Re: It is a sad, sad day.

I'm, in agreement with the tight bond III  crowd. Or a good two part epoxy and clamps. I'd stay away from Guerilla though . Ive never seen good results from it and I've rerepaired many a piece of furniture after Uncle Joe tried to fix with it. Remember, I'm not a real Doctor; I just play one on tv

I thought ; If I had one idea,
and took it from beginning to end.
I would try another.

glue it cuz that what my friend did after he droped his brand new (les paul?) epiphone the neck fell off

VEGAN MUFFINS

O wow Roger, that looks awful. I hope you can repair it. Keep us posted.

Thanks Marcalan, Stephanie and Chris,

Today I removed the last of the strings and then removed the neck to make it easier to work on. I drilled and dowelled the top of the headstock and then glued and clamped her and have left her overnight to dry. I have found, and ordered, some ferrules on the Internet that should solve the problem of the centre support for the machine heads so the final rebuild will not be until they arrive.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

OUCH! - I was on vacation last week and missed this thread. I share your pain Roger and wish you best of luck on the repair.

Jeff

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

I agree with Doug.  I had a headstock accident over a year ago that is still holding together even though i repaired it myself!.  I like Tite-bond glue and clamps. I used wax paper to keep the glue from getting all over the clamps.  After the glue is set, I'd do what Doug says,  Drill a hole through the beefy part and glue a dowel in the hole.  Cut it flush and finish it off with lacquer. Tell people its a plugged bullet hole from when you played that juke joint back in '63. smile

Now available in 5G !

Thanks Jeff and Tandm,

I did not want the dowel showing so I drilled a small pilot hole that will be hidden by the machine heads as a guide. By masking the surrounding timber and inserting the pilot drill in the hole I could mark the angle to keep the dowel drill true.

Roger

Sorry about your guitar I feel the pain. Just be careful after you get it repaired because the tension on the strings is something else. Could end up with a nasty injury. Good luck with it and please let us know your guitar came through his operation successfully.

Love nothing but that which comes to you woven in the pattern of your destiny..Marcsu Aurelius and the wild Elf....

34 (edited by flester 2010-07-31 18:06:40)

At least if it's fixed right, the string tension won't be in a direction that pulls the repair joints open.

Ok time for an update. The first job war to dowel and glue the two parts back together:

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4136/4889025702_7c5dbd21e4_z.jpg

You may be able to spot the pilot hole for the dowell but it will be hidden when the machine heads are fitted.

There was some timber missing which was going to require some filling:

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4115/4888430487_86e0802cac_z.jpg

Next came staining, sanding and numerous coats of laquer (or laca, the Portuguese spell it) with sanding between each coat. As I wanted some of the strain to be taken by the centre of the headstock I managed to find some chrome ferrules that would do the job.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4100/4888431293_316e45ee97_z.jpg

I then fitted the ferrules, remove the masking tape and oiled the fretboard.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4138/4889028390_c3b7e09953.jpg

This weekend I will rebuild and restring her and of course make love....ly music with her.

Roger

It lloks good

A noble project.  You will feel good when its strung and ready to play.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

looks like soon you will be able to say mission accomplished,looks like you have done a great job roger!!

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Looking great Roger smile  Best of luck with the rebuild!  Hope all goes smoothly! I know you'll be on pins and needles during the string up...

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

Thanks guys,

I have now rebuit her, however I have a problem with the strings catching the frets. I guess that perhaps I should not have removed the neck to facilitate the repair, even though I was very careful about replacing the shims as I removed them. It could also be due to the neck being free from tension for 4 weeks so before I make any adjustments I am going to let her stand for a couple of days with the strings tuned to E.

Pix it was always my intention to put ferrules on both sides of the headstock centre to both relieve stress on each side and for appearance too.

Roger

Looking good there my friend.  Never fear, the neck should come back pretty much to where it was to my thinking with a little time.
You unloaded it and it has most likely relaxed.  Crank it up to pitch slowly over the next few days, and see where you are when everything is in proper tune.  Twelves pull really hard on the neck and bridge so some flexing is expected.

It is a good repair done well and should give you no further grief.

Take Care;
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Here she is restrung and showing the ferrules I added as a modification to let the centre of the headstock take some of the strain. You can see the reason for the modification in the top of the picture, look at the gap that was originally around the string pins .

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4139/4898274029_8e73fd1c0b_z.jpg

24 hours after restringing and the neck has settled back somewhat. She is now playable but may need a minor adjustment if she does not settle any more. I will wait a day or two and see.

Roger

Looks great Roger, I would have never been able to tackle a project like that. Thanks for the pics.

Four or five years ago my sister left her guitar in a really stupid spot (I think it was in the laundry room behind a door or something) Someone opened the door on it and the neck snapped in half. My dad still has the guitar to this day. I've never actually seen what it looks like, but from reading all the post I think it might actually be fixable.

no audience required.

Roger, your de man, can I send you some broken stuff to fix? Just asking.

I am really glad you are getting it there,it really looks like a pro job,I am very Impressed!!

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman