Topic: ELIXIR STRINGS

On almost every site I saw, elixir "rules". They are maybe more expensive, but since I hate to change strings, and if I do, some strings I have to tune them clockwise and others, on the same guitar anti-clockwise.
- What is the real difference between NANO WEB and POLY WEB strings?
- I don' strum like Pete Townsend, so the gauge I prefer is 0.10, or 0.11, but talking about strings, what gauge is best sounding?
- Here in Belgium you pay almost 40$ for 1 package with 6 strings, on ebay, you pay the same price for 3 packages.

Except from elixir, which strings are really recommended, for my acoustic (Martins& Gibsons) and electric (PRS, Gibson), decent solid and nice sounding strings.
They contribute more than we think to the sound, and certain on acoustics. Which strings are considered as best buy.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

2 (edited by Oldnewbie 2008-02-23 16:21:41)

Re: ELIXIR STRINGS

I play the Polywebs. I have tried D'ardario (?sp?), and I recently tried a set of Martins, and don't feel like I get as full or rich of a sound. I'll be going back to the elixirs. I think they are worth it.

Don't know about the nanowebs, never tried them.

Oh - and they feel as good as they sound, which is nice.

Just play

I too have played the polywebs. Recently I ran out of them and put on some Martin Marquis light guage. In my opinion the Elixirs are much improved. They do seem to last a bit longer as well. I'm a big fan and think they're worth the extra (there are about twice the price here in the US) but in the big scheme of things not a big deal. I think they're 10-12 dollars vs. 6 or so for traditional strings. I miss them and will be buying a 1/2 pairs dozen soon to put on both my acoustics.

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

I just got elixir because my last set of D'Addarios got badly corroded. If you play regular then your playing will keep the strings rust free but since I'm playing more bass now I thought the anti-rust coating on the Elixirs was worth a try out. Didn't notice a huge world of tone change...

'The sound of the city seems to disappear'

I too, have recently gone back to the elixir strings.  My last set was a D'addario, and the tone went dull after a few plays.  Luckily, I still had a set left from my Ebay purchase last year.  And, wow!  That elixir sound was sure delightful to hear once again.  In my view, the sound and tone stay true longer than other strings.

Geoaguiar, and my other beloved chordians.
I never tried ELIXIR strings, everyone tells, in their comments that Elixir strings ARE the best strings, and in particular NANOWEB strings
About the price: a package of Elixir strings = 27€ = 41$ YES 41$!!!
On EBAY you pay 55$ for SIX packages of 6 acoustic strings (0.10....) extralight

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

I have been using Polywebs for years and prefer them over the nanowebs.I like them on my Yairi and takamine but i think they sound thin on my Martin.

Wayne

Later, Wayne P

gitaardocphil wrote:

I never tried ELIXIR strings, everyone tells, in their comments that Elixir strings ARE the best strings, and in particular NANOWEB strings
On EBAY you pay 55$ for SIX packages of 6 acoustic strings (0.10....) extralight

Try them I think you'll love them. I was sceptical at first. I'm not one to try the new and improved stuff just because. A good salesman told me to try them so I did and I'm glad.

Doc, another great thread

Elvis Costello

Too new at this whole guitar thing to properly appreciate.  But at the recommendation of the users on this site, I picked upa a set of Elixir extra light nano web (the polywebs were all sold out). 

They feel wonderful and my sore fingertips thank you.  I even installed them myself, which is another first.
P.J.

Acoustic: Yamaha F-310, Washburn WD-32SW

Wow...my first post on Chordie! I've been playing for years but I only recently found this site...IT'S AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyways, I've been playing with Elixers for years. They are the best...and most expensive. But you'll recoup the extra cost by not going through as many strings as they do last a lot longer. I prefer the polywebs as they last longer than the nanowebs and I've heard of and experienced breakage issues with the nanowebs (g strings seem to always break). Plus I think the polywebs sound better as well. However, the polywebs are slippery (which is kind of the point) which makes their playability a little more difficult. The nanowebs felt more like a "normal" guitar string. Give em a try...you'll probably like them.

