1 (edited by ozymandias 2008-12-02 18:36:49)

Topic: Self taught or taking lessons

I'm just curious about how many have taught themselves guitar by using books or listening to songs and working them out.  Or learned by having a teacher or taking classes.  I'm not out for an opinion, just satisfying a curiosity.

As for me, I always wanted to play the guitar since I was a kid.  When my daughter got started about 5 years ago and I met her first teacher.  The idea began to grow until I just couldn't ignore it any more.  Plus I really liked the way her teacher handled the subject.  So with the blessing of my wife, I talked to Seth and began to take private lessons with him.  We started with the basic chords, GCDE, Em, A, Am, F and a couple of others.   A few basic strum patterns and finger picking styles.  Then he explained that his philosophy was to start the student off with tunes that they loved.  I love Gordon Lightfoot, so we started off with "Early Morning Rain." and progressed to "House of the Rising Sun".  Every lesson we do another tune that I print from from here and elsewhere. 

I have been at it now for almost 4 years.  To be honest, if left to my own devices, I would have procrastinated endlessly, gotten frustrated and walked away from it.  But, having a teacher, helps me get my rear in gear and practice and hunt for the chords and lyrics.  Then go to lessons and work on them together.  In fact, it's almost like therapy for me, because the tunes we work on typically reflect the mood or season or things I'm dealing with irl.  Here is my teachers website:  http://www.sethausten.com/

So I'm indulging my curiosity and looking for more inspiration and info from the other members. 

Thanks!

"I don't have pet peeves...I have whole kennels of irritation."  --Whoopi Goldberg

Re: Self taught or taking lessons

Howdy Ozy,

Actually I took a few lessons in the beginning of a "classical" nature just to get the mechanics correct (posture, position, picking style etc.), and self taught with the help of a whole bunch of novices like myself sharing what we learned in jam sessions and garage band type environments.

If I had it all to do over again (and I could have afforded the lessons), classes would have been the better way to go.  I say that because I missed out on all the music theory that would have opened new vistas for me in music.  Learning that stuff now after 36 years of playing the darn things, and finally getting to the point where I might be knowledgeable enough to put some of my stuff to music.

Take Care;
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Hi Ozy, Doug.  I'm self taught, from a book and some of the wonderful online lessons on YouTube!   I taught myself the chords from the diagrams in the book, and then was off for a search on easy 3-4chord songs!   I dont know an ounce of any theory, no scales, but all i want is to be able to play a few songs for friends and family to sing along to.. smile  in 6 months, my reportiore is up to around close on 200 songs.

Rachael x

The time to be happy, is NOW !

Freshman acoustic, IbanezGAX70, MarshallMG15cd, Digitech:RP100

4 (edited by bensonp 2008-12-02 21:13:07)

I'm mostly self taught.  I've used chord books and now the internet.  I wish I would have had the passion over the years because I would play for a few months then quit for several years (as many as 20 years at on time).  Now that I am retired, I allow myself to have the pleasure of practicing every day.  It does make a difference.  Really, I feel I only started about two years ago, as opposed to 40 years ago.  If I would have kept at it, who knows, I might be a lot better than I am now.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

5 (edited by ozymandias 2008-12-17 00:27:00)

Thanks for the responses.  I figured there was probably some who combined both self taught and lessons.   I'm afraid music theory is beyond me at this stage of my life, but, then again, I shouldn't say never.  Maybe when my daughter is off to college and living independently.  I may take some courses like that.  The thought of new vistas opening up for me in music is enticing.
I dream of playing some classical tunes, like "Malaguena" (sp??)  Even playing Mason Williams "Classical Gas" (LOL) or doing Debussy's "Claire de Lune".  Thanks for the ideas, Doug.

Yes, Radchael1975, thats exactly my goal, besides playing for myself as a way of relaxing.  When I went to the local music store to buy strings and was chatting with the owner, he also said that he knew somebody else that did the same.  The guy would come home from work and spend an hour or so, just playing to unwind after a long day.   I'v played for friends a couple of times and it's nice to have an appreciative and generous audience. 

Thanks again!

"I don't have pet peeves...I have whole kennels of irritation."  --Whoopi Goldberg

I started at age 10 learning piano, and kept up my studies through to about 18. I learned the theory, did exams etc, but didn't want to take it further. At age 20 I wanted to learn guitar so I taught myself from song books with chords, tabs and musical notation. One I remember well was The Songs of Leonard Cohen. It had all 3 notations in so I could quickly work out how it all fitted together. Together with listening to the songs, which are not so complex, that's how I started. After that I teamed up with friends who were good guitar players (much better than me) and started to play and sing in the folk clubs in the 70s.
I stopped playing in the 80s and have recently started playing seriously again after a break of about 15 years.
I now run a folk club in my local area and try to encourage people to come here and play. I rarely sing in public but this may change as the folk club develops and I start to write my own songs again. Haven't done that for 30 years.

bensonp wrote:

I'm mostly self taught.  I've used chord books and now the internet.  I wish I would have had the passion over the years because I would play for a few months then quit for several years (as many as 20 years at on time).  Now that I am retired, I allow myself to have the pleasure of practicing every day.  It does make a difference.  Really, I feel I only started about two years ago, as opposed to 40 years ago.  If I would have kept at it, who knows, I might be a lot better than I am now.

