Topic: Look what I've gone and done! Gulp!!

I’m sure not everyone on here are beer swigging, pot smoking, burger eating, loud mouthed,  head banging, guitar players, I’m hoping there are a few runners amongst us?

I’ve entered a half marathon a few weeks ago which would have given me 15 weeks to train, however holidays and illness have struck and I now only have 9 weeks left.  I raced bikes for 15 years and retired 2 years ago so I have a good level of base fitness but since stopping racing I’ve done little or no fitness work at all and I’m 28lb heavier.

Does anyone on here run who can offer any advice on training etc.  I’m building slowly and can manage 5 miles at 9minute a mile pace on hilly terrain so I’m hoping for a sub 2 hour run.   I plan on just building my longest run week on week up to about 10 or 11 miles before resting in the last week.

Epiphone EJ200  -  Epiphone SG400  -  Fender Strat Blacktop.
Blackstar HT 40 Club  -  Vox VT30 - Behringer ACX ultracoustic 1000

Re: Look what I've gone and done! Gulp!!

crevs.1972 wrote:

I’m sure not everyone on here are beer swigging, pot smoking, burger eating, loud mouthed,  head banging, guitar players, I’m hoping there are a few runners amongst us?

I guess I have to be lumped in with the "rest of em" because I think I could only walk/jog a few miles, there'd be no running for me.  Looks like you've got some work outs to get in there.  Perhaps I'll have a drink in your name on Saturday and play a little guitar while having a smoke (although I plan on having bbq chicken not a burger).  No doubt there's got to be a few healthy Chordians around other than yourself.  Good luck my friend!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Well I don't smoke pot.  I used to bike race too, but it's been over two decades and 100 lbs ago.  I never ran.  Well, I did join track for one season to show the doctors that I could run.  Ends up the doctors were right.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Twenty odd years ago, when I was 40, I ran a half marathon. Full of good intentions I was going to train and built up to the 13.5 miles. In reality I only did about 5 miles before the event. The day came and I set of at a steady jog and was passed by many other runners but at about three quarters of the way round I found I was passing some of those that had passed me earlier although I was struggling myself. The last mile was on a very slight incline and that was a killer. I passed the line and collapsed but was OK after a few minutes and if I remember rightly I took 2 hours 15 min.

I went home aching (lack of training showing) and decided a long hot soak in the bath would be helpful. However I found I had not got the strength to get out of the blessed thing and I had to shout my (now ex) wife to help me out. I was stiff for the next couple of days.

I was advised to eat plenty of pasta the day and night before as it is supposed to release energy to the body slowly and I also took some glugose tablets with me as I suffer slightly for hypoglycemia. I also coated my feet in Vaselene before donning my socks and trainers as I was told this would help protect them. But do not do as I did and stick to your training plan before the event.

Please let us know how you fare.

Good luck, 

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

If you ever see me running it is because somebody is shooting at me!  I am lucky to get out of the golf cart or my fishing boat, let alone run.  Good Luck, hope you fare well for all of us whose only runs these days are on my guitar; and I am not very good at that, but I keep trying.  Lots of Luck

Find a Path or Make One    This is a motto I have been following my entire life and one I am currently using with my music.
Big Jim from Ashville Ohio

I used to run when I was younger.  Never did a marathon.  Too hard on the legs and back later in life.  Now I just walk and stay busy in the yard.  I am very active otherwise.  Good luck on your big run.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Good luck on your run. Sorry I can't help you, but I'm one of those Beer swigging, burger eating, guitar playing Chordians. Maybe you would get more help from another forum, like Runners forum.com, or maybe, I blew out my knees .com.

Good luck on the run. Are you doing it in aid of a cause? Can we sponsor you? The Great Chordie Run.

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

How much I run is entirely dependent on who is chasing me.  smile

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

9 Weeks?  Do you have any long stretches of beach you can run on?  In much younger years I ran Cross-Country... usually the events were only 5-10 Km, but we ended the season doing the Palos Verdes Marathon every year.  In preparation we would mix distance training with slow-fast intervals, hills (up for 1/4 mile and jog back down to repeat), and especially to tune up for the long run, hit the beach for a few long runs.  We'd jog over to Redondo Beach (about a mile and half) and then run up to the end of the runway of LAX in El Segundo on the soft dry sand (about 11 miles) and run back on the wet sand.  Cool down with a little swimming and body surfing, and then jog back to Torrance and the showers.

Three weeks of something like that will get you in shape for sure.... or break you down so badly you'll be out.  Assuming that stamina is not the issue, which it may not be after all that bike riding even with the 2 year hiatus.  Naturally check with your doctor to make sure you are up to this.  My coach (the sadist) died of a massive heart attack fairly young despite all those years of running..... he ran every workout with his teams, and was an avid Marathoner.

Good Luck and stay hydrated!
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

The last time I did any running was in highschool I was on the track team I was a sprinter but I did run a half mile a few times I remember my time it was a  slow 2:04 compared to today I was a turttle smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"