Topic: Wedding Singer?

Got an unusual one to mull over for all you chordians........

I got an email to my Youtube account about a week ago from a girl asking me if I would be interested in singing at her wedding next august.

I emailed back asking for some more details and she advised me that they live in England (I live in Paisley near Glasgow in Scotland). she said that she like my videos a lot and wanted someone to play 2 half hour sets at the wedding reception.

Now, I'm hugely flattered but also naturally cynical and I'm wondering a few things. hence the post, I need some opinions

1) Why would they be on Youtube looking for wedding singers in the first place
2) Would I really be willing to travel that far to play a gig (answer: probably)
3) the nitty gritty: are they genuine?
4) Am I just a grizzled old cynic to think this may be dodgy and that I'm about to get asked for my credit card details "to confirm the booking"??

Has anyone heard of anything like this before and was it genuine? If not, what do you guys think???

Thankyouverymuch everybuddie.

All I got, is a red guitar, three chords and the truth

Re: Wedding Singer?

Just on the surface it sounds as if this is genuine.  She truely liked your style and thought it would be great if you could entertain.  Scary, yes.  Complimentary, yes.  That is what YouTube is all about.  I'm not sure what I would do in your case.  Good luck though.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

I would establish private communication and negotiate from there. Factor your price based upon the distance of travel, how much equipment you'll need to bring, and the total perfomance time. Demand a 50% non-refundable deposit and then you'll know for sure if they are indeed serious.

Give everything but up.

Be carefull... I've heard of some pretty bad bugs/viruses being passed on through youtube recently. I got a request just this morning from some guy wanting me to do a special happy birthday vid for his girlfriend. He's in Poland and somehow stumbled upon one of my pages and decided he needed me to do the vid...??? Seems fishy, I'm not even responding. With the viruses going around just be carefull what you exchange with them.. Youtube is a very popular target at the moment. If it pans out, Great and Best of luck! -Pix

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

I agree w/ Pix here - tread with caution Bud.

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Great advice, proceed with extreme caution.

That's All Non-Violence is
--- Organized Love---
        Joan Baez