Topic: The "B" chord

Hi,

Beginner in terms of playing. Its going well, though I struggle with my 1st finger for the "B" chord. I can't seem to get enough pressure on the string to get a good sound. Other chords i've got quicker but this one I struggle with.

Really just wondered if this was a common theme amongst other players. Any tips/ help greatly appreciated!

Cheers.

2 (edited by Zurf 2010-03-15 14:22:45)

Re: The "B" chord

It is a common problem. The B chord is evil.  Only mutants can play the B chord, and even then they must take special precautions to protect themselves from the evil nature of the chord.  LONG LIVE THE MUTANTS! 

Please contact Russell Harding to request B chord amnesty.  He's been pretty generous with it. 

My usual solution is to play a B7 instead and call it an arrangement. 

- Zurf

edit to add: Welcome to the Chordie forums!

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Zurf wrote:

Lawlz!

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

First off welcome to chordie rowly14. A good set up makes things easier. The thing with barre chords is it's good to use the index and middle finger to apply enough pressure to get a clean sound. Plenty of practice and you will have it in no time.

jerome.oneil wrote:
Zurf wrote:

Lawlz!

Playing a single B bass note in a bass run (up or down) works too.  Anytime in key of E where a B is needed, I use B7.  If B is a sixth or a second, I slip in a Bm and transition early to the next chord.  Sometimes I let the chord before it ring while I sing a little louder where the B chord belongs.  The only problem with that is the only thing that sounds worse than my B chords is my singing.  But singing is easier, and I'm big enough most people won't laugh in my face for it. 

B chords can readily be avoided with sufficient motivation. 

- Zurf

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

Dude, you are a living lesson in chord substitution.  A role model to be emulated and admired.

You can also sub in a major 7 for the 4th, FYI.

I am curious as to why this question always comes up with B, though, and not any other barre.  C in the 2nd position, for example, or F# in the 1st.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

7 (edited by Doug_Smith 2010-03-15 20:14:50)

Hi Jerome,

Being out here playing for like 40 (really forty!) years,  the B was a tough chord to get in position 1....  the minor seemed a good "get-by" for the longest time, then magically a raquetball accident destroyed the pinky on my right hand, and damaged the ring finger on my left.... which made it really easy to get that knuckle flat across the 234 strings!  Mutation complete LOL!

The F chord fixation however intrigues me, one of the first chords I learned.  G and C and F and then the dreaded B. Major 7ths are golden though, much fuller tone and good alternatives wherever you can squeeze one in.

I almost forgot to give a hearty Welcome Aboard to our new Member!  Howdy!

Take Care;
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Jerome, I wonder this myself. My only reasoning might be that beginners tend to learn songs that are easy to learn and alot of easier music are blues stuff key of E which alot of songs will show a BMaj chord and not an alternate B. So..they then have to
go thru the learning of the dreadful A position barre fingerings. Somehow I think this is good. Learn the barres as soon as you
are ready, but learn which alternates work for each barre. This way you can play the song while you are getting the barres down pat.        Barre F-F#, Bflat-B are down there where the string tension makes it rough for learning. Not sure if this makes any sense but I think what I'm getting to is that songs that show all major chords and A-C-D-E-F-G all have open fingerings
whereas the B has to be barred--unless you have learned that alternate chords are OK to use.

I think I just confused myself-lol,                another NW picker, Mike

Our intuitions serve us well

Hey Doug, if I bought a racket.... Think you could hook me up?

No Problem Craig!

A word of warning though.... that short "racket" will sure mess up your Tennis game.  Low hard shots at the front wall create habits that are difficult to break on the clay, and you find yourself "choking up" on the tennis grip.

But seriously, practice will get you there without having to get your hands damaged with a lot less discomfort.  My mutation all happened in the same set.... I slipped on a shot and one of our opponents shuffled backwards into my right hand while I was pushing myself off the floor dislocating the little finger.  I reset it and we continued the match.  three serves later his partner stomped on my left in a similar situation (springboard floors get slick when wet), but Ray & I went on to win the set and held them to under five points per set for the rest of the match.  Good times then.... darn I'm feeling old about now! LOL

Take Care;
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Doug - I teased Russell about having his fingers "gnarled into compliance."   Seems like you took the quick and painful route.

Craig - That made me laugh out loud.

- Zurf

Thats what I was going for!

When a song calls for a B, I'll sometimes make a "cheater" B, i.e. make an A-shape on strings 2-3-4 (fret 4) with fingers 4-3-2, and then fret string 1 on the 2nd fret with my index.  Then just play strings 4-1.

Sometimes, though, the tone is too high.  In that case, I just do like Zurf suggested and substitute a B7.

"Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid." - Despair, Inc.

I find it much easier to play a B chord by barring your index finger across the sixth fret, middle finger on 3rd string of seventh fret, ring and pinky fingers on 5 and 4 strings (respecfully) on eighth fret.  Try it!

