Topic: Your Guitar

Hi.
       i was just wondering what type of guitar everyone learned to play on and what type their playing on now

The world is only going to get worse!

Re: Your Guitar

My first guitar ever was a Rogue 101B dreadnought in black, an $80 deal.  I'm still playing it three years later and love it.  I'll continue playing it until I can afford a Martin or something.  My first electric was a Danelectro Hodad 12-string, but I'm sad to say she's gone to a new home now as my new Ibanez RG is on its way.  I'm planning on keeping this Ibanez for quite some time.

"A steering wheel don't mean you can drive, a warm body don't mean I'm alive"
Switchfoot

My first guitar was a sears and roebucks 6 string acoustic the brand name was "Stella" I now play several, the main one is a standard so1 strat made in china also i have a hohner acoustic and a Dobro hound dog slide smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

I learned to play on a Guild acoustic, great guitar, still have it 35 years later, it a great guitar with great tone and resonance.  I have recently made a Weissenborn replica slide guitar but still love the Guild.

It was a cheap nylon-string classical I bought 37 years ago while an impoverished student. My first steel-stringed (a year later) was an Eko. No idea what model as it is long since gone.

My very first guitar was an acoustic YAMAHA FG 300, with a hummingbird pick guard.
My first electric was a GIBSON LES PAUL STUDIO, in 1992, brandnew for 500$ (through the customs, having a friend there is very good.  I had a lot of problems with that one.
She NEVER stayed in tune. In 1996 I bought a PRS CUSTOM 24n, VERY EXPENSIVE HERE, because almost unknown, and better, I got 1200$ for my STUDIO.
Al the other guitars came later, and my top 3 is
1) DUESENBERG 49er
2) PRS Custom 24
3) GIBSON LES PAUL SUPREME.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

My first guitar was hollow and had six strings.That's all I can remember about it.The first guitar that I tried to play and promptly put out of tune was my step-dads Gibson Hummingbird.(behind his back)He played Country/Western in the local bars and treated his guitar with love and care.
I can now say in hindsight I should have asked him first. sad
The first guitar I bought was a Norman.I wish I could remember the model as it was a great guitar.The body was a dark brown wood with no finish.
Thanks for the memories,I'm gonna do search on my first guitar. smile
Kenny

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

Good question!!
I have no idea what make my first acoustic guitar was.
About 1992 I got an old battered guitar with a twisted neck and a duff machine head key on the G string.
It was full of wee pin holes caused by darts rebouding off the wire and hitting the guitar. No matter whre the guitar sat in his room the darts were sure to find their way to the guitar.
He had a few others that were well out the way and protected.
I used to play bout with his guiars all the time and he ended up giving me this tatty one, in fact thinking about it, it might have been his brother that gave me it. Anyway it done the trick for about 18 months until I got a new one, But mostly I think I learned on my father in laws guitars ( or he was my father in la to be back then)
The first one I bought was a hohner countryman. It had a green body and that looked unusual to me. That's what made me buy it. I was a bit too embarrassed to play it in the shop so I just strummed it once and said OK I will have it. Big mistake,lol. It also had a twisted neck but I never took it back. I still have it but it sits in a cupboard.

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

9 (edited by washed by Him! 2008-11-29 16:24:58)

It all started when my dad got a Yamaha accoustic to start to play. me and my bro asked him to make us one so he made one(he's quite skilled with a band saw)with fishing line for strings, and the chord diagrams of A & D drawn on the neck. we eventually broke the strings but we kept on pretending to play live concerts down in our base ment. yeah the one that i really learned to play on was a Nova that i got from my parents at christmas a few years back. i learned the very basics from my dad, then eventually taught myself the rest. I now play on a Behringer package electric guitar.

The world is only going to get worse!

I can't even remember what my first acoustic guitar was, it was cheap ($15) and red and thats all I remember.  My second one was $150 and I wound up giving that one away to the local music school.  The one I play now is a Washburn.

"I don't have pet peeves...I have whole kennels of irritation."  --Whoopi Goldberg

Wow good question, and one requiring much more memory cells than I think I have anymore (it's an "old age" thing).