I actually started when I was about 14-15, but, the teacher who sold me the $15 dollar guitar, just put a book in front of me and then left me to my own devices.  (He was a Public high school music instructor)   No advice or inspiration.  I have ADHD and back in the early 70's,  you can guess how long I lasted without direction.   He lasted at the school for only one year, then got fired for some reason.  It left me with a bad taste in my mouth and I never revived the thought until my daughter started lessons.  Then the old desire flamed back up and the rest is history.  I know what you mean about what if. 

Thanks and enjoy the music!

Self-taught on guitar and self-torture on harmonica.  However, I already had a solid foundation of knowledge about music in general from having been instructed as a bass player and horn player from way back.  I learned how to read music playing trumpet and trombone and tuba.  I took up upright classical bass, and learned a lot about foundation and rhythm through that.  Years later I took up electric blues bass, which is where I learned to put together a riff on a chord without having it all written out for me.  I started using chord charts then and haven't 'read' music since.  In fact, earlier today I was trying to read some music to work out a riff and couldn't remember the notes from bass clef to treble and had to ask for help (in the acoustic forum). 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

2 weeks of guitar lessons and 35 years of actual playing experience.  Not to say that is the best way, but that is how I learned.

JimBusch wrote:

2 weeks of guitar lessons and 35 years of actual playing experience.  Not to say that is the best way, but that is how I learned.

My teacher would definitely say that is a good way to learn.

Got started by learning some basic chords from my pastor, learned strumming on my own.  After that everything was on my own.  It's more work, but it seems more rewarding when you learn something.

"A steering wheel don't mean you can drive, a warm body don't mean I'm alive"
Switchfoot

I'm Self taught. Talk about the blind leading the blind!

When the Power of Love overcomes The Love of Power the world will be a better place.

deadstring wrote:

I'm Self taught. Talk about the blind leading the blind!

LOL, the way I see it, whatever works and brings the pleasure of music to each and everyone of us.....works for me!  <grin> 

My daughter started by picking up an old Sears Silvertone Guitar at my Inlaws house.  AND actually made some decent melodies on an old, beat up, out of tune guitar.   Improvising a tune about a neighbors dog.   We asked if she wanted lessons, she loved the idea and the rest is history.  She had the gift as I see so many here have it. 

It's reading the posts of the self taught and watching my daughter grow in the craft that keep me going and playing!

Classically trained by Craig Sams.(1986)private lessons@ Harvard on the hill. ( NRCC)

I knew how to play piano, Mr. Sams asked me to show him my most impressive piece of music. I played the outro to 'Layla',mixed with the intro to 'Fur Elise', with a tad of 'The Munsters' mixed in, and we began from there.(that was the one and only time I ever made Mr. Sams smile) I have a quote from Mr. Sams taped upon the wall in my music room. It reads, "practice the fundamentals over and over, until the fundamentals become instinctive."

I learned from  Mr. Sams for one full year and he moved on to bigger and better things elsewhere.(???) I have no idea where he went  but I am forever grateful to him for getting me started and headed in the proper direction. We covered a lot of ground in very short period of time. I hope to cross paths with him someday in the future.

Thank you Mr. Sams

Give everything but up.

i was classicaly trained also which does build up great foundations in which to work upon. Its another skill again using that without your books. Im in a delema. I want to teach my nephews by theory. position timing scales and then chords but i have noticed when people get older they get lazy and need the quick fix. got to get them when their young i guess. I ll try a bit of a mixture. If you learn properly then you can learn anything even if you havent heard it before.

music IS my soul

Thanks folks!

good sir, i taught myself.

The world is only going to get worse!

Awesome, I seriously envy those who have done so!

Can't claim I'm totally self-taught! I learned a bit from books, A bit from other people. I do have a friend who just picked up a guitar and without the aid of any books, teachers, or videos, can play just about anything, no matter how difficult! That to me is the true difinition of self taught. So if you didn't learn that way, then you are not self taught. Some people are just that way, wish I was!!!
          getfiddle

A musician is someone with too much time on their hands! Thank god I'm a musician!!!

It would seem the majority are a blend of self taught and books and collaborative doing.  And then there are some who are blessed with the ability to just pick it up.  But, in the end all that matters is just playing and loving it.

21 (edited by badeye 2008-12-13 20:25:50)

No lessons here,  self taught and luvin it.

Badeye      cool

one caper after another

badeye wrote:

No lessons here,  self taught and luvin it.

Badeye      cool

Cool 

Out of curiosity, I am trying to recall what they call the Music style up there in the Atlantic Provinces of Canada??

Hi Ozymandias, We call it Celtic music, it has a lot of Scottish roots.  A guitar and  fiddle can be a lot of fun.

Badeye.. cool

one caper after another

badeye wrote:

Hi Ozymandias, We call it Celtic music, it has a lot of Scottish roots.  A guitar and  fiddle can be a lot of fun.

Badeye.. cool

Thats some of the music I am learning in my "Olde time String Band" group class.  My teacher,  Seth Austen, loves that stuff and he leads our class with a fiddle, while I and one other member plays guitar and and there are several others who play mandolin and fiddle.  It's great fun and challenging!

ozymandias wrote:
badeye wrote:

Badeye.. cool

Thats some of the music I am learning in my "Olde time String Band" group class.  My teacher,  Seth Austen, loves that stuff and he leads our class with a fiddle, while I and one other member plays guitar and and there are several others who play mandolin and fiddle.  It's great fun and challenging!

Check out some local Celtic talent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znqZhiTqt-8

Badeye  cool

one caper after another