Hi Donna, and welcome to the forum.
I believe that playing a song is better than just learning chord after chord so all my students go home after their first lesson with a song to learn. OK it might only be a two chord song but it is far more interesting than repetitively playing just chords with no structure. Then you can build on that, a three chord song next and so on. I have sent you a private e-mail with a couple of two chord songs that I hope will help. Practice a little and often, several short sessions a day are more productive than one long one but most important off all, have fun.
As an aside, I recently started teaching a retired rocket scientist, probably the most educated and intelligent person I know and, after his first hour's lesson, he turned to me, with sweat on his brow and said "That has been the hardest hour of my life. It has also been the most rewarding". That made my day.
It is not always easy but with regular practice it gets easier.
Roger