Topic: Electric Ignorance

I’m a rank (smelly) acoustic novice but will be purchasing a new guitar soon. Maybe electric. Other than the obvious craftsmanship perks (tight nuts etc.) is there really any difference in sound between solid body electric guitars? If I understand correctly everything is amplified off a pickup, so in theory, the identical strings will have the same sound in every guitar, the only difference being amplification effects (and yes, I know that’s huge).

So is there a difference in sound between well-made guitars?

Re: Electric Ignorance

I too am not a knowlegable player, and I bought an electric but ended up selling it because the sound from an acoustic I find is nicer. To each his own but I would try it out first (I had not). I didnt find the electric sounded the same.

Two different worlds.!st,a good electric is easier to play.Think of a car with power steering being an electric.A car without power steering would be an acoustic.The sounds are not at all alike.All those knobs and switches are there for a reason.To give different sounds.Its good to have both.Especially on the days when you don`t feel like fooling around with plugs and cords.When I was young I only wanted to play electric.Now I do both.Good luck

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

jjj got it right,you might think apples and oranges.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Are oranges harder to play than apples or visa versa?

Just ignore me!

When the Power of Love overcomes The Love of Power the world will be a better place.

Gee deadstring,I think it depends on if they`re electric oranges or acoustic apples or vica versa

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

Many, many things go into making the tone of an electric guitar. Hollow body or solid body, woods / materials used, (and within those woods what grade of a particular wood), types of pick up and how many as well as possible configurations, strings, settings etc etc etc. Outside of the guitar, sounds and tone and tone can additionally be altered and / or affected by leads, effects and the amp you use and within those the settings used on each individual item.

Don't forget as well that when you play different guitars at the shop they won't sound the same at home, (or anywhere else), unless you're using an identical rig to that in the shop.

I haven't even scratched the surface with that. Usual stuff applies, play as many as you can before committing to buy. Good luck and enjoy.

Jerry

Live the life you love, love the life you live

What Buzzwagon said.  A Telecaster is not a Jazzmaster is not a Les Paul is not a Gretsch.  Woods, pickups, solid, semi-hollow, hollow, pickup placement, bridge style; all will affect the tone.  It helps to know what kind of music you want to play-- there are certain guitars that are pretty much synonymous with certain styles of music.  Not to say you can't play surf with a Les Paul, but it's much easier to get the 'surf tone' with a Jazzmaster, or a B.B. King blues tone with a semi-hollow.

"There's such a fine line between genius and stupidity."
                              --David St. Hubbins

To a beginners ears there won't be much of a difference between electric guitars. They will all pretty much sound the same. It will take some time for you to hear the difference in tone between a strat or tele or gibson or whatever. What kind of music do you like? We could recommend something to suit your style. To a Vetran, he can hear the difference in two guitars from the same make and model.

I think I've settled on an electric-acoustic to start, maybe straddling that fence leaves me without a forum. As for pure electric, I'm likely going to be limited to 300$ or so, and as a novice I'll drift more towards the look than the sound of the guitar. Hard to overcome that.  I'm looking at the Squire Fender line that appears to be remakes of classic models?  They look nice, are cheapish and I assume sound somewhat similar to the original models?

Rabid - An acoustic electric is not fence-straddling.  It's acoustic.  The electric part just makes it sound like a louder acoustic when you put it through an amp. 

As far as an AE in the $300 range, you have a lot of options more than Squire.  As a minimum, check out Seagull, Ibanez, Alvarez, Applause by Ovation, Epiphone by Gibson, Washburn, and/or Takemine.  There's nothing wrong with Squire by Fender, but Fender is much better known for their electric guitars than their acoustic guitars for a reason.  Their acoustics are fine and if you buy one you'll enjoy it.  But there are other lines that make better sounding guitars for roughly the same price.   Solid wood top beats laminate (plywood).  At $300, you're in a range where you can find either.  Unless you fall in love with a plywood top guitar, go for the solid wood. 

Unless you plan on needing to plug in right away, the electronics aren't a priority.  If you are planning to plug in right away, be sure to test the sound plugged in as well as the sound unplugged when you're at your favorite guitar shop.  I did this with an Ibanez and a Fender AE bass.  Unplugged, they were very, very similar sounding basses.  Plugged in and run through the same amp at the dealer, the Ibanez absolutely blew the Fender away.  So when I say that electronics aren't a priority, if you do choose to get one with electronics, then getting GOOD electronics is worthwhile. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Coming from a novice, there are some brands that just plain reek of cheap and uncool. Epiphone, Alvarez, anything in flying V, and pretty much everything Japanese or unfamiliar seems second rate. The Japanese acoustics do seem well crafted though.

Rabid, don't be so quick to move away from Japanese guitars, there's a good reason that Yamaha are the biggest selling instrument manufacturer  in the world by a factor of 10!!  Where guitars are concerned, contrary to what some people will tell you, the world doesn't begin and end at the shores of the USA! As for unfamiliar, Matt Bellamy of Muse fame plays guitars built by a tiny Devon based luthier, so don't be too quick to not give it a try if you haven't heard of it. Play as many as you can and don't worry about the name on the headstock, if it feels and sounds good to you it's a good guitar for you.

