Topic: What does a 2nd verse do??

From my gathered knowledge.......a title should be a hook or the "Catchphrase"  of the song and usually repeats in the first line or last line of the chorus, the first verse introduces the story and holds the information, details,description, the chorus is a summary of what the song is about.... then we get to my personal dreaded section of songs... the second verse... Does it continue the story? resolve? what should be a goal that the 2nd verse achieves?.. i am sure there is not a set in stone, fill-in-the-blank way to write a song, but it seems in the majority of my second verses lack the direction my first verses have. Maybe it just depends on the type of song you are writing, i really don't know, but I am asking for a description, definition, or idea that shape your verses after the first one. Thank You!!

[url=http://www.myspace.com/kristenbrassel]www.myspace.com/kristenbrassel[/url]

Re: What does a 2nd verse do??

Off the cuff, how about the same thing as the first? 

Howsa-bout "...it doesn't matter what I say as long as I sing with inflection..."

Styles may vary, toilet paper not included http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toilet_paper

Unh Huh

Embrace what you love.
Start with you.
Do the next right thing.

hi kbrassel [interesting handle]

my only advice is not to have a formula of any kind, granted the chorus must contain the hook [my downfall] but to start a song with a game plan...well!

when i got to the second verse [if your going verse>chorus > verse etc] of "god is it time" was a sort of continuation of the 1st verse which was a flash-back by the soldier out on the battlefield thinking about his wife at home, the chorus is how he pleads with god to let him survive the coming battle and to get home safely. the bridge talks of the battle itself and the fears going through his mind while facing the enemy. the last verse is post battle where he lies in the mud, blood mingling with the enemy's and friends alike, and his final thought before he dies, which are of his wife. then the prayer "god is it time" which i thought was a poignant statement so i used that as the title.

any way i've explained the story behind the song, the story [i think] is the important part of any song and it needn't be earth shattering or relevant to the world at large, but even "doo wha diddy" the manfred man song from the 50's had a story; girl walks down the street, boy chats her up, takes her out and they get married....how simple is that?

moral; don't lose sleep over not repeating the title 10 times in a song, make it sound good and have a catchy hook

phill

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

4 (edited by evsynator 2009-01-15 20:05:45)

rules are made to be broken ... mother of invention ... if they all stuck by the rules it would be boring ... cant do it myself - wish I could ... but its there to be done by more clever adventrous people . you are allowed to do it.

any resemblance to my songs sounding anything like the original is highly unlikely.

Don't feel you have to stick to a formula when writing a song.
As for the 2nd verse, it depends very much on the song, and how many other verses there are.
If you are telling a story, the 2nd verse just continues that story. Don't tell it all in the 1st verse.
If you are declaring your love or your state of mind, the 2nd verse should just be developing the theme started in the 1st. So, as a general "rule" the 2nd verse is either a continuation of the theme from the 1st, or a development of the idea from the 1st. Having said that, and going back to my 1st statement in this post - it doesn't have to be that way!

Hi kbrassel,
This is a very good question - seems to me that the content of a second verse depends on whether your song is a 'snapshot' or a 'movie'.

For instance, Hank William's "I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry" is a 'snapshot' that vividly portrays the emotional impact of being all alone in the world.  Each verse simply adds to the portrait.  In fact, he paints a very strong picture by using both visual and auditory imagery.  For this 'snapshot' song, Williams uses each verse to say the same thing just a little bit differently.

On the other hand, Eric Bogle's "And the Band Played Waltzing Matilda" is a 'movie' that has a plot and tells a complete story.  In this case each verse advances the plot and we see the story unfold step by step.  Likewise, Bob Dylan's "Tangled Up in Blue" relates chapters of a man's lifetime in each verse.  These 'movie' songs use each verse to bring the story closer to completion.

Ideally, any song is a self-contained unit providing the listener with whatever information they need to 'see' what the song is about.  Like Phill Williams said, a song need not be about an earth-shattering topic to be interesting or have impact.

Strive to keep it simple and strive to have each line of each verse 'do something' to make the song complete.  If words or phrases are repeated, they should be nice and juicy and relate somehow to the song's meaning.  This is easy to say - but harder to do.

I often churn out songs that have too many verses . . . for me, it's not 'Oh no, it's too short' - - it is more often, 'Oh no, it's way too long'.

They say that master songwriter Ira Gershwin would distill each lyrical idea down to just one or two words.  Then, he would work to make sure every bit of the song related directly to those words.  I guess his system worked - - we are still singing his stuff.

Hope this is helpful, James

"That darn Pythagorean Comma thing keeps messing me up!"
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_comma[/url]