Topic: Looking for a New Guitar

Here is my dilema.  I would like to get a better guitar than my Fender.  I want something that sounds really good, around $500.00.  I would really like a Martin or taylor, but......I am not that good.  What I am wondering is, should I buy a low end Martin or Taylor(are they any good?) or a higher end Washburn or Epiphone for instance.  I know it is always better to try them out first, but what would you do if you just wanted to order one?  Those of you with a lot of experience playing different guitars, which way would you go?

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Re: Looking for a New Guitar

I assume you're talking about an acoustic...I have a Takamine G Series 6 string electric acoustic that I love. It plays as well as anything I've tried. But to each their own. Just try not to get caught up in the name game. Buy the guitar that feels the best for YOU regardless of what the head stock says.

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

I would never just order one.  It is absolutely worth every minute of your time to go and play an instrument before you buy it.   Even guitars of the same make and model will play differently from one run to the next.  This is particularly true of cheaper production guitars made overseas, which is what you will get in your price range.

Go play them, and then you'll know where to spend your money.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

Yes, acoustic.  I have been checking out Takamine also.  And yes, I won't order one without trying it.  That's what I did with my Fender and I am not as happy with it as I thought.  I was just wondering if an expensive lowend would be better than a cheaper highend.  I guess I know the answer to that also, but I'd like to hear some opinions.  Thanks for the replies so far.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

I'd say in most cases yes a high end 2nd tier brand would be better than a low end premium brand. Jerome gives great advice above; play as many as humanly possible. Personally. I'm a big fan of some lesser known brands. You pay extra for the premium name...especially Martin. I have a Yahama F series that I think plays better than some of the lower end Martins. I think people will pay for the headstock that says Martin and Martin knows this.

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

bensonp wrote:

Yes, acoustic.  I have been checking out Takamine also.  And yes, I won't order one without trying it.  That's what I did with my Fender and I am not as happy with it as I thought.  I was just wondering if an expensive lowend would be better than a cheaper highend.  I guess I know the answer to that also, but I'd like to hear some opinions.  Thanks for the replies so far.

Bensonp, 

The tak's are nice but as mentioned by jerome you have you have to play them all. The high end low end does not fly my reasoning being that I have played $125.00 washburns that played better than the ibanez's,ephipones, fenders and ovations on the wall that had a higher price tag.

Good luck.

Bootlegger.

Sounds good guys.  Thanks for the input.

Yeah, it all depends on your style too.  I play mostly fingerpick.  I want a guitar that is bright and has volume.  I've got kind of long, bony fingers, so I also kind of like a little bit wider neck.  It allows me to be a liiiiiiittle bit sloppy with my left hand finger placement and not mute other notes.  My fingers are long enough to handle that.  Also, I've tried finger picks and hate them.  So, when I say fingerstyle, I mean FINGER style, not fingers with picks on them style.  I've tried a lot of different brands and have been consistently suprised.  I'll try three guitars going up a line's price points and find that I love the top and the bottom but hate the middle one.  It's not all about brands.  OK, I'm just rambling on now.  You've got the point.

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Hello Bensonp, A year or so ago i asked the same question that you are asking, and a lot of the replies suggested that i buy a Breedlove, so having took advantage of the sage and wise advice i have allways received from the people who administer and populate Chordie i bought a Breedlove A C 25 /SM and i am very pleased i did its a great allround guitar, it would would allso be suitable for ZURFS bony fingers its great for picking.Good luck with your quest.

10 (edited by cameronkl7 2008-12-09 00:05:27)

Hi Bensonp,

I'm not sure if you've made your mind up or not about your next guitar, but you mentioned a Takamine. You mentioned you wanted to spend around $500.00 Most online sites list the Takamine EG530SSC for around $599.00 "list price over $800.00. I'm not sure if I should mention the site on here, not sure thats allowed, but if you email me, I'll send you a link to the site that has that guitar for $399.95, it's a great deal for a really great sounding guitar, a friend of mine has one it I love it, I hope to get myself one before that price goes off. If you email me, I'll send you a link to that site, please put in the header that your from Chordie so I don't delete it, or if the administraters say it's ok, I'll post the link here!

Cam

Keep a fire burning in your eyes
Pay attention to the open sky
You never know what will be coming down

Cam - I see no harm in posting the link to what you believe is a great deal here as long as you are not affiliated with the site (and I know you are not).

Alternatively, if you look under the user name on his post, you can email them directly by clicking on the E-mail link.

I've got a Tak EF series and I love it!

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Ok TopDown,

I tried to copy the link but for what ever the reason it won't let me..so here it is just type it in

www.worldmusicsupply.com  once you get to that site, theres a search bar, type in EG530SSC
hit search, and there it is. I love this guitar, although I should say it's an acoustic/electric, not sure if Bensonp was looking for just an acoustic or not, but either way, it's a great deal, at least I think so, and no, just for the record, I'm not affilated with them. I should also say that I've never dealt with them but maybe someone else here has and could give any remarks good or bad as to their service.

Cam

Hi Guys,

Now that I posted it again it gave the link...go figure, oh well, look at it, it's a great guitar.

Cam

Takamine has a lot of fans.  I have one signed by Ann & Nancy Wilson (Heart).  It was my first guitar.  But I love my Washburn D10 nearly as much as my Taylor 314CE.  The Washburn at over fifteen hundred less holds it's own very well.  If you'll study the differences you can help make your mind.  THe Tak is narrow neck with bright tones.  The Washburn with thick body booms and has nice spacing between the strings.  The Taylor is in the middle with sweet tones from top to bottom, but does tend to be more treble at times than I like.  Don't buy one without playing it and play a lot of them and you'll be very attached to the one you pick.  In your price range I'd take a look at what Washburn offers.