In terms of the money you have to spend Epiphone make some very good guitars, yes, they are second rate Gibsons but you haven't got Gibson money to spend and they are indeed the Gibson version of Fenders Squire!

As for the Flying V, it's not my cup of tea either but it is a classic guitar made by Gibson and is anything but second rate!

Jerry

Rabid wrote:

Coming from a novice, there are some brands that just plain reek of cheap and uncool. Epiphone, Alvarez, anything in flying V, and pretty much everything Japanese or unfamiliar seems second rate. The Japanese acoustics do seem well crafted though.

Where do you suppose those Squiers are made?  From the Squier website: "To maintain and control costs over the years, Squier instruments have been produced in several nations, including Japan, Korea, India, China, Indonesia and Mexico." 

As far as whether they are unfamiliar, you're new to guitars so of course they're unfamiliar.  First year med students probably don't know the brand names of surgical implements either.  Alvarez, Takemine, Ibanez, Epiphone, Yamaha, and many other names are well-known and respected brands. 

I'm not recommending against Squier, but I am suggesting that for $300 you have a lot of options worth considering.  With a little time spent playing on different models in that price point, you're likely to get something you like the sound of a lot better than a Squier AE.  If you try them out and still like the Squier better, then by all means get it and more power to you.  It just seems like a lot of money to spend based on Fender having done a good job of brand marketing rather than based on what feels good in your hands and sounds good to your ears. 

- Zurf

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

Music Novices have very little to go on other than branding; they can’t play worth a crap so everything sounds equally shoddy.
I also have peer recommendation (real and virtual) and Artist-preference, but those tend to be out of my price-range.

If you aren't sure, buy a Strat.   It's probably the most flexible "jack of all trades" axe you can get.  Lots of pup configurations available, and they're everywhere so you can get them cheap.   

After a while, you'll learn where your tastes lie, and you can go chase that.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

Expensive doesnt always mean good.Example,a 1967 gretsch corvette.The worst guitar I ever owned.350 in 1984.It was awful.Poorly balanced, didnt sound that gooe,just a nightmare.I wanted a gretsch so bad I bought the first one I found.Its long gone and I dont miss it

Enjoy Every Sandwich

joeyjoeyjoey wrote:

Expensive doesnt always mean good.Example,a 1967 gretsch corvette.The worst guitar I ever owned.350 in 1984.It was awful.Poorly balanced, didnt sound that gooe,just a nightmare.I wanted a gretsch so bad I bought the first one I found.Its long gone and I dont miss it

Yup.  The flip side of that:  Epiphone Dot.  $300 is the best value in guitars out there.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

I have a yamaha acoustic and a stratocaster made in mexico,they are both very good guitars. The japanese make some good guitars,yamaha,takamine etc.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

dino48 wrote:

I have a yamaha acoustic and a stratocaster made in mexico,they are both very good guitars. The japanese make some good guitars,yamaha,takamine etc.

If I wanted a motorcycle I'd buy a Harley. Ok, I doubt it's the same Yamaha company, but unless you're into music it's as ridiculous as buying a Honda or Toyota acoustic.

It’s like a novice chess-player trying to choose an opening repertoire that fits his play-style…he has no style.

It's the same company.  They made musical instruments before they made motorcycles.  Ever notice that the logo for the motorcycle has tuning forks in it? 

But I agree with you at least on the motorcycles.  While there's nothing at all wrong with Yamahas, I'd rather have a Harley too. 

I think you're on the wrong track buying something solely because of the name on it, but it's your money.  Further, as I've said above, they're decent guitars so you're unlikely to be disappointed.  I also think you're selling yourself short.  You can pluck a string and hear how a guitar sounds and whether it rings or thuds.  You can rub your hand over the neck and hold it to see how it feels.  I don't care if you've never played a guitar before, you can tell the difference between a cardboard piece of trash guitar from Wal-Mart and a top of the line Martin or Gibson.  The rest is just a matter of degrees. 

- Zurf

if i wanted a motorcycle i'd buy a yamaha....and they probably are the same company.

my advice on buying a new guitar, acoustic or electric is; if it looks nice, hold it. if it feels right, play it. if it plays right, buy it. the maker is secondary. and the country of origin is way down the list. i understand the chinese are making some nice copies...if your a newbie, you cant afford to be a snob.

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

I haven’t splurged yet...but I’m being honest with my preconceptions. I’m trying to get a few basic rhythms down and I’ve been strumming every guitar I can get my talons on. I feel a bit nervous in the humidified back rooms taking down the Martins that cost more than my car.

They are most certainly the same company, (check out the tuning fork logo), and as a motorcyclist of nearly 40 years and a trainer for the Institute of Advanced Motorcyclists who does 12000 miles a year on the bike, I most certainly wouldn't buy a Harley, living in England I need to go round corners and I prefer a motor that isn't 70 years old, a gearbox that doesn't need a lump hammer to get it through the box and brakes that work! And don't ask me if I've tried one, I love the look of them and I've tried four in trying to convince myself but as well built as they are Harley's are simply the most agricultural motorcycle I've ever ridden. I know that it's an American icon, and with due apologies to all you guys, but I'm afraid in the world of motorcycles in Europe they sell relatively few in relation to the Japanese, BMW, Ducati and Triumph!

Jerry

OK.  You might convince me to buy a Triumph. 

- Zurf