1 (edited by Peatle Jville 2023-07-12 04:41:17)

Topic: Road Trip Songs

This song attached was a song that on many occasions back in the early 70’s that I found myself in various vehicles travelling around on long road trips singing at the top of my voice with other young people. Many of the lads of that time like me had become strangers in our local barber shops causing some to close down. It was also a song in a movie that for a while saw all these motorcyclists here in New Zealand changing their handlebars over to Ape hangers. Does anyone on here have some road trip song stories???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egMWlD3fLJ8

Re: Road Trip Songs

P
when we were kids we used to sing ``are we there yet``     

The King Of Audio Torture

On my way to gigs I'd play a variety of cds from Beatles to Yes, White Snake basically anything that rocked including my own music.

As for unmown locks, in the 60s I worked at a hauliers garage and I kept being told that all the strength would drain from my hair and I'd be bald by the time I reached 30, well I'm 72 and I've still got some, mostly round my ears and the back of my head, so the mechanics didn't know everything!     

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Phill Williams wrote:

...variety of cds from ...

CD's - you kids get all the good toys!!! I remember going to gigs with my trusty case of cassettes under my Datsun seat, a variety of Perth bands and international acts, including the Cure, Dave Warner, our own band releases. Invariably the back seat would be out so I could move that big old PA around ...

But road trips; I remember listening to Pink Floyd while driving through the fogs in outer Melbourne, as we went up and down those small hills in the area, we'd go up through the fog and then we'd go back down into it, if it wasn't so random, I would have sworn that it was all timed to be in sync with the music. A surreal experience for sure ...

Cheers

Richard     

-[ Musician, writer, guitarist, singer ]-
Bandcamp     https://richardmortimer.bandcamp.com/follow_me
Discogs          https://www.discogs.com/release/29065579
YouTube         https://www.youtube.com/@RichardMortimerMusic

5 (edited by TIGLJK 2023-07-13 12:33:58)

ahhhh - road trips  I might get carried away here........   all my apologies smile
But I guarantee you won't be disappointed by this music - but I am 100% sure there's a lot more to add-

yup I have playlists for when I go biking or for when I am driving long distances ( although my playlist usually gets bumped by my wife's and used to be always bumped and laughed at by my kids)

Some of my favs -  not in any order at all

Shook me all night long, Long Way to The Top and TNT - AC/DC
Baby You Can Drive my Car, I've Just Seen A face, Hey Jude (and pretty much any other Beatles song smile  )
Hit the Road Jack- Ray Charles
Born to be wild - Steppenwolf ( as Peatle so aptly Identified as a great one!)
500 Miles - Proclaimers
Free Bird, Sweet Home Alabama- Skynard
Me and Bobby Magee - Kris Kristopherson
Money - Pink Floyd
Bohemian Rhapsody, We are the Champions - Queen
Money For Nothing ( chicks for free ) - Men Down under
Devil Went down to Georgia - Charlie Daniels
Summertime - George Gershwin
Dust My Broom - Elmore James
Boom,Boom - John Lee Hooker
This Train is Bound for Glory - Mumford and sons
Suite Judy Ble Eyes - CSN
I Feel Good - James Brown
Hit Me with yourbest shot - Pat Benetar
Pour Some sugar on Me- Def Leopard
Sweet Child of Mine - Guns n' Roses
Turn The Page - Bob Seger
Livin' on A prayer, Shot through the Heart - Bon Jovi
Piano Man - Billy Joel
Won't get fooled again, Pinball Wizard, My Generation - The Who
Rainy Day Woman # 12 & 35 aka...(Everybody must get stoned), Shelter From the Storm, Mozambique, Tangled up in Blue, - Bob Dylan
Woodstock - CSNY - but written by Joni Mitchell
Who do you Love, Bad to the Bone, Move it on Over, One Boubon One Scotch and One beer - George Thorogood & Destroyers
Ramblin' Man - Allman Brothers
Brandy  (you're a fine girl ) - Looking glass
Brad Paisley - Celebrity
the Load out /Stay - Jackson Brown
Cant you see ( what that Woman did to me) - Marshall Tucker
Good Vibrations, Surfinf Safari,  Fun, Fun, Fun, I Get Around - Beach Boys
Beer for My Horses Toby Keith
Layla - Eric Clapton
Satisfaction, Jumpin' Jack Flash, Sympathy for the Devil,-Rolling Stones
Always on My Mind, Blue Suede Shoes, Take Me Home Country Road - John Denver
Heartbreak Hotel, Blue Sued Shoes - Elvis
It's what I like about you- Romantics
California Dreamin', Monday Monday,
Paradise by the Dashboard Light - Meatloaf
All Good People - Yes
Dreams, Go your own way, Goldust woman - Fleetwood MAc
Boardwalk - The Drifters
Rock n' Roll all Night - Kiss
Suffragette City - David Bowie
Black Magic Woman - Santana
Trucking' and Sugar Magnolia-  Grateful dead
Thing Called Love and Angel From Montgomery - Bonnie Raitt
Radar Love - Golden Earring
The Weight and The night they drove ol" Dixie down- The Band
Take it Easy - Eagle
Six Strings Down - Stevie Ray Vaughn
American Kids - Kenny Chesney
Galway Girl - Steve Earle
Going up in the Country - Canned Heat
Sea of Madness and Suite Judy Blue Eyes - CSNY
Country Roads - John Denver
Wichita lineman - Glen Campbell - (written by Jimmy Webb)
Daniel and Saturday Nights Alright for fightin' - Elton John
Born To Run, Rosalita, and Thunder Road - Springsteen
Still Haven't found what I'm Looking For - U2
On the Road Again = Willie Nelson
Jesus is Just alright  and Blackwater - Doobie Brothers
LA Woman, Roadhouse Blues, and Light my Fire - Doors
American Pie - Don MaClean
Love Shack - B52's
Aimee - Pure Prairie League
Summer of 69' - Bryan Adams
Somebody to love - Jefferson Starship
Hallelujah - Leonard Cohen
Diamonds on the Soles of her Shoes and Graceland - Paul Simon
Hit the Road Jack- Ray Charles
La Grange and Sharp dressed Man - ZZ Top
Dude Looks Like a Lady and Dream On - Aerosmith
Moondance, Natalia, and Brown Eyed Girl - Van Morrison
Boys 'round here- Blake Shelton
House of the Rising Sun - The Animals - (but actually Written by Woody Guthrie)