First guitar was an old Alvarez that I got in 1972 from a Doctor, who happened to be the dad of my girlfriend at the time.  He played in his youth and quit because the calluses interfered with his ability to "feel" the knife in surgery.  Nylon, classical and a pretty nice guitar as I recall.  He taught me a few chords and with the help of a Mel Bay book.... I was on my way!  Took a couple classical lessons and when I was able to afford it, moved on "up" to a 12 string Matao (which I still have in semi-retirement for those special occasions when I want to sound really terrible!). 

Over the years I have aquired and sold a few others.... another 12 string, a Yamaha, a Strat (which I wish I still had it was from the 60's).  Currently I'm down to three besides that old Matao, a classical (built locally), an older Epi ST275, and a newer Ovation acoustic/electric Adamas body.  Just about enough of an arsenal to do everything I want to without going broke.

The funny thing is that you can only play one at a time....

Take Care;
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

12 (edited by ozymandias 2008-11-29 22:30:58)

Doug_Smith wrote:

Wow good question, and one requiring much more memory cells than I think I have anymore (it's an "old age" thing).

First guitar was an old Alvarez that I got in 1972 from a Doctor, who happened to be the dad of my girlfriend at the time.  He played in his youth and quit because the calluses interfered with his ability to "feel" the knife in surgery.  Nylon, classical and a pretty nice guitar as I recall.  He taught me a few chords and with the help of a Mel Bay book.... I was on my way!  Took a couple classical lessons and when I was able to afford it, moved on "up" to a 12 string Matao (which I still have in semi-retirement for those special occasions when I want to sound really terrible!). 

Over the years I have aquired and sold a few others.... another 12 string, a Yamaha, a Strat (which I wish I still had it was from the 60's).  Currently I'm down to three besides that old Matao, a classical (built locally), an older Epi ST275, and a newer Ovation acoustic/electric Adamas body.  Just about enough of an arsenal to do everything I want to without going broke.

The funny thing is that you can only play one at a time....

Take Care;
Doug

Senior moment, dude, senior moment!   Old age is a state of mind and I still don't know what I want to be when I grow up!  (53 and still loving life) <grin>   

But, you speak the classic truth, until science and genetics bless us with four arms (or more, like a Hindu God), we can only play one at a time!   Actually if that ever happens, I could be my own Folk group!  LOL

"I don't have pet peeves...I have whole kennels of irritation."  --Whoopi Goldberg

This is a great question- My first guitar was a Harmony, A Canadian made guitar that was very popular in its day, I then got a 12 string Gianninni, which I played for quite a while, then I found an old Martin, circa 1932 in my father in laws basement, which I played for a number of years.  This was an O17, I believe which is a small parlor size guitar.

For several years I stopped playing guitar and took up the piano, but then one day my wife bought me a Seagull, another, great Canadian Made guitar. It got me interested in guitar again and no I have a Martin D28. I think I have my final guitar, I love it.

I am, however, looking at getting an electric guitar and I am going to learn the banjo. keep learning different instruments is my theory. Ya never know when you will need to know a new sound.

My Mom had an old guitar that had a metal bridge. We used to joke about being able to play behind the bridge. You could strum the strings behind the bridge. Knowing our financial status at the time I'm sure it was a cheapie.After Mom passed and two stepmothers I never knew what happened to it after I joined the service. Anyway, to get back to the question. I learned how to pick out HONKY TONK  and Ghost Riders in the sky on it as a kid.
Many years later my wife bought me my Yamaha FG750S. I have had the action adjusted and like it a lot. The idea of looking for something better has crossed my mind but I am afraid I would hurt some feelings so I don't. Anyway, this guitar is capable of doing more than I can offer.

When the Power of Love overcomes The Love of Power the world will be a better place.

I'm still learning to play.  However, I have progressed from a free guitar to another free guitar.  Free is my favorite brand.  One day perhaps I will buy one. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

"If it sounds good, it is good."  --Duke Ellington

My first guitar was a6 string acoustic, the name brand is Vagabond, not very good but it worked.  Currently I have a Washburn, it's amazing!

