Topic: Songs in Open E tuning?

Hey all.  I play just one song in Open E tuning (Black Crowes - She Talks to Angels) and was wondering if anyone knows another easy or intermediate song in Open E so at least could get more than one song out of the tuning.

Re: Songs in Open E tuning?

Damn Good Times: David Lee Roth

A musician is someone with too much time on their hands! Thank god I'm a musician!!!

Bob Dylan - Simple Twist of Fate (a slight variation on open E). For details see the book 'The Harp Styles of Bob Dylan'.

Glen Hansard - Say it to me now

check it out : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXRwplFTh_Y

Thanks guys.  I'm gonna need to wear a hole in me Takamine to play that last one right!

Is Glen just trying to be like Willy Nelson?

lol. It's possible that he's influenced by Willie, but I don't think Glen Hansard is "trying" to be like anyone. I actually find his music quite unique. In an interview, he mentioned that his Irish roots and Celtic music had a big influence on his own compositions. I think that hole in his Tak is just a result of his crazy strumming and not wanting to change because he likes the sound of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IObp9S6DAKo
Gove is an inspiring player.

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

zeppelins got one called 'in my time of dying'... i think its technically in D but the tabs are pretty easy and you can do it in E.

All You Need is Love smile

INFO:
I play Little Martha (Duane Allman/Dicky Betts on Acoustic/Dobro respectively) in E; it's one of the prettiest little songs ever written, and you can hear it on Eat A Peach. I learned it from an old Allman Brothers songbook I had back in the day. It may have been done originally in Open D (like open E, but all strings one step down so less tension on neck/strings/fingers). You can find tab on Chordie - haven't checked it for accuracy.

Bob Dylan recorded the entire Blood on the Tracks album in open E.

Joni Mitchell. She plays in 50 (!) different tunings, including Open E. Some dear person (God Bless him) posted a whole bunch of her tunings with the associated songs; you can get the posting at "Mitchell, Joni - Tunings" on this site. Bet you can find something you like.

ADVICE:
I encourage you to get a spare guitar and leave it tuned to Open E, and OUT of the case. If it's lying around (or in the stand), you'll be likely to pick it up every time you walk by and noodle around a bit. Before you know it, you'll have developed some tunes of your own! Probably will start as a few different riffs at first, that you'll string together late one night while normal people are asleep.

Right now, Musician's Friend has a Rogue acoustic for $79 and a Rogue acoustic/electric for $129; both are highly rated, and not just for something so cheap - they are apparently just plain decent, period. Put D'Addario EXP-26 strings on. These are, IMHO, the finest strings on the planet. Acoustic Phosphor Bronze, custom light - top 3 strings a little lighter for better bendability, with coating that makes them last 3-4 times longer, which I can vouch for - worth the few extra bucks. I just ordered a bunch of sets from the "Clearance" tab at Musician's Friend; they were $10/set.

And get a slide; I use thinwall Chrome or Stainless metal slides, although many fine people (including Duane and Bonnie) use glass. Don't wait on taking up slide...I wish I had done it years ago. Frustrating at first, but you know what happens when normal people are asleep...

Hope this helps!

Get your slide and let's get it on!

Hi Songsterman,

Welcome to Chordie, great first post! I'll have to agree with on the "Little Martha" tune being one of the most beautiful tunes ever created ( along with Jessica!!) and i did not know that Dylans " Blood On The Tracks" was all in open E( I'm gonna have to look into that one!haha).

Also, wondefrul advice regarding the spare guitar to leave in open E ( or any other for that matter) tuning. Evolved wood is a funny scientific element especially when tension reduction or expansion is involved. Look foward to hearing more from you.....

Peace and Guitars,
SouthPaw41L ( originally from The New River Valley, VA)

Give everything but up.

Great stuff Songsterman - I agree about Daddario strings - they feel and play wonderfully. I am rushing to tune my spare acoustic to  open D now (already had trouble with over tensioned strings in the past warping the soundboard!) and check out the songs you mentioned - good one!

I am playing all the right notes - but not necessarily in the right order! [Eric Morecombe]

sumelton1 wrote:

Great stuff Songsterman - I agree about Daddario strings - they feel and play wonderfully. I am rushing to tune my spare acoustic to  open D now (already had trouble with over tensioned strings in the past warping the soundboard!) and check out the songs you mentioned - good one!

If tension is an issue, this one should help:

Open C

CGCGCE

Tune B string up 1/2 step, E, A & D strings (6,5 & 4) get tuned down.

A note about open tunings: Raising and lowering strings repeatedly will cause rapid deterioration of tone. I recommend deciding on a tuning, getting your EXP-26's ready, tune up and leave it. I realize this is not always possible; that's one reason I have more guitars than an honest man can use roll

Get your slide and let's get it on!

Good advice Songsterman (and all).  I do leave one in the stand for same reasons stated.  It's hard on strings.  I did just try out DR coated 11's and they're a little cheaper than Elixers.

Many of The Stones' songs... "You Can't Always Get What You Want" tuned in open E and Capo on the 8th fret.

We Just Disagree by Dave Mason is absolutely beautiful in open E