Topic: Tuning Peg Repair.

Hello everyone...
Just this morning I discovered a problem on my acoustic guitar. The tuning pegs for A and D are beginning to crack. The two halves are beginning to crack off of the center. When I turn them, putting on stress, they look like they are in danger of cracking right off.
Anyway, I know I have to replace them, and I was thinking of replacing the whole six pegs.
My problem is, I know next to nothing, and I do want to replace them myself. I kinda want to learn more about that stuff, and I'd rather do it on mine than anyone elses. It's not the highest quality guitar.
Any tips? What kind I should buy, and whether it's a super complicated process?

Thanks

Re: Tuning Peg Repair.

Hi Linusguitar. You may want to check out Stew Mac - as far as I know they are the largest supplier of guitar pieces and parts. Here's a link to their tuner page -

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tuners.html

They also sell just the knobs if you don't want to replace the whole tuner:

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tuners/Tuner_parts.html

I'd say just check your measurements carefully as there are several different sizes and styles. Best of luck!

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

3 (edited by Guitarpix 2008-12-30 19:41:50)

Hey Linusguitar,
        Topdown has offered some great links and I second Stew Mac as a parts source! This is a fairly simple swap and you shouldn't have any trouble as long as you get direct replacements. Be sure when shopping that you look at the screw placement on the back of the headstock and you'll need to be sure of the hole size that you have now for the tuning pegs. Also the top washer can vary from diffrent manufactures leaving behind some ugly scars if they're not the same size as the ones you remove. So save all your old parts because if they are slightly smaller you may be able to use the old washers.
    I actually have a set of brand new Gotoh sg30 chrome tuners that are still in the box. http://www.greatguitars.com.au/GotohSG30_33.jpg These have the screw located in the lower center of the tuner. They are a very popular replacement for most guitars... If by chance they will work as a replacement on yours, drop me an email and I'll ship them to you free of charge!!  -Pix

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

Guitarpix wrote:

I actually have a set of brand new Gotoh sg30 chrome tuners that are still in the box. http://www.greatguitars.com.au/GotohSG30_33.jpg These have the screw located in the lower center of the tuner. They are a very popular replacement for most guitars... If by chance they will work as a replacement on yours, drop me an email and I'll ship them to you free of charge!!  -Pix

What a guy that Guitarpix is - offering to send a free set of tuners.

Lets see.... I'm thinking about adding a uke, a mando, a Taylor T5, and one of the new CA 12ers. Oh.. and of course I'd need a new amp for the Taylor.... and maybe some effects. Got anything else in your bag SantaPix? big_smile

I kid, I kid - I really just wanted you to know I think your offer is very cool. Have a happy new year my friend.

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

5 (edited by Guitarpix 2008-12-30 22:38:30)

Thanks Tops! And a Happy New Year to you and yours as well!!

The tuners are no big deal... I got them a while back with the intention of passing them on to someone but they had already got some. So they're just sitting around and might as well go to someone who needs them. -Pix

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tbgv8PkO … annel_page Just for smiles:) This is actually a very easy tune to play and it's so much fun as well!

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

Hi linusguitar,
I've done this job on a friends clasical guitar (very posh but ancient) and it went well. they had individual tuners going through the side of the head, not on a commom rail 3 per side. You carefully unscrew the item and either take up the kind offer from guitarpix if they match or trot off down to your local music shop to match them. try to avoid the cheaper ones as they can have a lot of backlash in the mechanism. Dont strip the wooden thread in the hole by over tightening the tiny screws on refitting. If (when, lol) you do a cocktail stick superglued in the hole cut of flush then predrilled with a tiny drill bit 1/16 inch (or  1.5mm if your working in heathen units!) to take the screw. You dont say where you live but if its anywhere near Swindon, Wiltshire, England. drop me a line and your welcome to come round and I'll assist/do it for you if it helps your nerves.
Ken

Flying is the 2nd greatest thrill know to man.
Landing is the 1st.

Wow !thanks so much for the offer guitarpix, and the advice! do you have the measurements for them? I'll have to measure mine.
I actually don't live anywhere near you, Ken, but thanks for the advice and offer of help. I live in Canada, near Toronto.
Have a great new year!!

If Linus does not want them, I do.  Two of my tuning pegs broke off yesterday.  It's a Martin copy I got at a garage sale.  They're in-line now, but I'm sure I could drill it out for singles.  Did you say "fur bearing"?  I put on some heavier gauge and it was too much for it.  The posts were steel, but the pegs were some kind of cheap stuff that is somewhere inbetween chrome and plastic and zinc.  I ended up tuning it with a visegrip pliers.  I was thinking that you're not a real guitar player until you've tuned a guitar with visegrips.  But it didn't make me any better at playing.