that might be useful to you:  www.guitardaterproject.org/gibson.aspx

Ran your number through it and guessed at the labeling and it came back with 70-72 manufacture date.  With better info you might be able to nail it down a bit more.

My Epi also suffered some dings and is the sunburst finish in which the clear has tint in it to give the colored effects.  I was able to tint some clear urethane close to color and filled in the divots with a small detail brush, which wet sanded out flush and buffed in without any noticeable problem....  getting the color right was the hardest part.  Having a friend in the auto paint department of a local store was nice as he was able to provide me with tiny amounts of the tints needed to do the project at very reasonable cost.  It was kind of like fixing a rock chip on a hood.

Take Care;  Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

slopicker wrote:

ive got a 73 gibson has an odd looking electronic and cant seem to find a replacement for. it belonged to my dad and id like to have it restored, its got a few dings and the finish is colored. can this be sanded and redone?  the serial #030084.ive been told that the 84 was the year of manuf. i dont see how that could be.. thanks for your input. i dont know how to attach photos but ive got them for e-mail

Don't restore you will lose collectors value, can you describe the electronic you are speaking of.

Bootlegger.

Hi and welcome back Bootleger,

Your presence has been sorely missed.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"