Topic: Gibson vs Fender

Which high-end guitar is better the Gibson SG or the Fender Strat? I want to get a new guitar but I can't decide between the two. Please help me out.

Re: Gibson vs Fender

Typical questions first.

#1, What type of sound are you going for?

#2, Which one are you more comfortable playing?

#3, Have you played them both?

#4, How much money are you willing to spend?

Ask yourself these questions and enjoy either one.

Bootlegger.

Bootlegger guitars.

The SG is for the more experienced player and is more expensive

The Fender is good for beginners and is sold at a fairly reasonable price

If ur goin for AC/DC, Led Zeppelin heavy rock, the SG is best. Fender's are good for The Beatles, Janis Joplin, softer Jimi Hendrix, and other more hippy psychadelic rock.

Hope you find the guitar that suits you!!

<table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td class="SmallText"><b>bootleger wrote on Sat, 21 April 2007 02&#58;44</b></td></tr><tr><td class="quote">
Typical questions first.

#1, What type of sound are you going for?

#2, Which one are you more comfortable playing?

#3, Have you played them both?

#4, How much money are you willing to spend?

Ask yourself these questions and enjoy either one.

Bootlegger.

Bootlegger guitars.
</td></tr></table>

<font color="crimson"></font><b></b><i></i>Bootlegger has pegged it! I can't really add anything to what he's said. Everyone has opinions but he said it all...good luck and hope you find what you are looking for...

Middleaged Redneck sorta guy who refuses to grow up...passion for music, especially Southern Rock but like bout everything cept Gangsta/Hip Hop. Collect guitars, mandolins, and love to ride Harleys.

<font face="Times"><font size="2"><font color="indigo"> I own both a Strat and a SG. Both play wonderfully and sound great.That being said I think it all depends on the sound your looking for. My SG has humbuckers and i use it for playing songs with a harder edge such as Zep,AC/DC,Metallica ect. I use my Strat for just about everything else such as Stones,Clapton,Pink Floyd ect. I will say this though, if the house caught fire and i could only save one guitar it would be the Stratocaster... I love that guitar for its tonal range and its playability...(*hint) Theres a reason Eddie Van Halen's guitars are based on the Strat.. its hard to go wrong with one. I highly recommend trying both to see which one suits your style of play and if you decide on a Strat, then go the few extra bucks and get one made in the USA. Mine is a Highway 1 Stratocaster made in Corona,California... what else can I say but I love that guitar and to the guy that commented that Fenders are for begginers... Hey Man, get a clue... they are for musicians period! Just ask the likes of Dave Gilmour or Keith Richards or even Clapton... nuff said.</font></font></font>

fender verses gibson.....tough call.....srat verses sg...... easy call in my book. I find the sg top heavy and not at all comfortable while the strat fits perfectly with your body. the maple neck has a real nice touch (my preference s compared to the rosewood neck)
one can get that harder edge wth a strat if you want but you cant get that strat sound from an sg. dont get me wrong I gave up my strat for a gibson. but it was not the sg

what a long strange trip it's been

I like the floating bridge on the sg. I makes it easier to pick and palm mute and the sg is just a great sounding and playing guitar. Mind you I wouldn't be dissapointed if I had a strat though, their both top guitars.

[url=http://www.myspace.com/rdxfunk]www.myspace.com/rdxfunk[/url]

gibson guitars are cooler      i have to dissagre with anyone who says other wise

SG'S    RULE!!!!!!

dont light yourself on fire... it kinda hurts.

SGman999 wrote:

gibson guitars are cooler      i have to dissagre with anyone who says other wise

SG'S    RULE!!!!!!

Based upon your experience, what else have you owned or played extensivley. Both Fender and Gibson guitars have their own merits, one is not better than the other. Their like a women (I know tread lightly) Their all beautiful but I bet you think your's is  the most beautiful in the world to "YOU".  Keep an open mind. Jokingly I like to tell people " My mind is like a steel trap, rusted and hard to open" Play both and enjoy both that you favor one over the other is fine, their both good guitars.

Bootlegger.

who are you my mother?  im not really saying ones better that the other im just saying that i like the SG better that thee otherand your right i dont have mutch experiance in fact i just bought my first guitar ind im awaiting its arrival.  but my personal opinnion is that the sg's are cooler and better than then the strat.

I wonder why he thinks the SG's are so much "cooler" than other guitars? I agree that the SG's is an excellent guitar but why is it apparently the ultimate statement of "Cool". I wonder why "Cool" is important anyway...

Middleaged Redneck sorta guy who refuses to grow up...passion for music, especially Southern Rock but like bout everything cept Gangsta/Hip Hop. Collect guitars, mandolins, and love to ride Harleys.

OMG!!!! are you saying im wrong because of the way i used my words !?    all im saying is that the SG'S look better (cooler in my words) then the stratocaster. im not saying the strat isnt a good guitar i would of bought one its just that the shape dosent define me.  it not like i dont like them there good guitars and they sound good its just not in the ME factor...and i do agree with bootleger that there both good gutiars.

any othere complaints against me?

SGman every time I have played an SG the unbalanced top heavy feel of this guitar just did not feel right to me. Does it not bother you at all. Just curious

I have a spectrum. No one's ever heard of Spectrum.

