Topic: Electric Guitar Primer?

Hey guys (and gals)... I need a little help.  My husband has been playing a piece of junk steel acoustic for a few years now.  It's a horrible guitar, and as such he hasn't progressed very much.  In fact, since our anniversary when he purchased my first guitar (and I just started playing) he's actually progressed a bit further by utilizing my nylon string.  Sooo... in thinking of what he likes as far as style of music, ease of playablility etc... we have collectively determined that what he NEEDS is an electric.  He likes heavy metal... we're talking Korn and Slipknot and the like (of course he likes Willie Nelson and Tom Petty too he's not a total tough guy... but don't let anyone know).  Anyhow... I did a ton of research on tone woods and such when we bought mine... but electric is another story!

Can anyone lead me to the proper direction on some kind of primer on electric guitars?  I know the wood isn't actually quite as important here... but what is?  Pick ups?  Built in effects and such?  Is it the amp?  I know absolutely nothing about this!  Honestly he doesn't know much about them either.  He never even considered one until we were talking and I made the point that if he really wanted to play 90% of the music that he keeps printing chords and tab out for... it'd be best on an electric! 

If it helps at all... he's got callouses built up already... but still his steel string is difficult to fret.  He likes the width of the neck on my classical (Ibanez 3/4) and frankly so do I... I too have a difficult time with the strings so close together on his yamaha "starter".  He wants something that's easy to fret like my nylon strings as far as pressure too... which I assume he'll get from an electric ... but would that mean magnetic pu would be better?  Or does that come with a slew of problems down the road?

And then... we have to get an amp too I guess... will "anyone" do for now or should this too be a purchase that is not made lightly?  He's only gonna play in the house, no major loudness required... but sound quality of course is important!

You don't have to go into specifics... I know there's probably a lot more to it and personal opinion plays a role... but any suggestions to a website with info so that shopping will be sensible will be greatly appreciated!  That... and a note on which ones to stay away from because they have skinny necks or are just complete junk (no, we won't shop at wal-mart for this purchase).  Thanks!!!!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Re: Electric Guitar Primer?

Hey Amy,

This is kind of a tough one but first thing . Do you want to go solid or hollow body electric . More metal and hard rockers go solid body . Alot of jazz , blues and some of the more mellow sounds are done on semihollow. Like BB King, Chet Atkins and on and on.
There are alot of exceptions tho , Ted Nugent and  many more have used hollow bodies but it isn't really common . If you go to a solid body the Fender Strat is probably the most versatile for getting lots of different sounds , great for blues, country and rock.

A place to go for User Reviews , click on user reviews and go to the catagory and brand and see what folks have to say about each model you are interested in.

www.harmonycentral.com

Musicans friend is a good site to look at pricing and has reviews on all units also . I won't post the link cause it's frowned on smile

There are alot of good practice type small amps now days and maybe some of our friends will help out

Later, Wayne P

3 (edited by mekidsmom 2009-12-02 15:27:00)

Thanks Wayne... I guess based on $$ we're going to be looking at a solid body!  I think if it were me, I'd prefer a semihollow... but it's not me, it's him!  LOL!  I think he was looking at solid body guitars tho anyhow, so we're good there.

Ok... so looking at the strat or the tele... in simple terms, the strat would be more "mellow" sounding and the tele has more "punch"?  From what I'm reading, I'm thinking I'd compare the strat to a nylon string and the tele to a steel string??  I know... totally apples and oranges, but I want to try to send him in the right direction because he will NEVER do all the research necessary to choose what's really best for his tastes.   I think based on what I've seen thus far... sending him toward the tele would be the way to go for his heavier stuff... BUT the strat would be a more "all purpose" guitar.

Ok... I'm going to do some more research on this neck vs. bridge pick up stuff... and then when my head starts to hurt too much I'm going to get out my nylon strings and MELLOW OUT!  LOL!  (note to self, the surprise Christmas present will be a set of HEADPHONES)

if I was going to run out and buy him one today (which I'm not... he'll have to try them out)... I think I'd lean toward the Squire Affinity Fat Strat.  Good price, good reviews, includes the humbucker pu ... any thoughts?

