Topic: My One Secret To Better Guitar Playing Is........

Everyone knows that practice is the only surefire way to improving as a player.

Are there any simple, silly, clever or downright obvious things that no-one else thought of that have helped your progress?

Mine:

There are two types of song I learn - those I just wanna play and those that have new chords or techniques in them (new to me that is!)

It's these songs that stretch me as a player and make each further step that bit easier. I also try to write songs incorporating these new chords!

What's your secret tip or trick?

<-----<< On an even field, only talent prevails! >>----->
   Gans Gwarak da yn dorn yu lel, gwyr lowen an golon!
        >>-----> [color=#FF0000]Rudhes[/color] hag [color=yellow]Owres[/color], Kajima <-----<<

Re: My One Secret To Better Guitar Playing Is........

Not really a secret trick or tip but the main thing that helps me progress is passion. I never have to make myself pick up the guitar and practice. I do it because I love it and I do it A LOT. Since I've started playing it's been my life! Really! The song's I'm working on are recorded to a cd and I listen to them over and over everyday at work going through the progressions in my head. When I sit at a desk, hold a tool, or whatever I'm doing... I'm holding it with my index and barre finger flexing it to build up stregnth. You can work practice into so many everyday activities if you try. Muscle memory is important in progressing but there is more to it than just practicing on the guitar. Keep it on the brain throughout the day so that when you finally get your hands on the guitar you don't have to think about what your supposed to do or play next. It's amazing what the mind can accomplish without even touching the guit!! .-Pix

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

One thing I do is to dedicate one part of my practice to improv. 

Instead of just strumming one same song until I get it I take a little time to NOT follow a tab or music pattern and make it up.  I'll either run the pick back & forth over a two or three note pattern or pick three chords from the same key and just arrange them or the rhythm or arpeggio's in a way that might be a part of a song.

4 (edited by Russell_Harding 2009-08-16 16:24:26)

I dont know if I have any secrets I dont listen to radio just strum and see what comes out but I enjoy watching other musicians and listening to original songs its hard to write a post on Chordie especially the last week or so there a gorgeous blond with low cleavage asking me to start my journey on the right of the screen lol

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Hey Russ, I totally agree..I wondered if anybody else was having these hallucinations
Too cool for school...Im hot for teacher

I thought ; If I had one idea,
and took it from beginning to end.
I would try another.

Just as others have already metioned i too practice " new chords" and stretch my fretting fingers. One other thing i do which may be normal for alot of people is that i practice playing in different keys other than what i usually sing in then i capo it so it will match my voice.

Seems I practice a lot of scales, but I can see an improvemant in my playing. I jam once a month with a good friend and that helps a lot. When I first joined Chordie everyone said practice is key, and that is the truth, hey this guitar helped me quit smoking tobacco.great way to keep the fingers moving, tip for me - practice.

Badeye   cool

one caper after another

My tip is........play to an audience. For me no matter how I practice it never sounds the same as when you play to an audience. Once I think something is good (ish), i try playing it to an audience, if they like it I try a harder audience. To avoid having them running out screaming i mix the more eclectic stuff with easy stuff i know they will like. For a real test, try playing music a particular audience might not necessarily like ie folk to a jazz audience, blues to to a rock audience.

The biggest thing for me is keeping it fun and enjoyable. I go through slumps like everyone and seems everytime I come out of it some way or another.

Awhile back I was in a real slump and felt everything I did sounded like crap. I had just posted a vid on youtube and got a comment on chordie and youtube from Upyerkilt he is a confirmed  hard a$$, but he gave me the nicest compliment I've had in my years of playin and it got me going again. I hope I am not damaging his reputation.

Later, Wayne P

The best thing thats help me ,,,beside Chordie is being able to leave my guitars out where I can get too them at anytime,,,,I know that maybe hard to do if you have small kids around,,,but my kids are all grown...LOL

don't smoke weed with Willie

Playing with other people, and lots of 'em. Some players will be better than you, you'll be better than others, but we all can learn a thing or two from another person and their perspective on the guitar. ( for the most part)

Another thing I like to do is take my guitar to a desolate, remote, out of the way location and share some music and scenery with nature. It's amazing how inspirational the great outdoors can be.

And finally, I like to ly on the floor( pillows aplently)  in total darkness
and play something totally new and completely made up, or whatever pops into my mind and makes its way to my fingers . My wife has awoke me numerous times with my guitar either on my chest or on the floor beside me. I wouldn't recommend using your #1 guitar for this practice!.....

Give everything but up.

My secret To Better Guitar Playing Is........
Over the last few years I have to to say has been the computer and internet. Principally Chordie of course watching vids of all sorts on Utube etc and discovering a world of brilliant guitar players unknown to me making me want to stretch myself and learn more challenging guitar songs. Also inspiring me to look at my songwriting again and bringing more depth to my musical ideas.
I play everyday and just love it.. I guess thats the real key to improving.....
ark

Russell_Harding wrote:

I dont know if I have any secrets I dont listen to radio just strum and see what comes out but I enjoy watching other musicians and listening to original songs its hard to write a post on Chordie especially the last week or so there a gorgeous blond with low cleavage asking me to start my journey on the right of the screen lol

Russ
Evony Ad. has a lot to answer for..:)
http://www.chordie.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=12000

Play with others.  Learn from them what you want to know and teach them what they want to know from you. 