15 (edited by SGman999 2007-06-13 00:35:13)

A)  rainman spectrum is a funny word

b) no it all dependes on how it feels i dont own one yet but i orderd one.  ive held it a load of times (friends house & the store when i was looking to buy and it felt like it was part of me... no pprobs to me i also like the telecaster. the les paul is nice to. and im not saying the strat isnt a good guitar i like it plenty but i just like the sg more

SGman99 wrote:

SG'S    RULE!!!!!!

SGman999 wrote:

who are you my mother?  im not really saying ones better that the other im just saying that i like the SG better that thee otherand your right i dont have mutch experiance in fact i just bought my first guitar ind im awaiting its arrival.  but my personal opinnion is that the sg's are cooler and better than then the strat.

Based upon your first quotation "i have to disagree with anyone who says other wise" (not clarified until asked by Jaygordon75 in another post). Henceforth my request on what your experience was based upon it is not whether I am right or wrong. I like to get my facts straight before I make a statement and or give my opinion. Now based upon your second quote "i just bought my first guitar and awating it's arrival" I have a question for you.

Did you play the Epi SG before you ordered one? or based upon your other statement "my personel opinion is that sg's are cooler and better than the strat". Unless you have played both your statments are not valid because you are basing your opinions on looks rather than experience. Unless you have played both then when you get the Epi sg starter kit (not a degration but per an other posting you made you stated that it is a kit ordered from musicians friend.com) you may not like the action, neck width and or the sound of humbucker pickups.

My experience with both type guitars, Gibson SG's and Fender Stratocasters. My first brand new guitar was a Gibson SG Custom, black with Gibson dirty finger pickup, Grover machine heads (tuners), Schaller fine tune bridge (bought with my first full time job pay check after getting out high shcool). Back in 1979 it cost me $600.00 american. I currently own two Fender strats, I have built a custom strat  and am currently building a new strat and a new sg. So I have owned and played both.

Let me go on to say that I write this response to degrade you but as a lesson not only to you but to other youth who are on this forum. We have an obligation to give correct information and not go off half cocked on our responses. The experience on this forum is a valuable and informative asset. So when asked don't take it as a personal attack or a chance to flame anyone but as a chance to learn.

Closing to reply to your comment "who are you my mother?" If I were I would teach you respect the same has been afforded to you.

Schools out.

Bootlegger.

BRAVO BOOLEGGER

18 (edited by SGman999 2007-06-14 00:48:44)

ok first of all that was reay long...

second of all WHY ARE WE STILL ON THIS SUBJEST I ALREDY MADE IT CLEAR THIT I LIKE THE GIBSON SG OVER THE FENDER STRATOCASTER OK?!         third yes it is a kit it just came in ind its sitting right infront of me... fourth yes my personnal opinion is the sg is better ( feels better, looks better (although i didnt get it just because of the looks)  fith your right this is my first gutiar but i have held ( not exactly played) and i feel that the sg fits my style of music better than the strat.

and last sorry bout the mother thing, the girl of my dreams is going with a jerk who i hated before all this so im in one of my angryer moods.

The SG is a great guitar, and I almost bought one this year, BUT, I was scared off by the glued neck joint. As I understand it, a cracked or broken neck orhead cannot be repaired on the SG, and one salesman told me it is somewhat common. Does anyone have any expierience with this?

i just got my epi sg today and so far no probs with the neck but i havent owned it for more than 24 hours

Congradulations SGman on your new guitar. All the hours you put into practice will pay off ten fold (even more)  Keep your head to the grindstone

hewilson wrote:

The SG is a great guitar, and I almost bought one this year, BUT, I was scared off by the glued neck joint. As I understand it, a cracked or broken neck orhead cannot be repaired on the SG, and one salesman told me it is somewhat common. Does anyone have any expierience with this?

Hewilson:
The salesperson who by the way may not have as much knowledge in the instruments he sells as you do. (Based upon "Experience" with Walmart type music stores based in the U.S.A.) But hey it's cool because you work in a music store (also let me clarify that not all sales persons in music stores are inept, there are a lot that know their stuff).

Is right about headstock breakage on Gibson style necks because if they are cut from a single blank the head stock is cut thinner (usuall 1/2") to accomidate the tuners. With set neck guitars (or glued in necks) you can't just but a new replacement neck and bolt (actually screw) it on. If you break the neck to close to the body you have to either chisle out the heal and recut (rerout) the neck pocket, not to mention make an new neck. 

If it breaks midway from the head stock to the body and also just the head stock then you have to take off the binding use a hot knife ans remove your fingerboard (which will also need to be replaced more than likley) remove your truss rod and do a scarf joint to a new piece of Mahogany (typical Gibson neck and body material). Prior to gluing at the scarf joint you have to profile the replacement neck to the dimentions of the old neck and repaint (Gibson necks are usually painted the same color as the guitar). Then replace all the stuff you took off prior to the repair.

Is it time consuming and expensive "YES". If the break is not to bad and above the nut than you can just match it back to the break and reglue. You will still see a crak where it broke but the guitar will be functional. They usually only break when you drop them or you set the guitar down and it falls to it's side. That's why it's best to lay them flat or put them in a stand.

Yeah it's long but you have an answer that is correct and may be of use to you.

Bootlegger.