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

6 (edited by Peatle Jville 2023-07-14 02:48:22)

Neo when I lived in Melbourne I often wondered what it would be like to drive from there to Perth I never found the time  to do it. I should imagine the Nullarbor Plain part of the journey would have been an interesting drive if not a challenging part of a driving that distance. I travelled extensively through Victori, NSW ,Queensland, and the Northern Territory but have yet to do other states apart from a brief stopover in Addelaide while flying down from Alice on the way to Sydney. My Maree liked Perth when the ship she was on berthed at Fremantle. Apparently so I'm told Fremantle has a really good record store that sells recordings that are hard to get elsewhere.

Jim I would happily have your playlist playing while travelling. Maree likes listening to serene classical music when travelling through the country side while I want to hear all the modern stuff loud. Another song I would add to your list is the Eurythmics song Sweet Dreams with the travel lyrics in it that go like this.

Sweet dreams are made of this
Who am I to disagree?
I travel the world and the seven seas
Everybody's looking for something
Some of them want to use you
Some of them want to get used by you
Some of them want to abuse you
Some of them want to be abused

EB do you remember the Jville national anthem sung by the wild boys of Johnsonville  while travelling around NZ to various sporting and music events ????

The Johnsonville boys are

on the bus again

on the bus again

We want a wee wee now

We want a wee wee now

Piri there is a saying about being  Follicly-challenged that goes like this,  “grass doesn’t grow on a busy street”.

Peatle Jville wrote:

Neo when I lived in Melbourne I often wondered what it would be like to drive from there to Perth I never found the time  to do it. I should imagine the Nullarbor Plain part of the journey would have been an interesting drive if not a challenging part of a driving that distance. I travelled extensively through Victori, NSW ,Queensland, and the Northern Territory but have yet to do other states apart from a brief stopover in Addelaide while flying down from Alice on the way to Sydney. My Maree liked Perth when the ship she was on berthed at Fremantle. Apparently so I'm told Fremantle has a really good record store that sells recordings that are hard to get elsewhere.

Jim I would happily have your playlist playing while travelling. Maree likes listening to serene classical music when travelling through the country side while I want to hear all the modern stuff loud. Another song I would add to your list is the Eurythmics song Sweet Dreams with the travel lyrics in it that go like this.

Sweet dreams are made of this
Who am I to disagree?
I travel the world and the seven seas
Everybody's looking for something
Some of them want to use you
Some of them want to get used by you
Some of them want to abuse you
Some of them want to be abused

EB do you remember the Jville national anthem sung by the wild boys of Johnsonville  while travelling around NZ to various sporting and music events ????

The Johnsonville boys are

on the bus again

on the bus again

We want a wee wee now

We want a wee wee now

Piri there is a saying about being  Follicly-challenged that goes like this,  “grass doesn’t grow on a busy street”.

Well in that case I should have a full head of hair soon!

Jim, all the tracks you mentioned are my choice too with a few additions     

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Peatle Jville wrote:

Neo when I lived in Melbourne I often wondered what it would be like to drive from there to Perth I never found the time  to do it. I should imagine the Nullarbor Plain part of the journey would have been an interesting drive if not a challenging part of a driving that distance. I travelled extensively through Victori, NSW ,Queensland, and the Northern Territory but have yet to do other states apart from a brief stopover in Addelaide while flying down from Alice on the way to Sydney. My Maree liked Perth when the ship she was on berthed at Fremantle. Apparently so I'm told Fremantle has a really good record store that sells recordings that are hard to get

Hi Peatle,

It's a long drive, I've done it a couple of times, and it's pretty interesting the amount of bushes and trees. Apparently it's a 37 hour drive accourding to Google maps 

The record place in Freo (to the locals) is probably Mills, it's still around, we were there last Monday on a trip down to the Port City ...

Cheers

Richard     

-[ Musician, writer, guitarist, singer ]-
Bandcamp     https://richardmortimer.bandcamp.com/follow_me
Discogs          https://www.discogs.com/release/29065579
YouTube         https://www.youtube.com/@RichardMortimerMusic

As for road trip song stories, count me in! I remember this one time when my friends and I embarked on an impromptu road trip. We had an eclectic mix of tunes, and every song seemed to match the scenery perfectly. It's amazing how those songs become the soundtrack to the memories we create on the road.     

Well, I am a bit like TIGLJK, the list of road trip songs is long and very similar to your list too TIG and more.  I also loved American woman among many others. 

Mishalk good to see you joining in smile     

Laugh Lots ... Forgive Much ...  Love one another     smile
Covers and some Originals found over there    ------- >    https://soundcloud.com/ukulelejan

Welcome to chordie Mishalk.