When we first married, my wife got a job at a resort hotel. I told her to buy a radio for herself with her first paycheck but she came home with a fifty dollar Harmony f-hole acoustic guitar for me.
Three months later I was jamming in bars.
I bought a Mossrite solid body, double neck electric that sounded great but was stolen from my house by a fellow band member.
I bought a Gibson ES330 from my lead guitarist for $185 and it is still my main axe.
I helped my best friend select a Yamaha dreadnought acoustic at a pawn shop and he gave it to me shortly before he died. It is still my favorite acoustic I ever heard.

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

My very first ever guitar, was one i was bought as a 11yr old, to take lessons at school.  I had the lessons for two yrs, then moved along to High School and the guitar was forgotten for 20 yrs..!  My mum kept it for all that time, and now i have it back in my possesion!  My children pick it up and have a fiddle with it from time to time.

Now, the guitar i have learned to play since picking it up again 6 months ago, is a Freshman Acoustic. A lovely guitar, bought brand new for £99. I also have an IbanezGAX70 which has been a wonderful learning tool for the electric player.

The time to be happy, is NOW !

Freshman acoustic, IbanezGAX70, MarshallMG15cd, Digitech:RP100

Some lovely stories in this thread.

My first was an old nylon stringed classical. I think it was 3/4 length and it was held together with black tape. My mother bought it at a church auction, with a winning bid of £7. That saw me learn some basic chords and then I got a copy of a Gibson SG, which I still have sitting in it's case. The pickups are falling out and the switches and knobs don't work, due to it sitting in it's case for the past 18 years or so. I also at this time had a fender acoustic which was a great big fat thing with dubious action.

It was this Fender that I picked up again about 2 to 3 years ago and started to learn all over again. I got so into it again my wife bought me my present guitar which is a Yamaha APX500. Regular chordians will be fed up hearing me go on about how great it is smile

The Fender? My friend now has it and is progressing quite well, I think.

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

Christmas 1958, my brother and I got our first guitars. They were a plastic, four string 'Elvis Presley' ones with an 'autochord', a plastic box that was strapped on the fretboard which had buttons on that pressed the strings to make the chords, but it meant that we could get a song out of it straight away. They came with a set of pitch pipes and a simple song book and I remember that we drove our parents nearly crazy playing 'Home on the Range' over and over.

It did not take long for the 'autochord to break and I had to start pressing the strings myself and soon after the the plastic frets wore down to make playing it impossible. I then progressed to a proper guitar but I cannot remember what that was I'm afraid.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Could this be the forerunner of "Guitar Hero" incarnate lol

Roger Guppy wrote:

Christmas 1958, my brother and I got our first guitars. They were a plastic, four string 'Elvis Presley' ones with an 'autochord', a plastic box that was strapped on the fretboard which had buttons on that pressed the strings to make the chords,

"Growing old is not for sissies"

23 (edited by AccoustikNoyz 2008-12-02 04:48:17)

So I bought a Takamine GS330 dreadnought and it was sweet.  And as I learned, my brother-in-law gave me a Washburn D10, which has a booming voice.  Then within a year and in reward for my progress he and my sis gave me a Taylor 413 30th Anniversary.  I've since bought a Yamaha Electric and Ibanez AR73 electric, but I most appreciate the Taylor.  By the way, Ann & Nancy Wilson (Heart) signed my 1st - the Takamine.  I won't be selling that you know...

my first classical guitar was an aria. still has a great sound. played so much the frett board has GROOVES all down it where its worn out but I love it! Had it for 20 years.

music IS my soul

Zurf wrote:

I'm still learning to play.  However, I have progressed from a free guitar to another free guitar.  Free is my favorite brand.  One day perhaps I will buy one. 

- Zurf

Truth.

There is nothing better than a cheap guitar that sounds great.

My 1st was an Anno-Hoffner nylon stringed classic that was given to me as a gift.  Beautiful instrument.   I now own several more of various types.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]