Topic: the importance of string guage

Ever since I got my K Yairi 12 string guitar I have not been able to put it down. It has been my "go to" guitar for nearly 2 years, now, and i have been playing it exclussively. The action is set extremely low, set-up is great and I have a good set of 9 / 42 strings on it.This week I got out my "old faithful Tak" and played a few songs with it. Thursday night I went and practiced with friends for about 2 hours getting ready for our Friday night jam session. Friday night I played thru a 3 hour set with the Tak and today my fingers are very sore. My Tak is also set-up right, very low action but I have a set of good 11 / 52 strings on it. With both guitars being set-up as they are the only difference is the string guage one would think that the 12 string would be harder to play due to having more strings but that is not the case. Anyway, today I plan on sitting in my reclyner and letting my fingers heal. I've already had my wife bring me a couple of cups of coffee so things are going well. Hopefully I can keep this up for the rest of the day.

Nela

Re: the importance of string guage

Strings do matter i love 12 strings but I play too many tunes that need too be bent,like a lot of Blues.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

People keep telling me to get bent, but I never connected that with string gauge until now.

Where are you getting your nines for the twelver? And what brand do you prefer?

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Zurf, I use 9 / 42 Earthgood Lite's. The guitar is set-up with a bone nut / saddle, ebony bridge pins and a very low action. I get plenty of volume, ringing chords / notes and, what I think and been told, a great sound. The guitar stays in standard tuning and renmains in tune even after days in it's case. Whenever I pick it up it may need a little minor tweeking and its ready to go. 

nela

5 (edited by Tenement Funster 2015-10-26 15:25:44)

Good discussion about string gauges.

I'll typically favor a 10-46 package for the electric, and am currently using the D'Addario NYXLs. They seem to hold tune better than most, when doing lots of bending and tremolo. I like to play a fair bit of Pink Floyd, and I think Gilmour has forgotten how to play a note without bending the string. Love his sound!

For the acoustic 6-string, I like the Elixir 12-56's. I'm going to try their Custom Lights next change (11-52's) just to make them a bit easier on the fingers, and less boomy. You seem to like them, NELA? There aren't as many size options for 12-string, but the 10-47 Elixirs work fine.

Zurf wrote:

People keep telling me to get bent, but I never connected that with string gauge until now.

Where are you getting your nines for the twelver? And what brand do you prefer?

Ya got too play blue's.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Eb tuning shall set you free.  I'd rather play 12s in Eb than 10s in e. For me the string tension is a lot more important than gauge. Although I guess they are closely related.

TF, I do like the 11 / 52 D'addario strings and don't feel like I loose anything on the bass side by using heavier strings. Also, just like BGD said, tuning 1/2 step down to Eb is a very good option when using heavier strings. Or even a whole step down. You will loose the string tension but by adding a capo you can bring things back to standard. And yes you can tweek your tuning AFTER you place the capo on the guitar.

nela