
3,502 2009-12-16 16:52:59
Re: Picks Around the World (412 replies, posted in Chordie's Chat Corner)
I picked a peck of picks... who's next? First to email me their snail mail address gets the package sent to them next!
Nice selection of picks. Some of these with neat grip on them that I've never seen before... and some smart hole punching going on too. I might just be able to hold onto a pick now! My 4 yr old ran over to see what I had and absolutely HAD to have the "pretty pink one with a bunny on it!!" LOL! She is now strumming away with her pretty new pick. I won't send the package out until I get back to the local guitar store. They had a really cool looking pick there that I don't see in this package and I want to include it (my husband has one, tho I doubt he'll part with it... so I'll buy a few to add to the bag!). Soooo... this will go out in the mail by MONDAY at the latest. editActually... if you're close enough (whoever wins) I'll send it out sooner if you want to take a chance at getting this by the 24th! I've added a bit already, more than I thought I had laying around here that could be useful to someone else.
Any Takers???
3,503 2009-12-16 11:55:40
Re: "One More Cup of Coffee" (5 replies, posted in Recording)
Nice job Wayne! I've been trying to play along with my own playing to be able to do a few tracks... one strumming one picking... and can't yet keep up with "myself" ... you are an inspiration! Thanks for sharing ![]()
3,504 2009-12-16 11:36:34
Re: Electric Guitar Primer? (27 replies, posted in Electric)
ha ha... well I think there may still be an old kids drum set in the basement... but my 4 yr old has a cute little steel string acoustic, and my 2 yr old has a fisher price electric look alike... ahhh... this could be fun! I'll be sure to update everyone on how things turn out on Christmas morn!!!
3,505 2009-12-16 11:34:30
Re: A Christmas gift to a lucky Chordian! Everyone Read For a Chance! (48 replies, posted in Chordie's Chat Corner)
I'd love my name in the hat too Pix! I wasn't sure at first if maybe it would be too far above my current playing level to try... but then... there's enough people in this house that it could get a lot of use! Thanks so much for the drawing and offer!
3,506 2009-12-15 17:38:21
Re: F chords (50 replies, posted in Acoustic)
LOL! I love you guys! I do have to say, my husband has been working on barre cords (and I HOPE he can play them on his new electric) and I can absolutely see how "easy" playing guitar would be if I could play them. It's a double edged sword in a way! I get that once you get them... you can do almost anything "simply" by moving around... but to get them is another story!
I don't know if I could play my cowgirl chords on horseback... but I'm POSITIVE I couldn't play barre chords! LOL!
3,507 2009-12-15 12:12:20
Re: Electric Guitar Primer? (27 replies, posted in Electric)
Also you can get a nice little pratice amp for around $100.00 a line 6 Spider 3 amp has lots of effects for a small amp with lots of distortion or a good clean sound.
Yep... he's looking at the Spider... right at about $100... I'll let him grab that when he's ready, he likes the idea of not needing the pedals and all that with this amp.
3,508 2009-12-15 11:46:38
Re: Electric Guitar Primer? (27 replies, posted in Electric)
Well... HAPPY DAYS! After he did a bunch of research too... the SX that I found for him is exactly the guitar that he ended up deciding upon... soooo... I ordered it yesterday and requested 3 day shipping (since it was only $15 more... figure make it better chances to not get delayed on the way here in Christmas season) ... AND it's already at my LOCAL delivery center this morning! OMG! They move fast, and clearly UPS is moving fast this year too! I'm very excited... and now can't wait for Christmas so he can unwrap it!!
This is the one I ordered for the hubster: http://www.rondomusic.com/hawkmnft3ts.html
While I was at it... I ordered my son the package deal that they have up on the site right now.
This is it: http://www.rondomusic.com/rstbk.html
Looks like a pretty nice guitar and it comes with their "standard" amp... so the boys will be able to play right away! I'll let hubby pick out the amp he really wants when he's ready... now... on to find some good headphones so I don't get rocked out of the house on Christmas!!
Thank you again guys for your suggestion on rondomusic ... considering that I was looking at the Squires... I think even the $115 guitar PACK that I ordered for my son includes a better quality guitar than one of those for $170 AND he gets an amp to boot! I'm sooo excited!
Next year... if they both play enough on these... they can start becoming "collectors" and get something even nicer! I can't say enough how excited about this I am. THANK YOU AGAIN everyone for your help!!
