THANKS GUYS! My husband was surprised that I didn't jump on Chordie before I left to tell everyone I was doing this. LOL! I appreciate all the comments! I am really proud of myself. If someone had asked me to just show up for this, I would have told them no. I think the fact that I had to "prove" myself the night before made this a MUST DO. Yeah... the old "you can't do that" always gets me and I become immediately determined to prove them wrong.
Pete and Tony... I'm not sure about being a star ... I don't think I'll ever be that "great", but it sure was fun... having some people around to enjoy the music that I enjoy making is really very cool!
Geo... I would LOVE to put in my signature "I officially have balls" ... LMAO!
Alas, somehow, someone will get offended by it. I told my hubby about that. He said, "Your famous now!" ... I said "no I'm not... I just have balls now." I've been giggling about that all day! Thank You!
I'm hoping that the guy who's kind of organizing this takes some time to make some "rules" for the next time. I guess there were some folks there that wanted to do a little more Redneck Karaokie and were a bit put out that my Dad and I were hogging the mics (there were some others that jumped up and sang along too). I tried to tell him... but when he gets on a roll sometimes he doesn't hear anything except for the request someone in the corner shouted out!
Alvee & Zurf... You have GOT to try it! I wish I'd have looked up a little sooner to see what was going on while I was playing on my own. It was really awesome when I stopped for a second there and found that people were singing along!
BASS VIKING - WELCOME TO CHORDIE! I haven't seen any of your other posts so here's my official welcome! The open mic you went to sounds like some serious business going on there! I was at the corner bar... it's like Cheers where everyone knows your name. LOL! We just had two microphones plugged into an amp (and one of the microphones was missing half of the top... so it was really loving all the p's and s's ha ha). CUDOS to you for getting up in front of everyone, especially in that type of setting! If you ever get YouTubed up there make sure you share the link with us!
Cam - I've sang into microphones with spotlights on me... I've sang in competitions... been judged with others... even sang at a couple weddings ... and of course lots of karaoke. My knees always knock and I always get a tickle in my belly. I thought for sure this would be the same. NOT AT ALL! I felt far more comfortable with my guitar in hand, playing and singing then I've ever felt standing there holding a mic. I'm sure that having my Dad next to me and there supporting me made a big difference and I am eternally grateful for the gift of music that he has given me. This has REALLY encouraged me to get better at my playing so that the next time I won't fumble so much with some songs that I don't really have down so great! This is a really cool stepping stone!
TOOTS... YES! That is exactly it! I feel pretty blessed to be able to have inspired my Dad and he knows very well why I started. He was SO supportive last night, and I could tell how much he appreciated just being able to talk "guitar" with me!