Topic: Humbucker in tele

i have a fender standard telecaster in this weird shade of bluish/purple and i would like to add in a humbucker pickup, but at the same time keep the neck pickup in there also. would i be able to stick a humbucker in between the neck and bridge pickups?

Re: Humbucker in tele

Don't see why not, if theres space for it. You'd have to do something with the wiring, maybe get a strat pickup selector.

As far as I understand, you own a telecaster. But concerning the pickups I have the impression that you want to add an extra pickup, between the two pickups a tele has?
This means that they, a luthier or the music store co-workers, have to make an extra hole in the guitar body to put an extra pickup, am I right? I am not a luthier, so you will get probably 2 answers: YES or NO.
It's worth asking. BOOTLEGER here, knows a lot about suvh things.
I think that it is possible, but the price you will pay for this transformation, can be high.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

That can be done if you are willing to rout out a space for it...why not install a humbucker in the neck position and then put a coil tap switch on it...if you already have a humbucker (don't know which model telly you've got) then it's just a matter of adding the switch. If it's a single coil then you can add an aftermarket single coil sized humbucker from Dimarzio or Seymour duncan (lots others too!  GFS etc.)  Then you can have both the single coil sound by switch or the humbucker... I hope this makes sense and helps...

Middleaged Redneck sorta guy who refuses to grow up...passion for music, especially Southern Rock but like bout everything cept Gangsta/Hip Hop. Collect guitars, mandolins, and love to ride Harleys.

to clarify, i have a standard tele, and i love the sound of the neck pickup, so i think i would just route out a new cavity between the bridge and neck pickup, preserving the original tele sound. this poses a new question- should i put in a strat type 5 way pickup selector, or just put on a gibson type toggle switch that essentially turns the pickup on and off.

khazm wrote:

i have a fender standard telecaster in this weird shade of bluish/purple and i would like to add in a humbucker pickup, but at the same time keep the neck pickup in there also. would i be able to stick a humbucker in between the neck and bridge pickups?

Khazm,

You can go both routes, add a humbucker in the middle of your existing neck & bridge pickups but it is to much work and cost to much. I would go with a hot rail type bridge pickup what they are is a single coil shaped humbucker pickup. Get a push/pull volume pot and keep your 3 position blade type selector switch. The pick up is made to fit in the existing bridge pickup cavaity. The push/pull pot will allow you when wired properly to the bridge pick up to split the coil or in plain english play 1/2 of your humbucker to keeping that tele type twang. When you feel the need to get heavy you play the humbucker balls out. Check out www.guitarfetish.com and look for tele pickups you'll see what I'm talking about.

Good luck.
Bootlegger.