Topic: local bands ????

There are lots of us looking for others to play with.

Could the ones who have friend let the rest of us know the best way to find other guitar players ?

TonyBlue

man is the dream of the doliphin

Re: local bands ????

Hey Tony,

A good way to find other musicians is through your local Craigslist. Try going to www.craigslist.com and looking in the "musicians" section for your city.

Good luck.

thanks I will try it out
TonyBlue

to try to keep this alive here is what I what done so far.

put up flyers in ten local shops
asked on 2 guitar sites
put a add in the local paper.

so far I havent had one reply

In U.S. here and it is difficult to find others.   Usually it is because once they find someone they pretty much become exclusive. Or it is because I'm not that good yet.  lol

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qI7y9ivs5Y[/url]  lol
[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEyW2SEHfzM[/url]
[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0WeJjPLqyQ[/url]
[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkcYALHslEY[/url]

Well, at least in my small town there are a number of pubs and coffee houses that have jam and "open mic" nights.  Usually if you participate you will find/meet someone who shares your taste in music and you stand a pretty good chance of getting together in another venue for sharing music.  This is a college town and there are a lot of folks in and out who are looking for friends so it is not too difficult to meet people.  An open bench on a sunny day near campus and voila jam session!

Good luck.... they're out there!

Take Care;
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Thank you both.  I have been thinking about just playing alone in the park to see if I can provoke a reaction, and even starting busking, but the wife dont like it as she thinks I am just begging in the streets.
I also will go to a few "open Mic" nights to see what is going on
Cheers TonyBlue

tony eaves wrote:

There are lots of us looking for others to play with.

Could the ones who have friend let the rest of us know the best way to find other guitar players ?

TonyBlue

Well this website is a great way to interact will other players the website is http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/
go and check it out

Hope this helps smile

FENDER-GOOD BRAND,AND NICE GUITARS
   IBANEZ-EHH WELL THERE PRETTY GOOD
    well yeah guitars guitars guitars
     !NEVER PUT OF TOMORROW WHAT YOU CAN AVOID ALL TOGETHER!

Hi Tony,

just to add my experiences.

I moved to Hastings 2 years ago, met great singer/Blues Harmonica player, practices were great, gigs were rubbish. Discovered he had an addiction (to everything) and was turning up stoned or drunk. The pressure of the gigs was making him worse so got out and  dumped the whole thing.

I set up a session every other Sunday at a local Cafe/Veg Rest/Bar for people writing and playing their own music (08.30pm to 10.00pm) then we sit around and jam 10.00pm till late (sometimes very late).

its quite hard work to arrange (have to put a lot of work in to keep it publicised) and keep going without being too heavy handed (bit like hearding cats with musicians) but it does give me the opportunity to hear people I might want to work with (and visa versa).

Might be worth a try for you especially if there is more than one of you to organise it.

PS I was at Colwyn Bay Radio Officers Training College in the late 70s and the Royal was our local !

Best of luck

Busking!

Begging in the streets?

There isn't a smiley on the site that conveys how this makes me feel.

I started out busking and was lucky if I made my bus fare home and that was only £1.80 in 1986ish.

So I started learning how to busk. The right sort of songs - that I learned; the right position AND appearance that goes towards "your pitch" that I worked on to improve it; how your appearance/set-up contributes to communicating in another voice to the public whilst you are singing.

Making anything like money that makes it worthwhile takes time and effort above and beyond being able to sing and play well. You can't hold out your hand and beg while you are playing the riff and singing the song.

NO ONE IS COERCED INTO GIVING YOU MONEY!

NO ONE FEELS THREATENED WALKING PAST SOMEONE WHO PUTS THEIR HEART AND SOUL INTO PLAYING A HAPPY SONG!!

BUSKING (making money at it) IS AN ART FORM IN ITSELF!!!!

YOU ARE DOING EXACTLY THE SAME WORK AS A PAYED GIG (USUALLY HARDER AND LONGER, THO')!!!!!

EVERY TIME I WENT BUSKING RIGHT UP UNTIL THE LAST TIME IN 1993 THERE WAS FEAR TO OVERCOME FAR, FAR WORSE THAN ANY GIG I'VE EVER DONE WHICH ENDS ONLY AFTER YOU'VE ACCEPTED "I'M ABOUT TO START PLAYING ON THE STREET IN FRONT OF LOTS OF STRANGERS WHO HAVEN'T COME HERE TO HEAR ME!" AND STARTED PLAYING YOUR FIRST SONG!!!!!!!!!!

I hope you show this to your good lady Tony and she may be interested to know that up until I stopped, throughout the late 80s 'til '93, I was earning £15 - £85 per hour and I never coerced anyone, made them feel threatened or even asked them to give me any money!

I never give money to beggars.

If your a good busker and I've got two quid in my pocket I'll give one to you - unless it's my bus fare home!

Busking! Begging? BALONEY!

<-----<< On an even field, only talent prevails! >>----->
   Gans Gwarak da yn dorn yu lel, gwyr lowen an golon!
        >>-----> [color=#FF0000]Rudhes[/color] hag [color=yellow]Owres[/color], Kajima <-----<<

I have shown it to "my good lady", she feel that everyone can have an opinion, thats yours, and she has hers.
We live in north wales, and we do have our share of down and outs, who try to play penny whisles and broken guitars along with the normal beggers asking for money in the streets.  I think that as we are a holiday resort a lot of people on the dole prefer to live here than in Liverpool or Manchester.
So I must agree with her, and I would not feel safe playing on the streets alone.  Up to last Sat I did play on the streets with a group called Ghostbuskers, it was organised by the recording studio I use, I will not play with them again due to the lack of effort put in by the other members.
This is just to show you that I have not dismissed your input out of hand, in fact I really apprieciate any input, so thank you
tonyblue

Respect to you and your lady, Tony!

I should have added that by "Busker" I mean someone who is between competent at playing and a skilled street performer and NOT a beggar with an instrument!

Now, a beggar who picks up an instrument and learns how to play it properly - that's a different matter!

>>-----> [color=#FF0000]Rudhes[/color] hag [color=yellow]Owres[/color], Kajima <-----<<

Respect back to you KajiMa.

I would consider palying away from where I live, ie Liverpool or Manchester, and I will look into if I need a licence or provide a sample of my music.

I also would like to thank you for all the help you have offered me on the other posts I have put on here.

Regards TonyBlue

i've been looking for people to play with for AGES. see my post "please read this" and leave me a message!

"In a mad world it is the mad who are sane" Craig Nicholls

No worries, Tony! cool

That's what most of us here for and it's very rewarding to know we've been some use. smile

Me too! If I was to go busking again, I would travel to where no-one knows me although I was, for a time, the resident busker (singular) in a town of 70,000 which was a resort by the sea! If I was to go busking again I would find a musician built like the guitarist from the Downchild Blues Band (see Badeye's post in Bands and Artists) to come with me!!! big_smile

Hi Craig,
I can not see where you live, I live in North Wales, and if I can get to you I will, now going to your post to leave a message

am down in Uganda and bands here are extremely difficult to find. what makes matters worse is the fact that the style of music changes quite often, well one just has to know alot of music genres to fit properly in a band.