Topic: Guitar Lessons and Teaching

Hello all,

Stange one and I guess I know already what the answer will be but:-

Does anyone here think that taking proper lessons from a qualified guitar teacher would make huge differences to a novice like me's guitar playing abilities and technique??

I think I know the answer will be "Well DUH!!" but hoping someone says "teach yourself" so I don't have to pay money lol

Re: Guitar Lessons and Teaching

There are plenty of free lessons on You Tube.  Give that a shot.  Lessons never hurt and lots of practice is always good.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Having formal instruction is worth the investment if you're serious about playing guitar

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

Hey, thanks for the replies.

I practice around 2 - 3 hours a day but nothing in particular (no bleeding direction really) apart from playing songs over and over again or learning new ones. The problem, I believe, is a mixture of not having a clue about technique and not having a clue about music. I did have an understanding of music when I was between ages of 8 and 11 when I played the Cello but I can't seem to pull that back out of my memory. Which is very annoying considering I played in a youth orchestra (shocking and a total street-cred killer I know!)

So will seeing a tutor help do you think? I'll pick it all up again because playing guitar comes natural to me and I have a decent understanding from the year i've been playing and a friend who's been playing 10 years says i've made alot of progress in the year and a bit i've been playing now. I've gone from just about banging out "Seven Nation Army" to being able to competently bang out "Summer of 69", "Back in black" and "Highway to hell" without breaking a sweat and even bits of some more complicated solo's in the songs of Avenged Sevenfold. Just want to progress to a standard I could play live

If you decide to take lessons they can be very valuable to you. BUT, be sure to pick the right teacher. I had 2 different teachers that I just wasn't satisfied with so I moved on. One teacher was more interested in showing me what he could do with a guitar rather than teach me the 2nd teacher brought a bango to my 1st lesson and said "it's bluegrass or nothing". Take a little time and think about where you are with your playing and where you want to go. If you want to learn basic chords, chord progressions, how to strum, how to keep timing, how to play rythem or how to play lead have that decided before you commit to the lessons. Remember, at the 1st lesson you are interviewing the teacher. Find out their style, their way to teaching. Let the teacher be aware of your ability. Don't be shy in telling the teacher what you want to learn.

nela

Selecting a teacher that teaches in the same way you learn is critical.    Everyone learns guitar a bit differently.  I'm highly analytical, so I look for teachers that can express things that way.

Short story, though, is the right teacher can help you immensely.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

Wibble

I agree with NELA.  If you take lessons from a teacher, pick the one that will work with what YOU want to learn.  I took lessons from an instructor and not only was it expensive at $80 a month for a 1/2 hour session per week, it was way to slow for me and I was learning "notes".  I had told him I want to learn more chords, powerchords, barre chords, etc but he insisted on me learning notes.  Granted some people want to learn that.  It doesn't always work for everyone.  I learned  chords, etc from friends, justinguitar.com, and from people on here.  In fact, I've learned more from NOT having a teacher and at my own pace than having one.  I've learned a lot of theory from people on here and through "google" searches.  So having an instructor may work for some and may not work with others.

Hopefully you'll find what you're looking for and will learn the way YOU want to learn.

Happy Playing!

"Rhythm drives the Rock-n-Roll train"

Gibson Les Paul/PRS Custom/Ovation Celebrity Koa
Line6 SpiderIII 75

Wibble try checking out your local colleges that do evening classes. Most places have a beginners guitar class. The great thing about these is you get tuition but also meet others who are struggling with chords etc. The regular weekly class helps give you something to practise for and knowing others are doing the same is a boost.

Teaching yourself is fine but to quote Jimi Hendrix it's a room full of mirrors. All you try are songs you think are worth doing. A tutor can surprise you and take you out of your comfort zone. Sometimes that's annoying but often they are trying to nudge you on techniques and bad habits you aren't even aware of.

'The sound of the city seems to disappear'

Thank you all, taken the advice on board and hiring a tutor who's registered with the institute of guitar tutors website. £20 for an hours lesson too which aint bad and in conversation he said the first lesson he just wants me to mess around so he can gauge what I do and don't know and then nudge me along from there to wipe out my bad habits and maybe broaden my horizons into some other genre's other than metal and rock - which is good. Can't wait!

I know some people who have been having lessons for years, but they only play what they're told to and don't really remember it that well until the music is put infront of them. And even then it takes them ages to change between chords. I am self taught and I've only been playing a couple of years but I find it really easy to swap between chords and remember chords and peices of music. I guess it depends on how good your memory is really xD

All I know is I feel better when I sing.
Burdens are lifted from me.
That's my voice rising.

I can't say it's working because it's too early, but I'm doing a combination.  I bought several books and instructional DVD's as well as using justinguitar.com, but I took my first lesson Tuesday and worked out a loose arrangement where I'd see the instructor as a floater when he gets cancellations and such.  I'd like to work the area I want to at the time and use the instructor to answer questions I couldn't figure out on my own.  If you find the magic technique of learning quick, let me know.

Unless you are a natural guitar player at some point you will need lessons.  Get the classes but don't be afraid to say I want to learn these techniques or these songs.

My ambition far exceeds my ability

Exactly my point, I've just found myself stuck in a rut at the moment with my playing whereby, I don't feel like I'm progressing with my knowledge or technique, I just feel i'm learning more and more songs. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, I would just like to learn a little more of the technique, theory etc behind my favourite music and also, I would like to be able to think outside the box a bit. I hear "oh well the solo on sweet child o mine is played in A minor pentatonic scale" etc etc (dunno if thats correct btw) and I think "Played with a who in the what??!!" What the hell is a Minor Pentatonic? Do you know what I mean? Hopefully this tutor will be good but I'll let you know.

