Topic: THREE CHEERS FOR...........

Fellow Chordians,

I just wanted to post a thread for those whove done an accomplishment of note and have no-one to hear a positive response from, for something that deserves it - big or small.

Everyone wants to hear a "WELL DONE!" or "CLASS WORK!" or "COOL AS MUSTARD!"

Mine was today shooting clout.

I'd had lots to do with horses and had to start that late for people riding and combining feeds (can't be fed too soon before riding). The time I would've gone shooting (in bright sunshine) was taken up preparing feeds then dishing out. So when I'd finished and was heading back to get bow and arrows a low cloud was blowing in from the English Channel restricting range of view; about 18:20 hrs GMT, clarity 40 - 80 metres and worsening.

I got to the clout field and set one up (a roving clout so I didn't know the range) and prepared my Longbow and arrows. I shot four ends (each end 14 arrows) so I pulled over my tonne and was getting the larger proportion within scoring distance of the clout some very close, even a few reds here and there, but the last end I heard a sound that wasn't like an arrow hitting earth.

When I went to collect the arrows there was one slap bang in the head of the clout (Gold) and at least 3 in the ground beside (Reds). When I paced it back, I'd been shooting at 120 metres!!!

British Longbow/Warbow Clout Shooting - nothing like it, easy to do bad!!!

<-----<< On an even field, only talent prevails! >>----->
   Gans Gwarak da yn dorn yu lel, gwyr lowen an golon!
        >>-----> [color=#FF0000]Rudhes[/color] hag [color=yellow]Owres[/color], Kajima <-----<<

Re: THREE CHEERS FOR...........

Way to go!!!!!

Three Cheers Kajima !!

Kajimas a mighty good fellow, .......

I wish I had a clue what a clout or four ends or a tonne was, but I'm sure it was fantastic so I say congratulations to ya!

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Cheers guys,

A clout is a small little critter...... Any target than a arrow drops down onto is a clout, a flag, a hoop, an actual boss at a very shallow angle. Today it was a standard (small) bale of straw.

Each end (in this context) refers to each quiverful of arrows (14 at the moment) a tonne is where metric and imperial (2000lbs/1000Kg) almost coincide.

Thanks again!

>>-----> [color=#FF0000]Rudhes[/color] hag [color=yellow]Owres[/color], Kajima <-----<<

120 Meters is a Loooonnnngg way for an arrow..... at least in this patch of woods!  Used to hunt regularly in me younger days and thought 60 to 80 was a long shot with a bow.  But then in the forests you cannot see game at much farther than that, and 150 yard rifle shot through brush can be questionable.  Rough country tracking can be so much like WORK!

Fine Bowmanship nonetheless!  And tell me what kind of "scope" mount do you use on a long bow?

Take Care;
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Thanks Doug,

No scope, no stabilisers, no aids, nothing. Traditional "Bare Bow" Longbow shooting.

A stick and a piece of string. Big strong stick, big strong string.......SYLVESTE!

It's llegal to hunt with a bow in this country. Many people would see the carrow (roe deer) we get on this land and regret that, but I'd regret not seeing the carrow. 60 - 80 metres is good going if you can shoot confidently with a bow at that range!!!

This is doubly impressive for me. One of those there long bows is nearly bigger than me. It'd take two of me just to load an arrow. God help those foolish enough to trespass on your land, KajiMa.

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

Way to go KajiMa !!  Coming from a family of archers, I'm well aware of the discipline you've achieved. I thought I had a good release, your's must be as smooth as silk. 120 meters, WOW!!!      Just curious, what is the diameter of a red and a gold?

Ron

Thanks Alvee33 and aabb.

A FITA 60cm target (as you know) is 12cm accroos the gold and 18cm across the red. A clout is usually a stick or flag in the ground with a long chord that can twirl around the stick with different diametre distances marked along it's length. The Gold measure would be 12" with a further 12" (24" from stick) for Red. So a gold would be 24" or 2 feet acrosswith the red 4ft across. The two feet is representative of the area yer average middle ages man would occupy, but different organisations have different rules and measures . This discipline of archery being the forerunner of artillery shooting - dropping the arrows onto the target from a distance. The words "Artillery" and "Archery" are corruptions of Arc Tirer - the French for Shoot a bow and FITA Federation Internationale de Tir a l'Arc, the international governing body, is French where we came in.

Hit it again today! Twicw!!

Well here in the States the bow used in hunting is usually a compound with 120-150 pound draw weight. We fix sights to the bow and with practice and a measured range you can reach out there with some reasonable accuracy.  But like I said, we hate following blood trails, so the sport is in the stalking and getting as close as possible to a wary game for a sure and quick dispatch.

Crossbows are legal most places during rifle hunting season, and having shot one of those a time or two.... very impressive for "really old technology", I understand that the longbow was the only bow (other than the crossbow) that could pierce a Knight's breastplate.  Truely a giant leap forward in the history of warfare!

Nice to hear that the art is not being lost....

Take Care;
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

hey whats up

Kajima, that's very impressive.

I used to practice Kyudo (japanese style archery). Archery is definitely a demanding activity in terms of focus and discipline.

It's interesting to see how Chordians often practice another activity besides music that require a lot of the same qualities (patience, discipline, logic, creativity,... ). I've seen a lot of posts in the Chat Corner where people talk about fishing, cycling, gardening, art, and many other hobbies that aren't so easily approached by everyone...