"Do or do not, there is no try." Yoda

11 (edited by Tim0473 2008-03-06 16:44:08)

Doc

I've used Elixir's on my acoustics for a while now ... a friend of mine introduced me to them and I haven't gone back since ... I use the Poly's but decided to try the Bronze Nano's once and didn't like the sound on them at all ... the Poly's gave me a much brighter tone

Also, I pay around $15 a pack for my strings ... I gather they're more due to your location?

Electric:  Gibson Les Paul Studio, Schecter Omen 6, PRS SE Custom
Acoustic:  Fender Talman, Yamaha
Amp:  Fender Super Champ XD/Line6 Spider III 75

I concur.  I too have been singing the praises of elixir strings, people wonder if I own stock in the company.  I bought a guild accoustic a few years ago, and it came with elixir strings (the shop puts them on all their guitars because they help them sell).  I loved the guitar, but when I changed I put on di adario phosphorus bronze.  The sound, and playability of the guitar was noticeably diminished.  I was dissappointed.  If it had the di adarios on it when I played it in the shop, I wouldn't have bought it.

For what it's worth, I love the way they sound, but I hate the way they feel.  I've only played the poly's, and I thought they felt slick--I couldn't wait to get them off.  I've been playing DR's for about a year now and really like them--not as full sounding as the elixir's, but close with the same even tone.  They don't last as long, I'm sure, but I've never had any corosion issues with them.  And I tend to get pretty aggressive with my strumming & I haven't broken one yet (I'm sure the .58 pick helps with that).

14 (edited by zenbutcher 2008-06-06 16:11:55)

What about that ad that I keep seeing in guitar mag's showing the elixer's up close after a few plays.  It shows that coating a flaky and falling off of the strings?

I have played Dean Martin Blue Steel for about 17 years and love them.  LOL, I actually used to boil them before putting them on my electric because I read that it made them play better, stay in tune while bending, etc..

edit:  i think that should be dean markley blue steel

I have found the exact opposite I have had to replace a brand new set of Elixir with D'Addario PB and immediately noticed that the tone was very much brighter and they have lasted months without much noticeable change of tone or signs of wear. In my opinion the elixir maybe last longer but don't sound anywhere near as good and bright, just my opinion.

gitaardocphil wrote:

Here in Ireland, 21EUR, about 26USD at today's rate. 3 times the price of normal strings, I hope they are 3 times as good!

I have elixir strings on my acoustic now they do sound good but for playing ease and sound I like the Martin silk n steel they dont last as long as elixir and I am only using these strings because they were out of the silk n steel but there not to bad smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

flester wrote:
gitaardocphil wrote:

Here in Ireland, 21EUR, about 26USD at today's rate. 3 times the price of normal strings, I hope they are 3 times as good!

Try 'em Doc. I've never used the polys only the nano's. I have heard the polys are slippery. IMHO worth the extra money.

Elvis Costello

Well today I had a set of the Elixir polyweb strings put on my acoustic, while I'm not much of a judge of strings yet, they sound pretty wirey, {if thats a word} but then I was use to the sound of the D'addario, so I'll keep playing them and see if I start to like them better, guess I was just use to a certain sound, maybe they will grow on me.

Cam

Keep a fire burning in your eyes
Pay attention to the open sky
You never know what will be coming down

Cameron that "wirey" sound yu get is the sound of new strings, all new strings will sound wirey. I think you get a clearer tone from the wirey sound and elexir strings keep that sound longer than other strings. If you dont like the new sound of string the nthese Elexir strings are not for you.

ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

Thanks Upyerkilt,

I'll keep playing them for now, you just kinda get use to a certain sound, or timbre and then something else sounds odd, but I'll give them a fair chance, as I said I'm not the best judge so I rely on people like you and others and trust your better judgement, even though I know I should always listen for what sound I like in the long run. I've tried the Martin's the D'addario and now the Elixer's, maybe next I'll try the silk and steel I think Russell mentioned, sooner or later, I'll find my sound.

