Topic: Is there such a thing as "B7 chord amnesty"?

If so, I need it.

x24242 ($#@%&  &$%#$ #&%$@ barre chord)

x21202 (my pinky won't cooperate)

Seriously . . . anybody using a shortcut or a fake they'd like to share?

Thanks.

"Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid." - Despair, Inc.

Re: Is there such a thing as "B7 chord amnesty"?

Well you might be able to take a full open A7 and just slide it up two frets and only play the bottom 4 strings to get by until you can get your pinky to cooperate.

Something like  xx4445

Not exactly the same, but close enough that only your band mates would notice.

Take Care;
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

I actually can do the B7 021202!  I'm still a little slow getting my fingers in place, but so far the B7 has only creeped up in a couple songs at a turning point in the song where I can hit one string at a time as I get my fingers lined up and not totally lose tempo.  Maybe try this, it looks fairly easy, but it 's at the 7th fret so I'm not sure how well it'll fit into the song your're working on.

http://www.chordimages.com//ramimages/i0/B7chord_N01211_7.png

If it was me, I would try 0x1202 ... see if you can get your finger to mute the 5th string, but keep the 6th open so you still have a base note. 

I cheat on the Bm.  A lot of beginner chords only use the trebles (per some of the books I have laying around... yes, there is a cheat for even the open C and open G).  When in doubt I take away the bass notes and try to just get the trebles in.  It usually does the trick until I can get the chords right.  Good luck!  I bet one of our seasoned players has an alternate fingering they use sometimes.

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Fire your pinky, then.

x2120x

Or, make the thing work until it does what you tell it.   big_smile

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

5 (edited by vxn911 2010-05-18 15:57:45)

I play it the cheating way..... 2nd fret,  finger on the A string, G string and the High E string (bottom little string)..... I DON"T BOTHER, with the finger on the first fret ( D string) at all.....the difference is so slight, no one will ever know smile  Hope this helps. I tend to cheat with lots of chords and it works fine for me...lol

Go to the Resources tab and click on large chord chart and then click on the B7 for different ways to play it.... I can't copy and paste into here sad

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, But how to dance in the rain... smile

A trick a guy showed me , that really helped and I haven't looked back since is.

Thumb on the back of the neck , roll your wrist as far around as you can and get your fingers coming down at a better angle and not so apt to muffle the adjoining strings.

Alot of songs just don't sound right unless you are using the first position chord or a barre chord at the 7th

Later, Wayne P

Whatever works for you and sounds ok is good.  I do ok with B7 except my pinky finger is slow on the bottom string, but I can play it without the pinky and it sounds fine to me.  Lots of us cheat on different chords and we get through fine.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

I don't know why but I learned B7 when I first started playing. I learned the G of course C,D E,A, and B7...Hmmm Well anyway it took me the longest and I had to really stare at my hand to make sure All the fingers fell on the right strings but I eventually got it. Don't try cheating with the chord or any chord just keep practicing it. It really is a beautiful sounding chord when you hit all the strings. And don't worry after you've been playing guitar for three years straight I guarantee you'll be able to play it. Good Luck

Forgive your enemies, but always remember their names!

I found it hard at first, (x21202) and its still one of the hardest on the fingers when I haven't played for a while. However it's a lovely chord and well worth persisting with - very nice for songs in E maj (e.g. Blue Eyes Crying in the Rain)

4th fret  xx111

11 (edited by Zurf 2010-06-08 13:13:52)

Don't play a chord.  Play a bass run starting at B and then scooting up (or down as the case may be) to the next chord's bass note.  B7 is usually used as the fifth in the key of E, so that would be a bass run from B to E, up or down. 

Or play an arpeggio one note at a time of the B7 notes. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

astro! astro! astro! mate i know you know the answer to that question, all the seasoned players know the answer to that question,
and all these neat az tips n triks need to be practiced, ergo, the key to your question is repetitive practice and that will increase
mind and muscle memory, sorry mate but thats the best tip i can give you  , good luck mate.

practice makes better, perfect practice makes perfect.