Topic: Martin or Taylor

I am going to be puchacing a new acoustical guitar. I am going for something really nice. This is a guitar that I plan to be playing for the rest of my life. I really want to make the right choice. I was certain that it was goining to be a high end martin. Problem is I have been checking out some Taylors recently. I am a bit  comfused.  Can any one out there provide any feedback.

what a long strange trip it's been

Re: Martin or Taylor

I have never personally played a Martin but I hear they are nice.I do, however, have a Taylor and I love it.It really comes down to personal choice and what you can afford.Good Luck!!

[img]http://img167.imageshack.us/img167/8994/untitledtb8.jpg[/img]

I agree with SaintAnger, I have not played a Martin, I have played Taylors, A baby 300, 812, and the model that the 812 preceeded. I have a 23 year old Guild, but if I had the extra money I would also be a new Taylor owner.  It is personal choice you have to play them all then decide on the top 3 or five them play them again.

Good luck,

Bootlegger.

I'm partial to Martin acoustic guitars but that's because I've had a long history with them. I don't think you can go wrong with either Martin or Taylor...both are outstanding companies and make some of the very best factory guitars. Also you can't judge the entire line by one model.  You didn't mention your needs but both brands offer built in electronics...which can sometimes be a trade-off. I have a Martin GTE that sounds great both acoustically and plugged in...but doesn't have near the volume as some of the deeper bodied Martins. I also have a baby Taylor that's absolutely amazing for a small (child sized for my grandson) guitar. I think what I'm trying to say is go find several and play them them...then find the one that has the apprearance, sound, and playability that you like. My next acoustic guitar will probably be a Martin D-35...

Middleaged Redneck sorta guy who refuses to grow up...passion for music, especially Southern Rock but like bout everything cept Gangsta/Hip Hop. Collect guitars, mandolins, and love to ride Harleys.

5 (edited by jessica<3 2007-06-10 02:55:41)

i don't have a guitar of my own, I have to use my friend's, but it is a Martin.....matter of fact that's been the only kind i've used anywhere..........good luck

it takes one to know one. roll

jessica<3

Does it have to be a Martin or a Taylor? Can it be a Santa Cruz or a Lowden?  Keep your options open and play them all.

Now available in 5G !

If those are your choices, I wish I had your kind of problems.  smile

Go to a shop and play a bunch.  Buy the one you like the best.  Personally, I prefer the Taylors, but I've only played them, and never owned them.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

you shoud so get a taylor i have one a it has the beast sound and if you get one play the beatles it sounds great. From kingjosh55

Hi-

I have a Taylor and just love it, but Martins are very good too.  Either way pay attention to humidity, and get some kind of humidifier.  I live in Minnesota and
it's very dry in the Winter.  The newest thing I did this year with buying my Taylor
was to get one without any or at least very little varnish on it. HOLY TOLEDO, it resonates forever.  Oh and keep it in the case when not using it.
Sorry just relateing what the folks told me. they are expensive and no one wants a
tragic mistake.
Good luck and enjoy.
Trevor

Don't forget the garlic, crayons, and handywipes.

Don't forget to try the Gibson guitar. Lots of people only own guitar and it is a Gibson. The choice is yours alone.

I have a taylor (ok it's only a big baby) but I love it. I have had playing time on other taylors and love them. Good luck.

When you're going to invest big money you've got to try as many guitars as you can.
I love my Taylor 314ce but I also love my Yamaha APX9C.
Try before you buy and don't limit yourself to Martin or Taylor if you want a guitar for life.

Taylors and martins are definetly the leaders of the pack. I hope to own a Taylor myself one day. Before you make your purches, I would highly recomend you try playing a breedlove, That did it for me!

I think its really a personal preference thing. I was thinking the exact same thing about wanting a martin, went to the shop played a taylor and fell in love with the tone.  But either way, both good solid guitars.

Great choices both for sure.  I have a Martin (D 16 GT) and really love it for its classical folk feel and big bass.  I recently bought a Breelove after trying a number of Martin's and Taylor's; the sound was so incredible that I couldn't pass it up.  Since they are a lesser known maker, I think you get more guitar for the money.  Its an acoustic/electric and I have just fallen in love with it.  The guy who I buy guitars from tells me to consider the following things in order:

1) How does it sound?
2) How does it play/feel to YOU?
3) How does it look?

