Topic: Wilson guitar

Hi all,

I'm in the market for a good travel box while my Aspen is in for major rework.  Might have found something on Craiglist for around $200.  The manufacturer is Wilson.  From what I can tell it's a UK brand, and I'd like to know if it's worth a drive to check it out.  Any feedback would be appreciated!

Re: Wilson guitar

iF YOU WANT AN GREAT SOUNDING GUITAR AS A BACK UP YOU SHOULD CHECK OUT XAVIER GUITARS FROM GUITAR FETISH.  BOUGHT ONE FOR MY SON AND ITS A GREAT SOUNDING GUITAR WAY HIGHER QUALITY THAN i IMAGINED FOR 140 BUCKS. THEY HAVE SOME HIGHER PRICED ONES AROUND 225. BUT THEY ARE GREAT!
sorry for the caps I got excited LOLOL and dont feel like rewriting.

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

I  didn't  know  the  Wilson  brand  was  still in production  .45 years  ago I  had  a  Wilson rapier  electric which  was  a  strat   type copy ,first  electric  I  had ,served  well  for  a  few  years ,cant comment  on acoustics  though  but  the  rapier was  ok  as  I  remember .

Sigma also makes some decent 3/4-sized guitars, and they're priced right. I played a $300 unit a couple of months ago, and was amazed at the sound quality & construction for the price.

I've owned a Sigma a while back and liked it a lot. I have my eye on a new one. But in the U.S. new ones are hard to come by. No one seems to carry them here in the U.S.

Joe

I don't know squat about Wilson guitars, but welcome to the Chordie forums.  I hope you like it here and choose to participate going forward.  Good luck with your decision about the guitar.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

i used to own a wilson semi acoustic, never had any probs only traded it in for a strat. still own and play a wilson bass, (with the original pick-ups) must have been made in the 70's as there are deep ruts where the previous owner had been wearing one of those huge crosses the metal guys used to wear back then, i wonder what happened to mine?

i wasn't aware they were still in business either....

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

'Preciate the feedback, all!  The Wilson seems to be gone from Craigslist, so now I'm checking out Taylor 310 CE.  Wasn't looking for an electric, but my friend is trying to convince me it's time to step up...

fretfullablues wrote:

'Preciate the feedback, all!  The Wilson seems to be gone from Craigslist, so now I'm checking out Taylor 310 CE.  Wasn't looking for an electric, but my friend is trying to convince me it's time to step up...

Taylors are really good guitars!,but you sound like you want an acoustic.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Electrics are not a step up from an acoustic.  It is simply a different style of guitar.

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

The problem with GAS is everything starts to look good!  I would prefer a straight acoustic, so I should probably ignore my friend who already owns a Martin, a Gibson, and a Hofner.  I hate him...

fretfullablues wrote:

The problem with GAS is everything starts to look good!  I would prefer a straight acoustic, so I should probably ignore my friend who already owns a Martin, a Gibson, and a Hofner.  I hate him...

We all do.

13 (edited by beamer 2013-11-06 22:08:47)

If you go acoustic electric you reall have teh best of both worlds.

You sound like your ready to drop a lot of $$ on a new guitar.  If you can get over the name brand stigma,  I think you should really give http://www.guitarfetish.com/Xaviere-Aco … c_361.html a look.  These are some pretty awesome guitars and they dont break the bank.  You could buy 3 new guitars for one Martin or Taylor.  they aslo have great electrics if you wnated just to pick one up for fun.  Russes just bought a great Les Paul style guitar from Rhondo music.   

However, if you want to spend money on that Martin, Im not saying that sucks either! LOLOL smile

check out this thread about the guitar I bought my son.

http://www.chordie.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=22211

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

I agree that hollow-body electric is the best of both worlds. There's an Ibanez AG95 at a local music store ($650) that's a thing of beauty and sounds absolutely sweet ... definitely on the G.A.S. list.

http://www.ibanez.co.jp/products/hb_pag … ies_id=107

It's a sublime sickness!

Beamer, that Xaviere cedar top looks sweet!  For under $200, I would almost pull the trigger and risk not loving it out of the box.  I've bookmarked the page.  I don't shop brands, but do like to compare my 70's era Aspen to any mid level Yamaha.  Once I get the bridge plate fixed, it might even stand up against my friend's Martin...especially after several beers.

So I ended up with the Wilson after all!  It was reposted on CL for $125 and it was definitely worth the trip.  Not as deep as my Aspen, but HOODADDY, it's loud!  Ok, everyone roll strum an e minor while I attempt my first pic post..........

http://s780.photobucket.com/user/Alfonse_Nobile/media/GuitarWA_zps16f676bc.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0#/user/Alfonse_Nobile/media/GuitarW1_zps092a0352.jpg.html?sort=3&o=2&_suid=1384312452890041286871643660217

....keeeep strummiiiing.....

http://s780.photobucket.com/user/Alfonse_Nobile/media/GuitarW1_zps092a0352.jpg.html

..left bracket img, right bracket, paste URL...left bracket, that slash under the question mark, img then right bracket...you guys still strumming?  Ok, take five if this one doesn't work...

http://i780.photobucket.com/albums/yy86/Alfonse_Nobile/GuitarW1_zps092a0352.jpg

That's better.  Here's one of the Aspen next to Mr. Wilson.  They're both 70's vintage guitars.  Can't wait to get the Aspen back with a remounted bridge and compare her depth to Wilson's out-front presence. 

http://i780.photobucket.com/albums/yy86/Alfonse_Nobile/GuitarWA_zps16f676bc.jpg

So I believe that a Happy NGD is in order.

Happy NGD!!!

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!