Wibble - View the Music Theory section on the message board.  Jerome is a good starting point.  I've used this section a lot and from there, I went and researched some sites online and started figuring out scales, keys, etc on my own.

"Rhythm drives the Rock-n-Roll train"

Gibson Les Paul/PRS Custom/Ovation Celebrity Koa
Line6 SpiderIII 75

Scales are exactly the kind of thing tutors are good for Wibble. How my bass tutor and I laughed when I attempted 'Help Me Rhonda' using minor triads throughout...

Scales sound boring and music (particularly piano teachers) teachers often drill you through them without giving any idea of what they are there to do. In guitar scales are the key to soloing, harmonic fills and lead lines. That A minor pentatonic you mentioned is behind hundreds of rock solos and once you learn it you can shift it along the neck for any key. Learn the basic shape practise going up and down it, then get fast and turn up the gain. Suddenly you're soloing for real.

Of course it's easier to make up your own free-style solo. Getting the ear and picking apart how big rock hits go together is much harder (dorian... locrian... modes... fear..) but a good tutor will help you. Let them know the songs you have been attempting and what is blocking you and they may hand you a working version a few sessions later.

'The sound of the city seems to disappear'

Help,  is it acceptable  to play the electric guitar as  a acoustic (ryhtum) guistic .  The electric sounds a lot better than my acoustic electric.  help me please.

Well... i dont have a teacher but im pretty good anyway... hmm.. go inteo youtube.com and check some vid there
Im pretty shore there is some links you can take to...

/Slaya

Howdy Tophand75662,

I would guess that the answer is yes!  After all, it all comes down to what sounds best to you..... and you don't see too many acoustic rythm players in rock music.  There are a few, but something like a Les Paul makes a nice back axe, for the SG to lead to.

I play acoustic and electric and have both wired and ready to change off as the playlist requires.  But I personally like the acoustic/electric for most everything and use effects to get the sound that "fits".

Take Care;  Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

tophand75662 wrote:

.  The electric sounds a lot better than my acoustic electric.  help me please.

I hope this helps a little, I videotaped this early this mornning its just a few ideas for playing lead guitar, this has to do with playing less notes and getting more out of the song by sustaining notes for longer durations smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOgNk-Lv0Oc

"Growing old is not for sissies"

I was lucky and found a great guitar teacher, right from the start.  He teaches me everything from scales, theory, tab, strumming etc.  We started out learning songs based on my skill level.  Now I usually take in songs I want to learn and we sit and learn them together.  It's great.  He always has something new to show me or throw in, so I'm always challenged.  There's stuff he's taught me that I'd never have learned on my own.  And because of that I think I've progressed much faster and farther.  And I always want to impress him the next week so I practise, practise, practise.  Good luck!

That's All Non-Violence is
--- Organized Love---
        Joan Baez

You are exactly right. If we are interested in a particular thing then, we can do it by giving little bit of concentration . From electric guitar lessons, I have practiced many things with a little effort that made me success.

Thanks,
http://www.totallyguitars.com/

geoaguiar wrote:

Having formal instruction is worth the investment if you're serious about playing guitar

Agreed.

I've mostly taught myself everything I know on guitar and I hate my level of ability.
I wish that I would have taken lessons so that I can create music and express what I feel...instead of constantly playing other people's songs...badly.
Maybe I would understand more now instead of being depressed over my lack of understanding.

Dm

"Talent instantly recognizes genius,
but mediocrity knows nothing more than itself."

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

Wibble-

Try to see if you have a freind of a freind or somehing that knows how to play guitar and check them out. If they are up for teaching you some tips, go for it! I had a friend teach me some stuff on the guitar and took the rest in my hands. I'm doing ok but I think it's practice that makes anything worthwhile!

Good Luck! smile

~Ray

The question cannot be answered. The wisdom of the ages is: when
you are ready, the teacher will appear. How will you know? You will
know when you achieve the motivation to learn to play  the 12 major
scales in the first position; i.e., using fingers 1-4 on frets 1-4, and
to master the technique of sight reading basic melodies and
rhythms in all keys from the student book. Your goal is to learn all
the notes up to the 22nd fret. (The first 12 can be the hardest.)
At the same time, you will be picking up and adding chords along
the way, including the common barre chords, the major triads,
and their inversions.
Following this advice, you will select your teacher on the basis
of his or her willingness to guide you through this process, and
watch your progress. This is what is meant by the age old wisdom:
when you know what you want to learn, the teacher will appear.
I suggest saving time by learning the theory (chords, scales, and
rhythm) on piano. That teacher is almost impossible to find, but,
hark, the personal computer to the rescue. If I were to do it
over again, I would fully explore computerized teaching of theory.
After a couple of years, you will know all the scales and how to
sight read them. But that does not stop you from applying your
knowledge to the entire neck right away, so that if the challenge
was to play the pentatonic C starting from the 10th fret of the
D string or from the 14th fret of the A string, you are on it.
(You have been keeping  yourself  interested, breaking the
boredom of rote practice, by learning the neck in your spare
time. When the assignment was the A scale, you went ahead
and located the A notes wherever they appear on the neck,
because you are passionate about it.)
Saving money is important, but, more important is to not
waste money. One thing: make the notes with your finger
tips. The impression should go basically straight across
the end of the finger, near the tip. A teacher will make you
do this. Until that time, do not risk permanent injury
(bone spurs) by poor hand position. Also, the flat pick:
don't death grip it. Feel the pressure change on up and
down strokes, which you alternate, as a rule.
Sorry to sound pedantic. I'm not. But I have to write
this quickly and hope it helps. Only my opinions.

Learning guitar in a group setting can be less intimidating for the beginning musician. You not only get the benefit of having a teacher to help you along you can often judge your progress by where the other students are in the class.

****link edited****spam Russell Harding 3/11/09 11:58 pm cst.