Topic: Acoustic/Electric amps

hey guys
I know this question might have been asked before, but I'm not sure.
Does anyone know of amps that are pretty good quality for both acoustic and electric to be played thru?
I'm more concerned about acoustic quality, as that's definitely what I play most, but I'm getting an electric soon, and I don't want to buy 2 amps right now. I don't need a lot of different electric, but just normalish. I want a performance grade acoustic sound though, and I'm just wondering if anyone knows if you can even find amps like that?
thanks in advance
Mark

Re: Acoustic/Electric amps

Hi Mark, I'm surprised there hasn't been a bunch of opinions on this one yet.  So I'll get the ball rolling....  I play both A/E and my solid body electric through a Behringer 212.  For the most part I can hear no loss of acoustic response changing from one to the other.  Granted there are a pair of 12 inch speakers in there that tend to make it a bit heavy for carting around, but I've been pleased with it over the last 5 years.

We know that there are dedicated amps specifically designed for acoustic guitars, but I think that the more important part is that the "clean" channel is really clean and the frequency response and range is correct for the instrument.  I've also had good results using a keyboard amp because of the wide range of frequencies that it is able to reproduce accurately.

Your opinion may vary, so it is always best to  drag your instruments around and play them both through whatever amps are on your list.... and have someone else play as well so you can get out front and hear what the audience will be hearing.

Good Hunting! 
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

I have an ACOUSTIC MARSHALL 100W (50W sucks), and that amp is used more electric than acoustic. The sound of an electric guitar is so clean and soft, but you can with a floorboard create hard rock too.
It is not that cheap, there are other amps, but try it out in your store.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

The Marshal AS50D is a topper , and well worth trying before scrubbing it off of your list .Might depend on what type of electric guitar you.re going to play , .

Linus I'm voting against acoustic on anything but an acoustic amp.  But Doug's right if you find an electric with a CLEAN clean channel it'll be important.  I've played electric thru my Acoustasonic then out to the PA, but it's a compromise in electric tone.  Tube amp for electric, acoustic amp for acoustic, and acoustic will do better for both than electric will do for both....to my ears.

I can only repeat MARSHALL AS100W, the 50 W -----> you loose a lot of quality

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

The AS100D is very much heavier .And the quality of the 50 is very good too.

8 (edited by dino48 2011-04-18 17:31:46)

I have an older epi and a peavy decade,they both sound good with my acoustic and my electric. But I do not crank them up much the neighbors would not go for that.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

What about the Fishman...  Been reading good reviews on this one........  Fishman Loudbox Mini PRO-LBX-500 60W 1x6.5 Acoustic Combo Amp

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qI7y9ivs5Y[/url]  lol
[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEyW2SEHfzM[/url]
[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0WeJjPLqyQ[/url]
[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkcYALHslEY[/url]