There's an old saying.  I don't know where it comes from, but I think it's truthful.  "Teach what you most need to learn." 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Chordie  big_smile:

If it wasn't for this forum and all the good people and good advice here I would have dropped the guitar long ago.

Thanks All

Kap54

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

Ha Kenny soaz!

You found the flaw! My first post should've read "practice AND Chordie!"

So glad you've stuck around and stuck with the guitar!

Splann Da! cool

<-----<< On an even field, only talent prevails! >>----->
   Gans Gwarak da yn dorn yu lel, gwyr lowen an golon!
        >>-----> [color=#FF0000]Rudhes[/color] hag [color=yellow]Owres[/color], Kajima <-----<<

Elvis Costello recently talked about a song in which he mentions his concrete fingers. You know how they set like concrete when you're trying out a new chord, or a new song.

I like to value the times when I get those concrete fingers, cause it means there is more to learn, and I love the buzz when you can play it with ease.

Also what Duxrus said about having the guitar at hand - so when you're dressed up to go out and herself says she'll just be five minutes ( and you know you have half an hour ) - you just reach out. She's started calling it the wooden woman !!!

"Don't play what's there, play what's not there." Miles Davis

MY LORD INDEED lol

arkady wrote:

My secret To Better Guitar Playing Is........
Over the last few years I have to to say has been the computer and internet. Principally Chordie of course watching vids of all sorts on Utube etc and discovering a world of brilliant guitar players unknown to me making me want to stretch myself and learn more challenging guitar songs. Also inspiring me to look at my songwriting again and bringing more depth to my musical ideas.
I play everyday and just love it.. I guess thats the real key to improving.....
ark

Russell_Harding wrote:

Russ
Evony Ad. has a lot to answer for..:)
http://www.chordie.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=12000

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Zurf wrote:

Play with others.  Learn from them what you want to know and teach them what they want to know from you. 

There's an old saying.  I don't know where it comes from, but I think it's truthful.  "Teach what you most need to learn." 

- Zurf

Brilliant.......

Give everything but up.

StranSongs wrote:

... when you're dressed up to go out and herself says she'll just be five minutes ( and you know you have half an hour )...!!!

YES! thats when I do most of my playing.

I'd agree with all the above especially leaving the guitar out where you can just pick it up, play a few riffs and put it down.  I don't set aside any practice time, I just go when I feel like.. which is most of the time.  Even if the kids are watching TV, I'll pick it up and gently strum using just my thumb for hours!

One of the first posts mentioned passion and I think thats the thing you need.  Without a real passion you wont get through those early dark days of bleeding fingers and dodgy strumming.

Epiphone EJ200  -  Epiphone SG400  -  Fender Strat Blacktop.
Blackstar HT 40 Club  -  Vox VT30 - Behringer ACX ultracoustic 1000

crevs.1972 wrote:

I'd agree with all the above especially leaving the guitar out where you can just pick it up, play a few riffs and put it down.  I don't set aside any practice time, I just go when I feel like.. which is most of the time.  Even if the kids are watching TV, I'll pick it up and gently strum using just my thumb for hours!

One of the first posts mentioned passion and I think thats the thing you need.  Without a real passion you wont get through those early dark days of bleeding fingers and dodgy strumming.

My fingers aren't bleeding anymore but my strumming is still dodgy.

Later, Wayne P

I'm with SouthPaw and Zurf.

The one thing that has consistently taken my playing to another level was playing with other musicians. When I started, I thought was making pretty good progress  but I was always playing by myself. After a while, I felt like I was stuck in a box with my playing. Then I decided to search music forums for people looking for others to play with. I met a couple of cool people who I began to jam with regularly, and every session with them was an eye-opener. We also met a whole bunch of musicians in the parks where we would meet to jam or at jam/open mic nights in pubs and cafes. I've learned so much from each of the people I had the pleasure of sharing musical ideas with, no matter what "level" they were. From soloing technique and music theory from a rock guitarist or latin rhythms from percussion players, there has always been something new to explore.

Also, I think that, in order to really appreciate these experiences, you have to keep an open mind and be humble. Sometimes, you might look at a musician playing their instrument and think "I'm better than that, for sure!". But, if you actually start talking to/jamming with them you'll discover that there is something in their music that's unique and that you couldn't see at a first glance. It really pays to be open-minded.

Be open minded...   Well Said.

Badeye   cool

one caper after another

badeye wrote:

Be open minded...   Well Said.

Badeye   cool

Yeah that's true too.  Many songs that become favorites came from other people suggesting ones I sure never came up with.

Steve

duxrus wrote:

The best thing thats help me ,,,beside Chordie is being able to leave my guitars out where I can get too them at anytime,,,,I know that maybe hard to do if you have small kids around,,,but my kids are all grown...LOL

I'm going to second this one.   The best thing you can do is practice, and the best way to ensure you practice a lot is to make sure the guitar is easy to access.

Keep it out of the case, on a stand, right next to wherever you sit your butt down at the end of the day.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]