3,509 2009-12-15 11:43:38
Re: Parlor or 3/4 Size Guitars (10 replies, posted in Guitars and accessories)
When I was looking, before I purchased my Ibanez, the Little Martin and Baby Taylor were common suggestions by more than one Chordie member. So... if you can do the $300 price absolutely look at those! Thanks dfoskey for the reminder! I ended up staying under $200 with mine... but had I been able to double my money or wait a little longer for more money those would have been on the list! I know there was a Yamaha (don't remember the model etc) at the store when I purchased mine... it was about $50 more than the Ibanez I bought and was VERY similar... the Ibanez was just a tiny bit thinner front to back. I think a MAN would probably prefer the Yamaha ... my husband and son still say they feel like they'll break my guitar because of how "thin" it feels.... but it sounds very strong (with picking) and mellow (with the fingers). ABSOLUTELY still say... check them out in store. Taking that trip will make all the difference if you haven't visited and just played a bunch of guitars yet! PLUS... It's FUN!
3,510 2009-12-15 11:33:24
Re: F chords (50 replies, posted in Acoustic)
Can you play a barre cord while riding your horse Geo? LOL! Someday... but for now, a few months in, I'm happy to just play any chord. There are a LOT of songs that I like that have Bm in them however, so I know someday I will have to learn... it's just not the same transcribing them all the time... and then, that doesn't always work out well!
3,511 2009-12-15 11:30:01
Re: A Merry Christmas From Casey & the Popster (21 replies, posted in Chordie's Chat Corner)
Posted a comment on your-tube... LOL... EXCELLENT!
3,512 2009-12-14 12:07:01
Re: I would do this in a heartbeat :D (16 replies, posted in Chordie's Chat Corner)
One would have to pry my hands and legs off the seat and throw me out the door of a plane to get me to parachute... I think I'd be lucky if I was still alive when I hit the ground... if so, chances are excellent that I'd need a change of pants. OMG! First thing that comes to mind with that "toy" is ... what if he tips too far backwards with it going? LOL! I'm a mom to the end!
3,513 2009-12-14 11:50:19
Re: My son the chicken kicker:) (10 replies, posted in Chordie's Chat Corner)
That's pretty funny Pix... hey, at least he didn't just give up right! LOL! Sounds like quite a LOVELY day for the whole family.
3,514 2009-12-14 11:42:55
Re: Just a few things I'd love to see on chordie... (4 replies, posted in About Chordie)
Pix... good ideas! I ws just thinking myself how nice it would be to have a PM (personal messaging) system in the forum!! I'm glad you said it!
Polls are always fun, and a classified section sounds good too. I agree, for those less savy having links open in a new window/tab would be good. It would be helpful for the site itself, to keep people here.
3,515 2009-12-12 12:01:40
Re: Parlor or 3/4 Size Guitars (10 replies, posted in Guitars and accessories)
The Ibanez that I have is a classical (nylon string) acoustic. I don't think they have much in the electro-acoustic department in the 3/4 size. They came out with ONE nylon string 3/4 acoustic jam pack this summer... before that... they had one that was a guitar center exclusive (that's the one I have). ENJOY looking!
3,516 2009-12-12 11:58:34
Re: New to playing (28 replies, posted in Acoustic)
Welcome to Chrodie David! I've just been playing a few months, and I will tell you personally if you practice every day... for just 15 minutes... you'll be playing a bunch of songs in no time. They won't be "right" but you'll be able to hear the songs and be adding more that you are capable of. Don't give up in your first month, and before you know it you'll be wondering why you were so frustrated in the beginning! Zurf's advise is the best!
3,517 2009-12-12 11:49:08
Re: F chords (50 replies, posted in Acoustic)

The way bonner plays is the way I play it too... if you can fret the first and second strings all the better... but you can usually get away with leaving the first string open.
3,518 2009-12-11 16:53:39
Re: Messing About (11 replies, posted in Chordie's Chat Corner)
If you click on post reply instead of typing in the quick post, you have the option of previewing your post before just submitting. HAVE FUN! ![]()
3,519 2009-12-11 11:23:23
Re: Parlor or 3/4 Size Guitars (10 replies, posted in Guitars and accessories)
The best advice that you can get (and will get plenty more of) is to take that trip to the music store and try them out. Find what feels right to you and sounds good. I'm kind of a small person, and the 3/4 size fits me well... mine is also an Ibanez, which has a slightly thinner body (width wise from the front to the back) and I really liked that when I compared it to other 3/4's that were actually more expensive (plus I really enjoyed the tone from this guitar compared to the others... it's nylon strings just sound soooo mellow - and right - to me). My husband looks huge when he holds my guitar... I look comfy "in it".
As you start to search on info that describes what makes up a great acoustic you're going to soon get into tonewoods, grain, etc. Take your time and do a little research along with trying some out in different sizes and with different price tags on! GOOD LUCK!