Cam

Keep a fire burning in your eyes
Pay attention to the open sky
You never know what will be coming down

I know what you mean about getting used to a sound.
I never changed any of my strings before because I got used to the sound, as they gradually got duller in sound I never noticed as it happens slowly. It wasnt until a few friends told me after changing strings that the guitar sounded better, after a few years and a few other guitarists giving me advice I started to heed. And now I am loving the sound of new strings even though I thought, like you , the wirey sound was awful.

But each to their own and all that, whatever you like is right for you.

I will be tring other strings also just to hear the difference in sounds and price etc to relate price with sound. This will take a long time so no post on my findings for a while.

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

I've tried the Elixer Polys and  really like the smoothness and even sound they produce. Another great string is the titanium slinky coated acoustic by Ernie Ball. They are just as good if not better for a few dollars less than the Elixers.

My Advice: In a nutshell, try D'addario EXP instead. Available in Phosphor (!) Bronze, and 80/20 Bronze (also Mandolin and Bass strings).

My Experience: The coating makes a BIG difference, and coated strings DO last me much longer than non-coated (easily 3 times longer; I play a lot). I suppose because the finger-sleaze doesn't clog up the windings causing uneven decay after the string is attacked. I've never tried boiling my strings to clean them up, but some of the old-timers (older than me!) swear by this practice.

I have tried the Elixir, both Nano and Polyweb, and experienced the dreaded shredded coating scenario previously mentioned. I have NEVER had this problem with the D'Addario EXP coated strings. Perhaps because D'Addario coats the wrap wire BEFORE winding it around the core...maybe Elixir doesn't do that, so bending the string snaps the coating after awhile.

My Opinion: D'Addario Acoustic Phosphor Bronze Guitar Strings are the finest strings available on the planet at any price. And now, they're COATED!!!

Over the last 35 years or so, I've tried countless types of strings, looking for "that sound" (this is, admittedly, a subjective quality), preferably at an affordable price. I've tried $3.00 Darco strings, ridiculously expensive Gold-plated strings, and everything in between, including Dr. Thomastik. Some years back, a bluegrass player I admired suggested I give the D'Addario a try (he used the 80/20 Bronze), and I was really impressed. Then they released the Phosphor Bronze, and I was ASTOUNDED at how good they sounded to my ears (warmer than the 80/20), and by how long they lasted (we're talking uncoated here - it was years ago). At one point, I had month old D'Addarios on a plywood Yamaha, and that guitar sounded better than my friend's Guild with 3 day old Martin Marquis strings. I wish I could recommend Martin strings, but they're just not as good as their guitars.

Anyway, when I saw that D'Addario had made a coated string, I was pretty excited, but wondered if they would shred like the Elixirs had, and more importantly, if the beautiful tone I had fallen in love with would be compromised. I am happy to report that the tone is REALLY still all there, and as I mentioned, no shredded coating to report.

I'm currently running the EXP-26's (gauges: 11-15-22-32-42-52) on my Martins, and the EXP-17's (gauges: 13-17-26-35-45-56) on my Resonators. Slightly heavier for the Resonators, as more slide tone is derived that way, and custom light on the Martins (top 3 strings a little lighter than their normal Light Gauge set), to improve bendability (is that even a word?). I order mine from Musician's Friend; currently $12/set. They also have the J-16 Light Gauge for $6.00/set, or $50/10 sets, which is a fabulous price, and even uncoated, the D'Addario Phosphor Bronze last a long, long time.

Anyway, that my 2 cents worth, and yes, I accept PayPal. wink

Get your slide and let's get it on!

I have to agree with Songsterman. I met with and talked to some D'Addario reps at the Guitar Show and ended up stocking up on strings. I have the EXP on two acoustic guitars and three mandolins...   The Reps can't openly say it...but D'Addario makes many of the "house brand" strings for some of the companies like Martin...

Middleaged Redneck sorta guy who refuses to grow up...passion for music, especially Southern Rock but like bout everything cept Gangsta/Hip Hop. Collect guitars, mandolins, and love to ride Harleys.