I think that one can't go wrong with either a Fender Stratocaster or a Gibson Les Paul...  Artists have covered just about every type of music with one or both! Course each has numberous variations and configurations such as pickups, necks, etc.  Both companies have great websites and forums that have lots of information and user comments. I'm convinced that any player could work with his or her choice...an American Fender Stratocaster with the standard configuration, or a Gibson Les Paul Standard. Of course I'm full of opinions but for me the Telecaster is my guitar of choice...if the house was burning and could only save one, then it would by my Telly!

Middleaged Redneck sorta guy who refuses to grow up...passion for music, especially Southern Rock but like bout everything cept Gangsta/Hip Hop. Collect guitars, mandolins, and love to ride Harleys.

I second jaygordon...strat or les paul. Depneding on your budget a copy may be in order. If a copy is your choice be sure to check out Agile and SX brands. Good quality inexpensive but by all means if you have the means buy the name brand stuff

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

Hi MekidsMom,

I'm certainly no expert here as some are, but while the Strat= Tele and Les Pauls are of course great guitars they will cost you a pretty penny. I've heard it said on here many times that you should buy the best guitar you can afford "and I agree with that" but if one can't afford the Strat's Tele's or Les Pauls then as Geoaguiar said The Agiles get great reviews or even a copy. There are other guitars out there that sound great that dosen't cost near as much, anyway, I'm sure whatever he picks out he'll love, and I'd like to add that I think it's great that you are doing so much research for him, and that the two of you support each others love of music!

Cam

Keep a fire burning in your eyes
Pay attention to the open sky
You never know what will be coming down

I'm no expert on this either but I do love your idea of surprise headphones for Christmas. Just make sure he doesn't crank it and go deaf or he'll never hear you when your........ lol

Best of luck in your search MKM. big_smile

Kenny

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

A co-worker bought his daughter a Fender squire bullet strat. It was 99 bucks and came with a small pratice amp. What a steal. A great starter package. I got together with her to show a few chords and the set up was absolute crap. Sorry, but it was that bad. I'm no guitar tech but I took it home and did a set up on it and was blown away at how much it sounded like my American standard Strat. She liked the distortion on my amp. I told her not to buy a distortion pedal, but a small multi effect pedal. I found a used digitech RP 50 on craigslist for 40 bucks. So for $140 and a set up you could get a rig.

9 (edited by dino48 2009-12-03 04:28:02)

for myself ,I think a fender stratocaster is the most versitile you can use,you can get one made in mexico for about $175.00. I also love gibsons 335 but thats alot of money. I might suggest taking afew hours or days at guitar dealers and trying some models out.I will not by one online as I need to feel it and hear it before I buy it,good luck!!

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

He seems really overwhelmed... so I'm REALLY glad I'm doing some research so I can steer him in a good direction.  So far this is what I've got for an "electric guitar primer" ... let me know if I'm wrong!

1. a solid body guitar should be made of SOLID wood... no laminate... not two different types of wood for the face and back
2. alder would be the best choice if you can choose a wood???
3. for an electric that will "play anything" ... look for 2 single coils and one humbucker pu
4. the 5 way switching seems to be a good option to go along with those pick ups
5. don't need to get fancy with the amp if you're just playing in a house filled with 4 other people (2 are under 5 years old)
6. in the case of #5 headphones are a necessity and a practical "surprise" gift to go along with the guitar and amp
7. Ibanez makes great guitars... however they tend to be tricky on the fretting hand
8. If you can afford it buy a Fender or a Gibson
9. If you can't afford it... you can always upgrade the set-up and still have a great guitar (in many cases)
10.Made in Mexico is better than Made in China in a lot of cases

Ok... so that's what I've got THUS far.  Again, let me know if I'm wrong on any of these points!  LOL!  A lot of the points there I've gotten not just from reading your suggestions, but they've been seconded elsewhere on the web (so you guys do know what you're talking about!).  Of course, the NUMBER ONE rule of buying any guitar should always be to try it out first, that one goes without saying.