OH... and WELCOME TO CHORDIE!
3,520 2009-12-11 11:14:07
Re: Need Some Opinions Please ! (14 replies, posted in Recording)
Just a small glitch in your plans Wayne... I'm sure once you find what works well for you this will get finished and be wonderful!
3,521 2009-12-10 12:11:32
Re: Google Maps (9 replies, posted in Chordie's Chat Corner)
Yes, we do have campfires out here... HUGE ones, they're more like bonfires! Yep, the school across the road, and then next door is the post office and town hall and across from that is the corner store and the bar. And that is ALL there is in this little town. LOL! Well... except for my little salon is built in the side room on the house (when you go up the side stairs). Nice and quiet!
Pix... enjoy this picture taken in 07 of a little snow storm we had (note, only the first 3 steps on the front porch aren't covered with it... after the plowing, the kids were actually sledding in the back yard!):
and the back door... lots of digging that year as our propane tank is on the OTHER side of that entry:
Your house is BEAUTIFUL Pix! I'm not sure if I'm ready to live close to neighbors yet or not... but still quite lovely! Actually... I think I'm sick of the old fixer upper and wouldn't mind having closer neighbors if it meant less headaches with fixing things!
The nicest thing about this house, is stained glass window toppers all the way around (above each of those big windows and the smaller windows in the bedrooms too)... sad... no one can really see them until you're inside the house. I do love my front porch too... pretend I'm in the south sitting on my "front porch pickin" with a glass of "sweet tea" ... ahhh... yes... the south just keeps on callin my name, but would they accept such a yankee as me?!
Bensonp... google bathroom? LOL! ![]()
3,522 2009-12-10 11:53:59
Re: EAD songs. (4 replies, posted in Song requests)
Leaving on a Jet Plane - John Denver
http://www.chordie.com/chord.pere/?url= … ranspose=0
Although, there's a lot of picking in the original... I think one could still play along with this. This was my first song... easy tempo... easy to strum just about any way you want (but the strum pattern is in the song too).
3,523 2009-12-09 20:52:04
Re: Google Maps (9 replies, posted in Chordie's Chat Corner)
oooohhhh... check out the image of your house on Bing (sorry Kenny, you're not on there for the bird's eye) ... no street views, but the photo quality of the bird's eye view is superior to google's image. Beautiful! Fly out over Oneida Lake near my house and soar like the gulls!
Topdown... now THAT sounds like a nice simple job! Although, it might get a little boring and lonely driving around all day long. Pretty neat gig you've got there!
3,524 2009-12-09 20:31:29
Re: Google Maps (9 replies, posted in Chordie's Chat Corner)
GOOD LORD! I just went back on there, I couldn't stop myself... I wanted to see if you could see any people walking around... and sure enough upon zooming in just a LITTLE bit more the picture changed! The big picture shows my green pickup (rest it's soul) and my husband's red work truck... but I was able to zoom in further and get A STREET VIEW! And there's my minivan in the driveway. Take a few more looks around the side of the house, and we can see my husband's red jeep... so I'm guessing this picture was taken fall of last year! Ha ha! Either I never bothered to try to zoom in further after seeing the green truck, or they just updated this. Ewww... my house looks a mess in that picture! ha ha! If you'd like to see my very OLD home that still needs lots of repair (or you just want to drool over my husband's not yet finished pole barn) check it out: 2065 State Route 49 North Bay NY. My town isn't in the system, so I think it will return a different town (cuz... um... no mail delivery here with the post office next door)... but it'll still bring you to the right place.
Interesting, the houses along the lakefront just down the road haven't been updated yet. Likewise, the beachfront houses a few miles down the road haven't... just the main roads. Yay for me living on a main road. It'd be nice to see the lake views on there!!
3,525 2009-12-09 19:56:15
Re: Your favorite vacation/holiday spot (63 replies, posted in Chordie's Chat Corner)
jerome.oneil wrote:alvee33 wrote:The Irish have much better whiskey.
Now you've gone too far. The best whiskey is from Tennessee.
- Zurf
BUT... where is the best moonshine from? I've had Kentucky moonshine, smuggled in the back seat of someone's car for a very long trip to NY ... ugh... one sip was enough to knock me over for a bit! I'm scared to say that I wonder how safe it was to actually consume!
Back on topic... Considering the 2 hour school delay today due to snow/sleet/freezing rain and 40 mph winds here in NY (and expecting another day just like it tomorrow) ... I'd take a vacation anywhere warmer ... but after Christmas and my birthday ... I need to have snow on Christmas and my b.day!