I have never had a problem wit "B",  course I gots them honkin big meat hooks too.(size 12 wedding band) .the only time I have trouble is down below the 9th or 10th fret where you get into the odd ball chords like Q#m9th dim13&1/3.My fingers is just too honkin big for the littlebitty fancy chords and notes.Now if I had fingers like ET I MIGHT have a bit of a problem.

Baree chords is fun some of the first ones my dad taught me back when I had all my hair,and it was black and my teeth stayed in my mouth at night ,not in a glass on the nightstand.Oh  and it is a lot easier for me to build "A" with one finger not 3,,aint enuff room in the house down there.From tip of pinkey finger to tip of thumb measures an even 9 1/2 inches.and I am right handed ,that was my left hand measurement.,

Bend em tight and let er scream.

Long "A" chord.

N        1st        2nd            3rd             4th
E.......................o..........................................
A.......................o..........................................
D.......................1..........................................
G.......................1..........................................
B.......................1..........................................
e.............................................................4....

Barre at 2nd fret with index finger (1)
Pinky finger(4) at 4 fret (high e string)

Long "B" Chord

N        1st        2nd            3rd             4th             5th                6th
E...........................................................o..........................................
A...........................................................o..........................................
D.......................................................... 1.........................................
G...........................................................1..........................................
B...........................................................1..........................................
e....................................................................................................4..

Barre 4th fret with index finger
Pinky finger at 6th fret (high e string)

This is the "Old Time" way.

and it's movable!

Nela

17 (edited by manicbassman 2010-04-02 18:33:43)

you've drawn your diagrams upside down... most people start with the 1st string (high E) at the top

Here's them redrawn...

N        1st        2nd            3rd           4th        5th
e....................................................................4....
B.......................1..........................................
G.......................1..........................................
D.......................1..........................................
A.................................................................
E.................................................................

Barre at 2nd fret with index finger (1)
Pinky finger(4) at 5 fret (high e string)

Long "B" Chord

N        1st        2nd            3rd             4th            5th           6th        7th
e....................................................................................................4..
B...........................................................1..........................................
G...........................................................1..........................................
D.......................................................... 1.........................................
A.....................................................................................................
E.....................................................................................................

plus the pinky should be three frets up from the barre made by your index finger... where you had it meant you are playing major 7th chords... note, this is very handy to know... just slip the finger one more fret back so it is only the next fret up from the Barre and you're playing the 7 chord...

you do not play the open 5th and 6th strings

the Long G has the pinky on the G at the third fret and the 2nd, 3rd & 4th strings played open

strictly speaking, you're actually playing the second inversion as well because you're playing the 5th below the root rather than the 5th above the root

[url=http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w9/paulcooke100/Paul.jpg]a better photo of me[/url]
[url=http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w9/paulcooke100/IMGP0556.jpg]My basses[/url]
haven't photographed my guitars yet... smile

I play a B6 and deaden the high E string, works every time. PEACE

Yep, I done been firmly chastized and rightfully so. As I read what manicbassman posted I realized just what I had done in my post. The only excuse I can offer is that I was at work, in a hurry to leave and get to the company crawfish boil and didn't re-read my post. Sorry 'bout that.

nela

david_lewis wrote:

Oh  and it is a lot easier for me to build "A" with one finger not 3,,aint enuff room in the house down there.From tip of pinkey finger to tip of thumb measures an even 9 1/2 inches.and I am right handed ,that was my left hand measurement.,

I feel your pain.  Just for giggles I measured my left hand.  I'm right-handed also, and I'm 10.25 inches from tip of pinky to thumb.

I find it easy to make an A using fingers 2-4 rather than 1-3.

"Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid." - Despair, Inc.

hate to reiterate but couldn't resist the rhyme. All the bar chords are just bar/ barre chords. there's minor forms and major forms and 4 differents way you can play 'em. learn the 4 different ways and maybe someday you'll play 'em and never forget 'em.

Now available in 5G !

or you can go to the 7th fret and play the E position bar it is sometimes eaiser(they call the movable chords for that position (C A G E D ) but really thats just because their the 5 out of the 7 that don't require a bar to start out with ..... Tnpicker

I cheat
E A D G B E
o o 4  4  4 x

CHEATERS!  I like you guys... I think I may have to try this!  smile

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Once again, I play this chord very differently. I place my index finger on high e (small string) second fret....and just so happens that my pinky finger bends backwards from the tip to the first knuckle....lol just enough so, I place the end of my pinky finger on the three strings on the 4th fret...D, G, and B strings......and voila a "B" chord....I also do this for Bb....took a little getting used too, but I do it now with out even thinking about it, and it saves me from using two extra fingers....hahaha smile

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, But how to dance in the rain... smile