Re: So who inspired you to play?

Grant Geissman from Chuck Mangione's 'Feels so Good' album.  That was my first failed attempt.

Recently, Keith Urban.  Uses so little of his talent on songs that make radio but I saw him on some sort of documentary thingy and he's actually pretty good.

lynxpilot wrote:

Grant Geissman from Chuck Mangione's 'Feels so Good' album.  That was my first failed attempt.

Recently, Keith Urban.  Uses so little of his talent on songs that make radio but I saw him on some sort of documentary thingy and he's actually pretty good.

grant geissman, good reference, sick guitar solo on that song, so much better than the typical "smooth" jazz or other fusion stuff, of course not including the mahavishnu stuff, that stuff's great too

Wow!  That Chuck Mangione quintet with Grant Geissman was awesome.  It was Charles "Meat Man" Meeks from that quintet who inspired me to play electric bass.  Just flat out seriously good "in the box" bass playing.  Solid, moving, and low.  Good stuff.  Bellavia is still one of my favorite songs to play. 

As far as guitar, it was Bo Crowder who inspired me.  None of y'all are likely to have heard of Bo, considering that he's not a professional musician.  He's a friend, a fisherman, and a talented guitar player.  He demonstrates his talent with humility and kindness at back porches and campfires, singing and playing with friends.  Anyone and everyone, no matter how skilled or talented (or not) is welcome to join him.  It's all for fun, and the more the merrier.  I like his attitude.   When I grow up (musically speaking), I'd be a happy man if I could be like Bo. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Clapton for sure, Chet Atkins, The Great BB King, Montoya, but the clincher was Carlos Santana in concert.... the man is not much of a vocalist but "sings" with his strings.  His ability to find the sounds to express himself effortlessly all over the fretboard is something I will aspire to and never attain.

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

I just thought of a second reason.  I was in the US Navy on exchange to the Royal Navy for a 3-year stint and, among other events, I noticed that everybody had a "thing" they could do.  It could be simple, useless something or really viable talents, but at least something.  Being talent-proof myself, at social functions I found I had little to offer other than my good company (har har).  We had pulled into Gibraltar for about a week's visit and, to my surprise, somehow we ended up in a bar.  There was a guy and a gal that had a bass, acoustic guitar, keyboard, and a couple other hoo-yahs to do a 2-person gig so the bar could have live music.  They went on break after a set and one of my friends asked if he could use the acoustic and mic and do his little song.  They let him and he proceeded to do "Stairway to Heaven" (the long version) flawlessly with nothing but a voice and an acoustic guitar.  It was impressive.  There's been many a camping trip or whatever where I would have liked to pull out a guitar and let everybody join in for a song, but lacked the experience or talent.  My goal now is to be able to get through a select few songs flawlessly, at the right moment, and prove to myself that either I don't have talent but I do have the will to practice enough and fake it, or I actually have the talent and skill to make music that somebody might actually want to hear.  So, long story short, his name is Dan.  Forgot his last name.  He's not famous.  Just another swabbie like me.

hi maybe u can help i wanted to learn the guitar before i was 40 and got one for my 39th birthday m8. in may 08 have had about 3 lessons and can ply certain songs like hotel calafornia.

But my m8 has an electric guitar and its out of tune what is the settings for Hz ive a korg CA-30 tuner which rates from 410-480hz.  He cant play either but i want to try it weve all the gear but no idea im afraid and would like to lear.

thanks vmuch if u reply.

I understand if not as am a total beginner and have nothing to offer this website at the moment.

Rob

Roddersathome -

If I can wade through the text message pigeon English correctly, I think you were asking for the "correct" setting for an electronic tuner.  The answer to that is 440 Hz.  Sorry if I didn't understand your question properly. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Stevie Ray Vaughn!!! wink

My older brother taght me a few basic chords and was "HOOKED". 

Some of my influences are wide and varied like Hank Williams SR, The Beatles, Jimmy Page, Eddie VH, David Gilmore, Fernando Sor and just about all the 80's shredders.  I have a lot of appreciation for Andy Mckee (my look alike) who is a MASTER at his playing style. 

Steve

Yeah hearing Nirvana is what got me wanting to play.
Probably just the way Kurt played, the rawness of it. It was so real.
I wanted to play guitar so bad but I kept it a secret. lol.
Then I just found a guitar in my Dad's garage and the first thing I taught myself was the intro to Come as You Are.
Almost a year later and I'm still learning Nirvana. Aneurysm is the latest.

"Policeman shouts but I don't see him/ They're one thing I don't believe in"
-Tomorrow, 'My White Bicycle'

86 (edited by selso 2009-07-17 14:22:51)

Syd1994 wrote:

Yeah hearing Nirvana is what got me wanting to play.
Probably just the way Kurt played, the rawness of it. It was so real.
I wanted to play guitar so bad but I kept it a secret. lol.
Then I just found a guitar in my Dad's garage and the first thing I taught myself was the intro to Come as You Are.
Almost a year later and I'm still learning Nirvana. Aneurysm is the latest.

Ive said before, their the sole reason I picked up a guitar. Kurt never wrote a bad song as far as I'm concerned. Dave Grohl is one of the best drummers out there. I wish he would have stuck to drums. Your story of how you started playing sounds alot like mine.
I found an old guitar in the rafters of our garage and saved my lunch money for weeks to buy a set of strings. Begged my mom to take me to the "hippie" store to buy them. and it was on from there.

Everything is bad including me
But being bad is good policy
Reverend Horton Heat

I guess i was influenced by two of my uncles. I rememder as a kid watching them play and thinking i wanted to do that because it looked so fun. I also just love the sounds a guitar produces no matter what playing style. In addition to that i've always thought that the guitar is a piece of art that should be played with.

Chet Atkins got to me and I am older than dirt.

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

Chet Atkins was one of best guitar players that ever lived.  Whenever he played, EVERYBODY listened.  We lost a great ledgend when he passed away.

Steve

A classical Guitar player in my area called Edgar Cruz look him up on youtube he is AMAZING!!!!!!!

Two great influences on me were Bob Dylan and Donovan back when I was  a teenager in the 60's.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

For me, the first people to inspire me to play were my grandfather and older cousins. After that, a friend of mine showed me a few Led Zeppelin songs, and I just wanted to copy everything that Jimmy Page did. smile

The Killers smile

Shawn Colvin and Sheryl Crowe inspired me. I still blame Sheryl Crowe for my 12 string.

Jimmy Page, hands down, he's the man.  I would watch him on stage, and you could tell he was in another zone, and that zone was where I always wanted to get to.  And playing the guitar gets you there.

mine was Rory Gallagher.

believe it or not....freddy and the dreamers....who wears short shorts, that's the song title!

phill

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Hendrix really  but  probably Hank  Marvin  and  Bert  Weedon   had  some  early  input .

my cousin Paul.He died in a car accident a long time ago.I decided I always wanted to play guitar before my time was up.He played.There was no bond or friendship between us,just cousins.That`s it

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

Joe satch definitly, stevie ray, mark nofler, (how DO! you spell that name) stevie via and many others.. recently i have been inspired by Micheal Angelo Batio, does any one know him?