Topic: Broken Headstock

I have a slight problem with my Guild 12 String! When I bought this guitar it had been repaired and the other day I knocked it over and broke the headstock in the exact same place it had been broken and repaired before. What I need to know is what is the best brand of glue is best for repairing the headstock? I don't want to use just everyday wood glue as I believe there is a certain type of glue used in the repairing of guitars.

Thanks in advance,
                                                                                                                        Charles Hollaman

A musician is someone with too much time on their hands! Thank god I'm a musician!!!

Re: Broken Headstock

Bummer!!! From what I know of wood and glue, if done properly, it should not have broken in the same spot. Here is a site I visit a lot. The people here really know there stuff.

http://www.reranch.com/reranch/viewforu … 826c856672

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

zguitar, Thanks for the info to this forum. I put it in my favorites and will sign up so I can post on there. I use to have alot of info on guitar repair but got rid of it. But I do remember reading something about special glue that was used in the construction and repairs of guitar! Thanks again for the direction to this site!

A musician is someone with too much time on their hands! Thank god I'm a musician!!!

Maybe you should take it to a professional. It`s a Guild, it is worth fixing. If it were a disposable brand, it may be worth trying yourself.

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

Zguitar is correct, if good glue was used it shouldn't have broken in the same place. I have built boats and used epoxy glue but with this you don't get a second chance and is very hard to clean up and the joint should be masked If the joint is broken, all the old glue needs to be cleaned off, or scatched back to bare wood. I have a book Guitar Repair by Irvine Stone and he says use hide or animal glue for tops and backs to facilitate future removal of these parts. Most other repair work he uses white polyvinyl resin glue sold commonly as Elmer's Glue. This glue sets quickly, dries clear and holding power is very good. This glue can also be removed using a heat lamp. No good on plastic and don't use contact glue.

6 (edited by Tenement Funster 2013-11-03 11:16:47)

Yikes ... whatta drag, Charles!

Much as I personally love a challenge like this, I think I'd also take it to a professional repair shop. A GUILD s just too good an instrument to risk a home-handyman job with. There's a polyurethane glue I've used for hardwood stair rail components (Gorilla Glue) that'll stick ice cubes together on a hot day ... but a pro will know better how to proceed. It almost seems like the joint should have a couple of small dowels (1/4" or 5/16") inserted to get a strong bond and a rigid joint.

If I had a guild it would be at the guitar shop,most are high dollar guitars so they are worth paying someone too have it done right.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

When this happened to my 70's Melody 12er:

http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4118/4809059801_6aef3a80ce_z.jpg

I repaired it with this adhesive (advertised to be stronger than the wood itself and my own tests concur) with no problems:

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/EVO-STIK-WOOD-GLUE-STRONG-ADHESIVE-STICK-RESIN-MINI-125ml-250ml-500ml-1-LITRE-/00/s/MjI1WDEwMA==/z/dTgAAOxysstSUwXA/$(KGrHqNHJCUFI8y3upbrBSUwW+yCNQ~~60_35.JPG

I also used the same to repair this badly damages Ibenez 6er:

http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4120/4893753212_23d2f15d66_z.jpg

Both guitars are fine after 3 years regular use.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"