So my last question.  He said something about going to the local music shop and maybe buying a used guitar.  Something nicer than the Squire for the same price.  Now... I know the local music shop is going to know the value of these used guitars and they aren't going to just let someone get a "steal" in.  Should I expect that if he does find something he likes there... that it will have been gone thru?  (at one of the shops my feeling is yes, at the other my feeling is no) Should I expect that the pickups will need to be maybe changed?  Should I expect that we'll have to shell out a little extra to have it gone thru and set up?  I'm a little leary about that.  I'm thinking he'd be better heading into a pawn shop or on ebay to buy something used at more of a "steal" and THEN pay to have it gone thru and set up.  Personally... I'd prefer if he just bought a "starter electric" and get to know it... THEN plan on spending $500 NEXT year once he knows what he's doing!  I'm a bit cautious about him finding something he THINKS he wants and spending a huge chunk on it and then wishing he'd waited till he knew better.  I feel like I'm talking about a little kid here not a grown man... but really... he's a beginner and doesn't know what he "needs" just "wants".  I won't throw out a man slur here, because ALL adults can act like kids sometimes! wink

I'm no expert on this either but I do love your idea of surprise headphones for Christmas. Just make sure he doesn't crank it and go deaf or he'll never hear you when your........

No problem there... he's good at toning me out already Kenny!  We've been together 10 years in February (married for 7) ... so he's a pro at that!  LOL! smile

Agile and SX

I haven't been able to find anything out about these online. sad Can someone lead me to their websites?

'm no guitar tech but I took it home and did a set up on it and was blown away at how much it sounded like my American standard Strat.

Yep... I've heard a LOT of that... with the right set up the Squire's sound awesome... some have great reviews right out of the box like that one Fat Strat I mentioned earlier.  I'm really hoping he goes that way... but in the end it'll be up to him of course!

I might suggest taking afew hours or days at guitar dealers and trying some models out.

That's what I want to do... BEFORE we put the money together and actually KNOW the exact amount that is really going to get spent... to just try a bunch of them out.  When we bought my classical we were just planning on trying a bunch out.  I picked up $1000 guitars... $700 guitars... $99 guitars... and in the end settled on a "starter" that cost about $150... I actually liked how it felt and sounded more than the more expensive ones!  Low and behold we had the cash and purchased it that day cuz I fell in love and we DID have $150!  smile  I really want him to just go and try a bunch of them out before he does much more looking online and tries to fall in love with the LOOKS of one!

THANKS everyone for your help!

Hello again,

I have a friend that works at the local music store, he has been to luthier school and does all the repair work and setups . Also he  has nearly completed his music major in college. He can make any thing sound great . I will ask him what starter electric he would recommend. He will give me an honest opinion and why. I will post something after I talk to him. It's just another opinion but I consider him an expert smile

Later, Wayne P

Hi MeKidsMom,

Try this link for the Agiles, but remember you can't hold this one in your hands first, thats the only bad thing.

http://rondomusic.com/

Also you can get a nice little pratice amp for around $100.00 a line 6 Spider 3 amp has lots of effects for a small amp with lots of distortion or a good clean sound.

Cam

cameronkl7 wrote:

Hi MeKidsMom,

Try this link for the Agiles, but remember you can't hold this one in your hands first, thats the only bad thing.

Also you can get a nice little pratice amp for around $100.00 a line 6 Spider 3 amp has lots of effects for a small amp with lots of distortion or a good clean sound.