My first acoustic was a Takamine G Series, baby model.  Was just under $500.  It was great to start out on but after 2 years I hated the sound of it.  Because it was a baby model the neck was even narrower than most.  So it was very hard to play.  I traded it in for a Taylor 214CE this past August.  WOW. What a difference.  Easier to play, sounds heavenly.  smile  I know there are better Takamine's out there, you just have to spend the money.  At least I bought one with a solid top, not laminate.  That's my advice to you as well.  A solid top will be better for resale or a trade in, plus it will be a better lasting/quality guitar.  Spend as much as you can!  To get the best guitar for your buck, like everyone else says, go try them out. 

AccoustikNoyz, that's really cool that you have a Takamine signed by the Wilslon Sisters.  smile

That's All Non-Violence is
--- Organized Love---
        Joan Baez

Yeah, two nice ladies.  The mgr at the show took it and got them to sign.  Pretty sweet.   He called me as they went onstage to tell me they just signed it.

I wanted a thinner body because I stand when I play and felt uncomfortable with a thick body, but still wanted great base and plenty of high range, the fretboard needed to be wide enough to finger pick too.  I played all the guitars in the local shop like this and there was a Taylor 114 CE that was head and shoulders above the rest, had it a year now and love it.  You need to play a bunch of guitars at a Guitar Center or somewhere and see what you like best, one of them will rise to the top.  Good luck.

-Mike

I was confused about which guitar to buy (acoustic) I ended up buying a Brunswick.... and no regrets at all it sounds and feels great

"king of the World"

Well, thankyou for all the sage advice.  I have upped the looking price to $800-1000 now.  Go figure.  I have been trying out a few Martins.  They really sound sweet and feel good.  I really want a Martin Custom D, but I have been reading that some get cracks from low humudity and I live in a low humidity area.  So. I am considering the Martin DX1RGT just because it only has a wooden top.  It sounds great also.  What kind of special care do you need for an all wooden guitar in a low humidity area?  I really don't want to keep it in the case all the time because I like it ready to play when I get the whim, which is usually many short sessions in a day.

Hey Bensonp,

My guitar shop doesn't sell Martins because of the way they are manufactured and shipped.  They can't get them in the winter time at all because it's too cold and they could be damaged in shipping.  From what I've been told they don't season the wood like Taylor does.  Taylor dries it's wood a long time before they even make a guitar.  So they're more durable against climatic changes.  BUT if you do buy a Martin or any other acoustic guitar a humidifier is a must, especially if you live in a dry climate, like I do.  I have one that fits inside the sound hole.  It's got a sponge inside that you get wet, squeeze out the excess, wipe any water off the outside and stick it in.  It also works in high humidity places, leave it dry and it wicks the moisture away.  Good luck!

--- Organized Love---
        Joan Baez

Why not keep the Fender and just save until you can afford the guitar that you really want? Most of the import guitars, Alvarez, Ibanez, Takamine, and many others are a copy of successfull Martin or Gibson designs. Many of the imports are very good and are good values! Some are simply really crappy! Taylor, Breedlove, Collins, and several other U.S. companies make some very good guitars but they are also fairly expensive. I've alway liked Martin guitars and have a long standing relationship with them due to their quality and availability in my area since I was a child. I think the best advice given is to go to the stores and shops and play instruments until you find what you really like and want...then figure out how to afford it.

Middleaged Redneck sorta guy who refuses to grow up...passion for music, especially Southern Rock but like bout everything cept Gangsta/Hip Hop. Collect guitars, mandolins, and love to ride Harleys.

I am going to keep the Fender, but I am pretty set on a new Martin. I am not in a big herry.  I am saving money on the side for my new purchase.  I didn't know about winter shipping for Martin.  I suppose I can wait until spring at least.  Half of my excitement is looking forward to the new guitar so I take my time and read all I can on them and play as many as I can.  I'm really pumped up on this.

All the best then, Bensonp!  Sounds like you've got it all under control!

Cheers
Heather

--- Organized Love---
        Joan Baez

Hi Bensonp,

good luck with your search.  Here's my two cents:

Just over two years ago, I, too, wanted to upgrade from my Fender acoustic.  I, too, live in a low humidity area (Colorado).  I, too, wanted a Martin or a Taylor.  I played many guitars - at least 15 or so (three different shops).  A few Martins, several Taylors, a few "other" brands.  I shopped and played for about a month and a half.  I found that the Martins and Taylors that I really liked (played well, good highs, good lows, good volume, etc.) were waaayyy out of my price range.  I needed to stay under $1,000.  I ended up buying a Parkwood.  It's ALL solid wood, made by Cort - in Korea, I think, though the final set up and quality check is done in the US.  I absolutely LOVE this guitar.  Mine is the PW370M - Grand Concert cutaway.  It was about $700.  The onboard Fishman sounds fantastic!  The only mild downer is that it's exclusive to Guitar Center, so if you don't have one around you will have a hard time getting your hands on one.  Just try a couple of these side by side with similarly priced "big names."  You might like it - I bought it ON THE SPOT!  In our arid climate, it's best to keep it in the case with a humidifier in the instrument.  You can get one for 10 or 12 bucks.

Please let us know what you decide.

Caracena
> One of these days I'll think of a clever signature <

Thanks for the info, Caracena.  I will at least check that out on the internet and compare it to others.  Although, unlike you, I did really like the lower end Martin sound and feel. I'm open to prety much anything.