Re: Looking for a New Guitar

Here's a few websites I'm familar with that can offer information and ideas. I'm sure that there are many more out there...  Have you also considered maybe a pre-owned guitar? That's a big advantage that the Martin, Taylor, Gibson and many other USA made guitar have over most imports...many will hold or increase in value and make for a good investment... 
www.elderly.com    Dealers in new and used acoustic instruments:
www.janetdavismusic.com       Dealer in Folk and Bluegrass acoustic instruments:
www.martinguitar.com          www.gibson.com         www.taylorguitars.com

Hope this helps with some additional info...

Middleaged Redneck sorta guy who refuses to grow up...passion for music, especially Southern Rock but like bout everything cept Gangsta/Hip Hop. Collect guitars, mandolins, and love to ride Harleys.

I have considered a pre-owned, but haven't found anything yet.  You pointed out a couple of sites I haven't been to yet.  I'll try them.  Like I've said, I've got lots of time to research and play before I buy.  Thanks, jaygordon

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

bensonp,

If you can, try out the Martin d-15. It's a solid mahogany guitar and plays beautifully. It's definitely my next purchase. Excellent balance in sound (highs and lows) and has a warm tone with a solid punch when you need it. At most stores, it's a little over 1000$.

Good luck with your search.

Check out Seagull guitars. I have an S-6 Cedar Top. Everyone whom hears or plays it says it sounds great. I had one guy with alot of experience playing tell me I would have to spend around $2-3000.00 to get a better guitar. Seagull Artist Series Peppino D'Agostino Signature Model Cutaway i-Beam Duet Acoustic-Electric Guitar was Acoustic Guitar Magazines Silver medal winner as acoustic guitar of the year behind the Martin D-28. I know the Seagull mentioned is Around $1500.00 but it gives you some idea of the quality of Seagull Guitars.

Learning to play the guitar is easy. Converting that knowlege to sound like music is hard!

I have been playing guitar for only a couple months now.  I am in my mid 40s.  I took guitar lessons when I was a kid but since I'm coming to the end of my mid-life crisis, this is the last thing I wanted to do before I hit the big 5-0.   I own an acoustic Yamaha & now I'm looking at an electric Fender Stratocaster for $129.   Is that a good deal or what?   Any comments?

Thanks.

TROADRUNNER wrote:

I have been playing guitar for only a couple months now.  I am in my mid 40s.  I took guitar lessons when I was a kid but since I'm coming to the end of my mid-life crisis, this is the last thing I wanted to do before I hit the big 5-0.   I own an acoustic Yamaha & now I'm looking at an electric Fender Stratocaster for $129.   Is that a good deal or what?   Any comments?

Thanks.

For the amount of $$ you're quoting, my quess is you're looking at a Squire (by Fender) Strat.  If so, your getting a good deal; see link
http://www.music123.com/Squier-by-Fende … 9.Music123

If you're looking at a Mexican or USA Strat, you're getting an amazing deal.

Either way, best of luck in your quest.

Peace and Guitars,
SouthPaw41L

Give everything but up.

Thanks for your advice SouthPaw41L!

I ended up purchasing off of ebay.   

Here is the link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi … 0308038765

I'll send another post after I receive it to let you know what I think.   By the way, there are 7 more on ebay.

Beware the difference in stratocaster and starcaster.  Sound the same.  Very different, I assume

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Hey Benson, I am in wyoming with probably close to the same climate you are in.It is too dry here for martin or any solid wood guitars.I tried using guitar humidifiers for a while,but  they are kind of a hassle.I decided to humidify my house and now my guitars love it.When my guitars start getting dry the first indication is the g string buzzing.Instead of trying to adjust the truss rod they are asking for moisture.
     It sure has taken the hassle out of it getting a room humidifier.Hope you find the dream guitar. I have a HD-28 that I like alot
there  are some nice taylors in your price range also.If you get a chance try a J-45 Gibson or Southern Jumbo one of them is my next purchase.

Later, Wayne P

35 (edited by trs 2009-02-22 20:39:46)

Benson,

Don't know if you are still looking or not. I recently went through the dillema you are facing.  Went to my local guitar dealer that carried the largest selection and tried as many as I could. After several hours I was pretty sure that Martin had the sound and feel I was looking for, then started shopping for the best deal.  Found a local shop that carried many good second hand guitars, and bought a lovely 1999 Martin D-35 for about 2/3 price of new, and as with most guitars it sounds better with age.  My advice is get the best you can afford and what fits your ear / hands / style.

Oh yea - about the humidity thing.  Martin web site says 50% RH is ideal.  So before you go crazy about humidity buy a cheap hygrometer from you local hardware store (they often have temp and humidty together in a cheap plactic cover of some sort) and see what you place is at.  I live in Canada, its very cold in the winter, and my house is exactly at 50% humidty - so I just don't bother with the hassle of the gizmos or sponges or other stuff.

I bought a TTM Supershop Slayer TTMguitars.com. I bought it over the internet. I read about it on various forums and everybody was very happy about it. Cost around $350. However if I was to buy a more expensive guitar I would never buy one without playing it first. Finding a nice guitar is just as personal as finding a nice girlfriend