Cam

I've bought several guitars from Rondo. His service is second to none. If you don't like it return it with no questions asked. No hassle. I own Agile, SX and Valencias. Agile is his premiere brand and the AL series are Les Paul Clones. I have an AL2500 that plays as well as a Gibson and feels much better than any Epiphone Les Paul I've tried. I also have a SX strat copy which feels as good if not better than a Mexi Stratocaster. Cameron's right, excellent stuff. I can't say enough

Elvis Costello

geoaguiar wrote:
cameronkl7 wrote:

Hi MeKidsMom,

Cam

I've bought several guitars from Rondo. His service is second to none. If you don't like it return it with no questions asked. No hassle. I own Agile, SX and Valencias. Agile is his premiere brand and the AL series are Les Paul Clones. I have an AL2500 that plays as well as a Gibson and feels much better than any Epiphone Les Paul I've tried. I also have a SX strat copy which feels as good if not better than a Mexi Stratocaster. Cameron's right, excellent stuff. I can't say enough

Geo and Cam i'm glad you both commented about Rondo and the Agiles. I've been looking at an Al 2500 and couldn't make up my mind. Now that i know of two real people that have them and are pleased it will definately be my next buy if my wife doesn't surprise me with it for Christmas. I've hinted around for one since October. MKM I think your hubby would love the Agile. It would make a great hard rock/metal guitar i'm sure and they have wide neck models that are a little easier to play when you're accustomed to playing acoustics like i am.

Howdy Mekidsmom,

I was reading your list of 10 "high points" and you are right on in just about everything that you should be considering.  A couple of things I'd like to throw at ya if it's alright....

First, don't let that Made in China label influence you too much, many fine instruments are being produced over there where labor is so much cheaper, and those fellas know how to do good work too.

Second, The Fender is a good choice for the spot of "all around" guitar because of the 5 way switching and yes, the humbucker/single/single pickup configuration will get you a very wide tonal range within the kinds of music you expect to be playing.

Third,  watch the Fender Squier, I have one sitting on the music room floor undergoing a color change, and after stripping off the original paint.... found that it is a chunk of plywood, and not very good plywood at that.  Granted it does play well and sounds pretty good for the money.... and I suppose you could say it is "solid wood".......?!!?  But I'd go for a transparent finish because it is hard to hide a bad piece of wood under a clear coating.

Good Hunting, and Happy Holidays;
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Thanks guys!

Wayne... I look forward to hearing your friend's suggestion!

Cam and Geo ... AWESOME site!  I found one that is very similar to that Squire Fat Strat, only the SX clearly is of a better quality.  Well... to me it seems it anyhow... better parts, clearly defined what wood it's made of (where the squire just says "solid hardwood") etc.  I have no clue if he'll consider buying online, but it certainly does raise the bar a little.  With their price including an amp and shipping we'd be saving about $30 and getting a better set up... but no touching first.  Excellent return policy too... and the shipping is only $22... it's pretty close to sales tax on something purchased locally.  Seems worth losing out on the $22 shipping if he's not happy.  It is an excellent option!  THANK YOU again!

Oh Doug you were posting at the same time I was and I missed that!  Thank you!  Good to know I seem to be on the money with my 10 points!  LOL! 

Yeah... that, "solid wood" is bugging me a little with their descriptions... if you're going to tell me it's solid, then you should tell me WHAT solid wood it's made of right?  Hmmmm... and yours is solid "plywood" ... now I KNOW he wouldn't be very happy to learn THAT as his opinion of plywood is that the only thing it's good for is bonfires!

He will be happy with the SX fat strat copy. I have a maple neck one and a tele copy with a rosewood neck. I would recommend the maple neck for playability. It's a little orange for people who care a great deal about the look. I only care how it plays and it plays way better than it costs. I find electric guitar shopping is easier than acoustic guitar shopping. There's much less worry about trying before you buy. Electrics seem to vary less from unit to unit. Good luck!

Elvis Costello

Well the hubster seems pretty pleased with the pick I found him on the SX... we shall see.  We're still going to go to a local shop and play some and check out what they have... make sure that this configuration we're looking at is what he really wants.  He doesn't think he needs a whammy bar... but hey.  The best part is that I sent him an email (LOL... which he read on the same computer I sent it from) quoting a few of you in it so he'd get the clear picture of the opinions from people who know.  And I got... "did you tell them.." YES ... "did you ask them..." YES... "well what about..." YES --- You know hun, you could go on there and ask people yourself you don't have to be a stranger to the forum.  I mean, you use Chordie all the time and print stuff out... "yeah well you know I don't do those messaging things, I don't know how to use a computer that much."   UGH... LOL!  So, I shall thank you all from my husband since he's too stubborn to figure out how to post a message.  He really appreciates the help!!