Its definitely a personal choice, but this has led me well and I am so thrilled with my purchase.  I literally play it every day.

Cheers

I have a Taylor Baby 305-M and I love it, but have yet to run into a Martin that calls to me...  With any guitar its best to ignore the name on the headstock and the price on the tag and buy a guitar that you WANT to own for the rest of your life.

I agree with jcellini, I've played Taylors, Martins and Breedloves, and personally I would choose a breedlove over those two.

Ben

It's not how well you play... It's how much effort you put into the playing

Hello everyone,  I have been away for quite a while and  have not had access to a computer but I did make my choice and I purchaced a martin (D-42). I have it with me and I play it every day. As much as I love this guitar I have come realize that its not the guitar that makes the player, but the player that makes the guitar. I have since picked up and played guitars that are not very expensive that are yet still a joy to play. My point is that you dont have to spend $5,000.00 on a martin or a taylor to own an an instument that will give you a lifetime of joy

what a long strange trip it's been

Hi Patrick, I have both a Martin and a Taylor, it really depends on what I am trying to play as to which I prefer, the Taylor sounds best for some and the Martin for others. If I had to choose between them, it would be a very tough choice but I think I would keep the Martin.
Incidently, I bought the Martin 'on-line' because it was a bit cheaper, when I got it I was so bitterly disappointed in it. It sounded rubbish. It wasn't until I had a brilliant local shop set it up for me properly that I grew to like it.

I own a 814 CE.  It is hard to beat for fingerpicking (very responsive).   Certain strumming on it sound a little tinny.   I also own a Breedlove AC25/SR PLUS.  I need to stay away from the guitar store or I would come home with one every week.   

"Guitars aren't like women, you can have as many as you want"

patrickjacques wrote:

I am going to be puchacing a new acoustical guitar. I am going for something really nice. This is a guitar that I plan to be playing for the rest of my life. I really want to make the right choice. I was certain that it was goining to be a high end martin. Problem is I have been checking out some Taylors recently. I am a bit  comfused.  Can any one out there provide any feedback.

Well I have a taylor and its lasted me about 2 years and its really nice. I think you should go with the taylor.

If you spend your money on a Taylor or a Martin, in either case you made a good choice.  It's definitely a matter of personal preference.  Both are guitars of excellence.  The prices on each line are comparable.  An $800 Taylor will be roughly equivalent to an $800 Martin in features and quality.  Frankly, you can't go wrong.

There are other lines to consider.  The only line that I would personally put up with the Martins and Taylors in the same price range is Blue Ridge.  There are many other guitars to consider on the lower end of the scale.  If you're getting a lower end Martin or Taylor (meaning under $1,000 - which is ridiculous to call that low end but both lines have guitars that greatly exceed that number), then you should also look at some other brands. 

Ibanez makes some decent guitars, but the QC seems to be off.  Some sound terrific and some sound awful - same models.  Be sure to play before you buy.  Takemine is a good guitar, but they don't seem to fit my hands very well.  I like the sound for sure, and the quality seems good.

The primary largish brands I would consider other than Taylor or Martin are Blue Ridge and Seagull.  To me, Seagull is a poor mans Taylor.  I'd SERIOUSLY consider a Seagull if I were buying in the $300 to $600 range (American dollars).  Blue Ridge isn't a poor man's anything.  They are wonderful guitars with sounds that throw back to the 1950's Country scene. 

But if your heart is set on a Martin or a Taylor, or you want to keep your options limited to make the choosing easier, then I still say you can't make a mistake with either one.  Go and buy the one you can afford that fits your hands best and has the sound you most prefer. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

TAYLOR............ thats all you need cant go wrong. superior to martins.

Again, I echo Zurf's sentifments on the "test". One man's ceiling is another man's floor. I'm a Martin biggot so I can only give my opnion. My D-41, which I've had for 25 years, just seems to sound better every year. I've experimented with different sting vendors and like the Eric Clapton acoutic strings by Martin.
As far as Taylor being superior I would say Martin has about 150 years or more in perfecting their craft. CF Martin studied under one of the finest violin and guitar markers in Germany in the 1700's, so, a Taylor has to grow some to be SUPERIOR to a Martin crafted guitar.
Just the thoughts from a player of more than 50 years. I'm a purist much like my Fender gear. Play on!

Play all the guitars you can. and get the one that feels the best.