Topic: YouTube and copyright

I have just uploaded a video with my cover of the Bee Gee's song "Words" to YouTube. I was most surprised to immediately get an e-mail from them saying:

Dear RogerGuppy,

Your video, TT & Friends.wmv, may have content that is owned or licensed by Warner Chappell.

No action is required on your part; however, if you're interested in learning how this affects your video, please visit the Content ID Matches section of your account for more information.

Sincerely,
- The YouTube Team

On reading the info that YouTube provide I am apparently in danger of having the audio muted or the whole thing removed. Had I used the Bee Gee's recording I could have understood this but the recording is all my own work. If covering a known song is illegal then every live artiste is at risk of losing their livelihood unless they only perform their own original songs.

I will wait and see what happens but I find this very disconcerting.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Re: YouTube and copyright

Wow!  I received that message once before, but it was for a photo slide show I made with a pro recording of other music (off of a store bought CD) in the background.  They did put the video through, but there was some kind of additional message about them having to place advertisements on my video.  Maybe links to amazon to purchase the music or something of the sort.  Apparently you are either THAT GOOD that you sound just like the Bee Gee's or YouTube is trying to find another way to make some money.  It's sad.  From my research, artists are allowed to cover songs completely legally.  The only time it becomes an issue is if you are covering a song and getting paid for it (ie: selling your cover via download or cd)... THEN you should have a contract with the publishers and be paying them pennies for each recording you sell.  I don't think that YouTube has the legal right to step in here personally.  You're not selling music on their site, and even if you were... how do they know if you have a private contract with the publishers or not?

Keep us updated Roger, because I won't bother uploading anything else to YouTube, including originals, if they are going to make covers a pain in the tushy.  Good Luck!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

They do this all the time now, Roger. They're usually kept happy with a link in your description to the artists label, who usually have a channel on youtube. Most folk don't bother with a link though and I guess youtube have to issue these statements to cover their own backs with the copyright leeches.

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

When we post cover songs, we always emphasize the word "cover" in the title.
Credit where credit's due. Never had a problem.
toots

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

I've noticed this type of thing increasingly on Youtube. Actually, I was recently surprised and very dissapointed to see that Fretkillr (one of my favourite youtube musicians) got his channel banned because of copyright issues. I thought maybe it was because his covers were often more appreciated by the viewers than the originals themselves...

I find this really sad. Especially in the case of Fretkillr. He was covering older songs that many people today have never heard of. You would think that this would help the original artists more than hinder them. Covering another artist's songs is a great way of keeping their music alive and popularizing it IMO...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoZ52e0zCrs I found these and theres a lot more smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Yeah, I'll bet it is an automatic thing that is posted for all who do covers.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

I don't know how many of ya'll have seen the video's of Fretkillr on YouTube but his account is now suspended. Russell provided a link to his covers amd the guy is more than GOOD. It seems as though anything and everything is now under a microscope and everyone is trying to cover their hind end so they won't get sued.

Nela

That's about the size of it, NELA

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Ok, I did a little research on this guys!  Apparently Warner Chappell, a major record label, has been fighting with YouTube for a while.  Pretty much, if THEY find it then they are going to tell YouTube to take it down.  Fact of the matter is, while YOU are not making a red cent off of your cover, the record company feels that YouTube IS and therefore YouTube needs to pay them royalties.  Since YouTube isn't interested in doing that, they are simply taking covers down... deleting accounts... etc..

An Excerpt from the Wiki on Warner Music Group regarding YouTube:
"WMG was the first major media company to form a strategic relationship with YouTube, effectively embracing a business model around user-generated content. The arrangement with YouTube required that royalties be paid based on the number of views that videos featuring music from WMG artists received. However in December 2008, negotiations between the two companies broke down, and as a result, clips on YouTube featuring WMG music recordings have had their audio removed or blocked completely and replaced with a message indicating copyright infringement."

Soooo pretty much that means people doing covers too.  Warner is going nutty trying to make sure they get their fair share of the pie.  I suppose in a way I can't blame them... the fact that they made the deal with YouTube and then it all went south gives them the right to consider it "copyright infringement" and shut things down.  Will YouTube go to battle in court over this?  Why would they?  They don't really care about you or I, they just want to keep their money too!  I suppose you could put a disclaimer about "fair use" and for "educational purposes only" in your description... but I doubt that will change anything once Warner Music Group finds your video.  MAYBE you could get away with it if you were doing a tutorial on HOW to play the song and not JUST playing it.  This STINKS! sad

I don't know what this means as far as "where" you can put your covers online "legally" now.  I imagine even sites like soundclick will eventually have problems with covers as well.  And how long do you think it will take until the other major labels follow suit?  It seems that in order to legally play any cover you need to have a manager... even if you're not making any money off it.  Unless, I suppose you decided to pay for a website that you made and feature your covers on that said website and have absolutely ZERO advertising on that website so that there was NO possibility of ever making a dime to help pay for that website (and then there are no royalties to give the labels).  UGH!  Stinky stinky stink!

Thanks for the link Russell. Good to know that people are keeping his vids alive.

For the copyright issue, I hope that record labels will eventually figure out the benefits of people enjoying the music and sharing their enjoyment with others in the form of covers. I still feel that this would encourage people to buy the originals which would allow the companies to make their profit. There has to be a reasonable balance between making their music accessible and making their money. Let's hope they find it and stop all the useless litigation.

J.

Wow, record companies really are acting like scumbags lately.

Dm

"Talent instantly recognizes genius,
but mediocrity knows nothing more than itself."

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

Yeah well to add insult to injury... I did a lot of searching online today about this, and come to find out that you can't do a cover anywhere without a license to do so from the copyright holder of the song.  Well, you can in your home with your friends and family... but not in a park where the "public" can hear it for free, or online anywhere (free or paid), Yup, all those bands doing covers in bars are technically illegal (unless they have permission they've paid for).  I don't know how seriously they're going after this stuff, but it seems anything owned by that PARTICULAR company (Warner) is going to get more heat due to their fight with YouTube.  I assume the other major labels have deals with YouTube.  Eventually, I think YouTube will ban covers, but that's just my opinion.

MrJay - I don't think they'll ever come to their senses.  Maybe they'll lower the cost to get a license to play their songs, but I doubt they'll just give free reign.