1 (edited by Stonebridge 2008-11-04 21:22:01)

Topic: That G chord in the Google Ad on the home page...

There is an ad running at the moment on the Chordie home page for "Guitar Chords Made Simple".
(I appreciate this may be a targeted ad (based on my cookies or location) and not everyone is getting it. If this is the case, you can see what I mean on the home page of the guitarchordsmadesimple website.

Is that how everyone fingers a G chord? I use 2nd, 3rd and 4th(little) fingers, not 1st, 2nd 3rd as that guy does.
I've always thought that fingering to be awkward and mine to be more natural, and, more to the point, easier to get to other chords from it.
What do you all think?
Have I been doing it wrong for 37 years? wink

Re: That G chord in the Google Ad on the home page...

I cannot se this ad bt I know what you are describing.

I Dont use my pinky finger when plying G most times. But sometimes if I know I will be using my ring finger to hold down the 3rd fret on the B string then I will use my pinky on the high E.

I tihnk most people may use their Pinky rather than their ring finger.

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

I first learned with 1/2/3 but switched to 2/3/4 when I saw someone play it that way. It means strengthening the pinky but is worthwhile as it makes certain changes easier e.g. between C and G. And there is no 'wrong' when playing guitar!

I use the pinky to cover the 3rd fret of both the 5th and 6th string.  I dont know why I learned it that way

Hi Stonebridge,
There's a pretty good chord website here:
http://www.all-guitar-chords.com/

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

I use my third it gives me the option of playing the b string third fret (d) with the e string third fret (g) for a more country sound smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

I use 2/3/4 now but was taught to use 1/2/3. For me 2/3/4 gives me a free finger to add C note (2nd string, 1st fret) for a little extra flavor. It's all about comfort each has it's advantages. Also as mentioned above, the switch to open C it lightning fast. I've found that I can't go back though so choose wisely. Once you get used to a certain way it's hard to change back!!1

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

tubatooter1940 wrote:

Hi Stonebridge,
There's a pretty good chord website here:
http://www.all-guitar-chords.com/

Thanks tubatooter but I'm not sure what this has to do with my post. wink
By the way. I think you'll find that this one
http://chordfind.com/
is a bit better as the chords change instantly and you don't need to press the "get" button every time.

flester wrote:

I first learned with 1/2/3 but switched to 2/3/4 when I saw someone play it that way. It means strengthening the pinky but is worthwhile as it makes certain changes easier e.g. between C and G. And there is no 'wrong' when playing guitar!

Thanks flester.
There was meant to be irony in my question about getting it "wrong". wink
Maybe it didn't come across. It there one of those little emoticon things for "irony"?

The point I was making was that there must be many who have used a teacher or had more formal guitar tuition. (My brother is going for lessons next month with a guitar teacher.)
Were any of you taught that the "correct" fingering is as I described, or were you taught that either is correct. Or what?

Thanks to everyone who has replied so far. It is interesting to hear people's different experiences.

Hi Stonebridge  I play "G" as you do ..I find it puts the 1st finger in a good position to help in a "G" lick
                       and the 2nd finger is in an easy position for quick bass run to "D" Also helps to get a
                       quick change to "C".... Like you I might have been doing it wrong for years...but it works.

Russell_Harding wrote:

I use my third it gives me the option of playing the b string third fret (d) with the e string third fret (g) for a more country sound smile

Mutant.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

12 (edited by LesPaulGuy 2008-11-05 18:44:26)

I play the "G" using the 1/2/3 position but every now and then I'll put the ring finger on the "D" string and put my pinky on the "e" for a more full effect

I was taught that way but I agree, if I could go back and change it I'd learn the 2/3/4 to gain pinky strength

Oh also, I use JamPlay a lot for my chords ... great variations as well

http://www.jamplay.com/guitar-chords/fr … hords.html

"Rhythm drives the Rock-n-Roll train"

Gibson Les Paul/PRS Custom/Ovation Celebrity Koa
Line6 SpiderIII 75

I've always played G how it's done in that ad....

-Kerry-

All I know is I feel better when I sing.
Burdens are lifted from me.
That's my voice rising.

Well, I just checked out the ad.  I do the "G" chord that way, and I also usually wear the model's "what was that sound - did I do that" expression when I play too.

- Zurf

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

I prefer to leave my pointer finger open to do fills( the ole nashville G run). The way this guy plays his G his open finger is the pinky and there's not a lot one can do with the pinky in this particular chord using his way of fingering.

fret/finger;

3(ring)2(middle)0  0  0   3(pinky) 

pointer finger is open to add fills on DG&B strings

Give everything but up.

Hi Stonebridge,

I usually use my "pinky" for the high E, with my ring finger holding down the B string on the 3rd fret, especially on The Eagles "Take It Easy" sounds nice, I was shown it by a guy called John Rodge in Llanelli in 1968 who was showing me variations on certain chords, he tried to teach me to play properly but failed, I'm still crap, ask Russ Harding!

Phill tongue

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

I'm with southpaw41L. I learned using the pointer, middle, and ring. but quickly relized that using the middle, ring, and pinky provided easier and quicker chord cnanges! I only use the pointer, middle, ring, and pinky in certain songs. I actually use two [three and four fingered] versions in the song "God Shuffled His Feet" by the Crash Test Dummies!
                                                                                                  getfiddle

A musician is someone with too much time on their hands! Thank god I'm a musician!!!

I think the G Chord as featured on the front page of Chordie is easiest placement of fingers for a beginner. Using the pinky to hold down the high E can be very painful to a novice and off putting in the early stages learning.
Other placement of fingers can be learnt futher long the road of learning.

That said I play G in the easiest position for the song I'm playing.
Just do enough....
Ark

You know I double checked and I actually don't play it like the picture shows.  Who knew?  I thought I played it that way, but apparantly I don't.  You'd think I would know what I do.  C'est la vie.

- Zurf