Wayne... I'm still waiting for that suggestion from your friend too.  We're not dead set on purchasing over the internet... so I look forward to hearing his opinion!  My hubby was really excited when I told him about you asking for us!

Make friends on the internet?  What?  Pah!  Oh really?  That's so nice they're helping like this!!  (hee hee)

20 (edited by wlbaye 2009-12-04 13:17:09)

Howdy,

I got a chance briefly to talk to my friend , they were very busy . It really depends on if you are really gonna be into playing metal. He said he did not know of a strat or a copy that had pickups that were good for playing metal. If that is a big issue he said you should maybe look at Peavey or Ibenez.
If you are not hung up on that he plays a Les Paul but just purchased a Strat for it's versatility.
I wish I could have talked to him more but I was heading out for the weekend and it looked like the holiday rush had started there.
He said they have a PV Pxd 23 guitar ,amp , mic  package for $300 that sounds killer for the money. I can't find any specs on the guitar and if metal isn't a huge stumbling block go with a strat or strat copy.

Later,

I am in North Dakota visiting my mother for the weekend and it is cold  -15 F   

BBBBBRRRRRR   cool

Later, Wayne P

I did a google search on that Peavey Pxd 23 ... and it does sound like an awesome deal for someone looking to thrash!  The PXD series was apparently designed with their amp in mind, and makes sense they're packaging them together.  I think he really is looking more toward the versatility of a Strat (or copy) however.  As much as he LOVES the heavy stuff... he really does like to play a lot of softer music too.  I think keeping an eye on the PXD for next year will be a nice addition (look, I already have plans for my husband to be collecting guitars... ha ha)!

-15!  WOW!  We're in the 20-40 range in CNY... expecting snow tonight.  It's way too early for those negative digits just yet!  Hope you brought your parka with you Wayne!!

22 (edited by mekidsmom 2009-12-15 12:06:04)

Well... HAPPY DAYS!  After he did a bunch of research too... the SX that I found for him is exactly the guitar that he ended up deciding upon... soooo... I ordered it yesterday and requested 3 day shipping (since it was only $15 more... figure make it better chances to not get delayed on the way here in Christmas season) ... AND it's already at my LOCAL delivery center this morning!  OMG!  They move fast, and clearly UPS is moving fast this year too!  I'm very excited... and now can't wait for Christmas so he can unwrap it!!

This is the one I ordered for the hubster:  http://www.rondomusic.com/hawkmnft3ts.html

While I was at it... I ordered my son the package deal that they have up on the site right now. 
This is it:  http://www.rondomusic.com/rstbk.html
Looks like a pretty nice guitar and it comes with their "standard" amp... so the boys will be able to play right away!  I'll let hubby pick out the amp he really wants when he's ready... now... on to find some good headphones so I don't get rocked out of the house on Christmas!!

Thank you again guys for your suggestion on rondomusic ... considering that I was looking at the Squires... I think even the $115 guitar PACK that I ordered for my son includes a better quality guitar than one of those for $170 AND he gets an amp to boot!  I'm sooo excited!

Next year... if they both play enough on these... they can start becoming "collectors" and get something even nicer!  I can't say enough how excited about this I am.  THANK YOU AGAIN everyone for your help!!

Yep... he's looking at the Spider... right at about $100... I'll let him grab that when he's ready, he likes the idea of not needing the pedals and all that with this amp.

Good Stuff MKM big_smile

Sounds like there's gonna be a Christmas morning jam at your house.

Must have pics. big_smile
Kenny

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

Hi Mekidsmom,

I hope your Husband gets lots and lots of enjoyment out of his new guitar, let us know how it goes for him after he unwraps it Christmas!

Cam