Topic: String Advice - looking for some nice tone

I'm playing an Epi Dot with Gibson 490/498 pups with D'Addario 10-46s - but the sound is a little thin for my taste.  I'm looking for that chunkier, almost Les Paul feel - any suggestions?  I don't have a problem moving to larger gauge - just want some stronger tone.

Now I work down at the car wash where all it ever does is rain.

'99 Gibson Les Paul Special DC, '99 Epiphone Dot, '06 Norman B50, '03 Yamaha FG-433S, Fender Performer 650

Re: String Advice - looking for some nice tone

I'm wondering why you've narrowed the problem down to the strings? A fresh set of D'Addario 10-46 should sound great on your guitar...Have you tried a different amp and different settings with your pickups? Not trying to be critical, just trying to get a handle on this...A quality guitar with quality pickups and strings makes me suspect some wiring/switch/capacitor issues or an amp that's not delivering...betcha someone here can come up with some good info

Middleaged Redneck sorta guy who refuses to grow up...passion for music, especially Southern Rock but like bout everything cept Gangsta/Hip Hop. Collect guitars, mandolins, and love to ride Harleys.

The guitar is delivering, the pups are loud and I have dialled around with the tone as well as the amp (Fender Performer 650).  Don't worry about the critique - I'm just looking for some suggestions from people with a similar guitar who use different strings.

'99 Gibson Les Paul Special DC, '99 Epiphone Dot, '06 Norman B50, '03 Yamaha FG-433S, Fender Performer 650

Hi Ckphoto,

My buddy Jeff plays a Dot and uses Elixer med. strings with nice result, like 12-54s.  It would help to know if you are looking for more bottom or top end though.   Acoustically I use D'Addario Bluegrass that have a heavier Bass string trio and a light top end.  In my case I was looking for a bit more Bass as my Ovation is a shallow body and doesn't produce much in the low end without a heavier string.

I Use Elixer lights on my Solid Body Epi. and they sound really good with the old Classic 57 Gibson Hummers.  The Dot though does benefit quite a bit from a little additional string tension, the bridge needs to put a bit of downward push on that semi-hollow body to get the resonance that they really like to make.  That classic jazz sound that the 335s do so well.

Good Hunting & Take Care;
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Thanks Doug - I was checking out the Gibson Humbucker strings over the web and may give them a try - interesting to hear about the heavier gauge adding resonance.

Yep, thicker strings = thicker tone.

Dm

"Talent instantly recognizes genius,
but mediocrity knows nothing more than itself."

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle