1 (edited by gitaardocphil 2009-03-29 08:21:18)

Topic: what guitar is considered to be the best?

I am not speaking about the "holy grails" like
- Gretsch white penguin, the original one with a price tag from 150.00 - 300.000$
- Gibson Standard 1958-1959-1960 with out of league prices
- Febders Stratocasrter up to 1965.

I believe that that Gibson serie sounds fantastic, but are they really the best?
I am more a PRS fan, and a duesenberg is also great(and affordable) 

FOR ME = DUESENBERG 49er, and my dream is a semihollow.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Re: what guitar is considered to be the best?

I do not have unlimited funds, so I spent a lot of time trying out many guitars in my price range for my acoustic, electric and 12er before making my choices.

As far as I am concerned, I consider my guitars to be the best.

My guitars were bought for my enjoyment, the action is good and the tone great on all of them. I see little point in my mooning over high priced guitars that I will never own. I am content with what I have.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

I second wut RG said. Best is a "relative term. The best is what you can afford, what you enjoy playing, has the sound you want and if it's paid for - so much the better.

Nela

Let's look at it this way.  In the price range of 300.00 to 600.00, what are some of the better ones.  I am asking this because I am looking for another.  I am sure we will get a lot of opinions on this, but what do you say?

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

5 (edited by LesPaulGuy 2008-11-26 16:29:09)

I agree Roger ... it doesnt matter if you love a $1000+ Gibson Les Paul or a $100+ Fender Squier ... if you love how it plays and sounds, that's all that matters

Me personally?  I love my Gibson Les Paul ... my next dream guitar is a Gibson ESS 335 semi-hollow .. I tried an Epiphone model and it sounded good ... then the dealer said if you love that one, try this one out and I fell in love a second time!

besonp ... Schecter makes a GREAT guitar in that price range if you're into Hard Rock/Metal ... suprisingly their guitars sound very good on clean/acoustic channels ... I've owned two Schecters

"Rhythm drives the Rock-n-Roll train"

Gibson Les Paul/PRS Custom/Ovation Celebrity Koa
Line6 SpiderIII 75

1978 Hohner 306 acoustic. Laminated top. Just kidding, but I played the guitar for over 30 years. Good action, acceptable tone. Then bought a Martin HD-28 last Feb. I still have the Hohner and never will part with it. Many hours of playing on it, many memories in it.

I'm with Roger on this one. I have a Washburn acoustic/electric that I could never part with.
It's important that you feel good with whatever you play.
(of course if someone hit me in the head with a high-end Taylor,...I might wake up)  :-)

Only you can define what 'best' means for you.
Here are the stages you may pass through on the way to discovering what is best for your style:
1. You play what you have and barring any major problem, you are okay with that guitar.
2. At some point, you play someone else's really good guitar and it changes you idea about what a guitar should be.
3. You start shopping for better and better guitars and move through several in a short period.
4. You finally break down and order your 'ultimate' custom guitar with every feature known to man.
5. You play somebody's vintage guitar and it changes your idea about what a guitar should be.
6. You collect a number of old guitars, one for each job - jangle, crunch, bell-like clean tones and so on.
7. Finally, you notice that most of your collection is gathering dust because you tend to reach for that one go-to guitar that works for your individual style.

bensonp wrote:

Let's look at it this way.  In the price range of 300.00 to 600.00, what are some of the better ones.  I am asking this because I am looking for another.  I am sure we will get a lot of opinions on this, but what do you say?

In that price range . . . I think you get the most bang for your buck with the Mexican Made Strat or Tele.  There are some Epiphone LPs in that range also, but I prefer the Fender sound, and think it is a better built instrument.

I have a Mexican built tele, and I love it. My brother had a Squire...ugh! worthless! could never
keep it in tune. sitting in my basement in pieces. Whenever I get the money, I'll buy some real
parts and put it back together. For now it's better left in pieces so know one can hear it.
I'm really not a big fender fan, but I do love my tele. It has good quality parts. It's an american
standard, but was assembled in mexico. I have no idea where the Squire's were made and
what parts they use, or if they still make them like they did. The Squire I'm referring to is 'bout
15 years old, so maybe there better now.         getfiddle

A musician is someone with too much time on their hands! Thank god I'm a musician!!!

the best electric guitars are the ones that feel nice to play without an amplifier.  There's a feeling that's impossible to describe when your hands start to become one with the wood (I'm starting to sound a bit weird now but you get the idea) and it all just feels right.  I've got a Korean Squier Telecaster that I've owned for about 15 years.  i've still got it because the neck feels so very nice to play that I can't bear to get rid.  I've replaced all the electronics so it sounds far better than it should.  I have other guitars but I still keep coming back.

the best advice I ever got about guitars was that as long as you can get along with the wooden bits of a guitar, everything else (pickups, tuners etc) can be replaced.

As with so many things in life, its not about how it looks but how it feels.

I've played a Fender American Strat, a Gibson Les Paul Studio, both of which are $1000+ instruments.  I also played a $400 Ibanez, and I thought that it had the best sound and playability of the three.

"A steering wheel don't mean you can drive, a warm body don't mean I'm alive"
Switchfoot

13 (edited by washed by Him! 2008-11-28 21:59:34)

i play on a behringer(pronounced BEAR-IN-JER). i was just wondering if anyone has heard of this type of guitar.
i got it in a beginner's kit with a 15 watt amp for about $210

The world is only going to get worse!

Martin

The best guitar is whatever guitar I happen to be playing right then and there.

I own the Epiphone Dot (The ES335 knockoff) and it's a great instrument.   Archtop guitars make me all sweaty.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

I agree that "best" is a relative term... have a pretty good collection of "user" guitars...ie: good ones but not the "collectables"... One of my favorites is a Mexican Strat that I've rewired and changed the pickups in several times...a Seymour Duncan Lipstick tube pickup in the neck, Carvin AP11 single coil middle, and Seymour JBjr in bridge...a great sounding and capable guitar. Another that I really like is a Peavey Wolfgang Special with D-Tuna Floyd Rose Bridge...amazing guitar and a bargain on Ebay at times... Any of the guitars that I have are much more capable than I am...

Middleaged Redneck sorta guy who refuses to grow up...passion for music, especially Southern Rock but like bout everything cept Gangsta/Hip Hop. Collect guitars, mandolins, and love to ride Harleys.

Some of my friends own Gretsch and Gibson guitars, but they are - without exception - full of praise for my (Korean) Epiphone Strat that I bought via eBay for about 150 Euros from a guy in London.

Greetings Sharkfin,

Dude are you sure that your Epi is a "Strat"?  The reason I ask is that Epiphone made a close pattern solid guitar in the 70s that was intended to try to tap into the Fender market.  I own one of those ET275 models in sunburst and it has the body shape similar to a Strat, but uses a Gibson pattern "Wilshire" neck as opposed to the six-on-one headstock Fender uses. The Trem has an "ashtray" cover and is not anything to write home about... but the tone is exceptional for a relatively "low-dollar" axe.

But then, in keeping with the subject of this thread.....

The answer is (at least mine): 
  The one I happen to be playing on those rare occasions when the sun is warm on my face, and the music of my soul is flowing flawlessly from my fingertips.

Take Care;
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

The one you feel the best playing.

"Nobody paints by ear so why would I play guitar by sight?" hmm

I think that the best guitar for you is the one that (a) you can afford (b) Within that price range that feels and sounds good. I have had a Burns short scale jazz since 1963 and I also have a Richwood semi acoustic. O the bothe the action is as good as a Fender/Gibson etc now.

Personally I love any Firebird.

Yes indeed this is difficult. AND A GUITAR IS AS GOOD AS THE PLAYER!!!

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

I recently bought an Epiphone SG beginners kit that I really like.

Blessings

Doug_Smith wrote:

Greetings Sharkfin,

Dude are you sure that your Epi is a "Strat"?  The reason I ask is that Epiphone made a close pattern solid guitar in the 70s that was intended to try to tap into the Fender market.  I own one of those ET275 models in sunburst and it has the body shape similar to a Strat, but uses a Gibson pattern "Wilshire" neck as opposed to the six-on-one headstock Fender uses. The Trem has an "ashtray" cover and is not anything to write home about... but the tone is exceptional for a relatively "low-dollar" axe.

But then, in keeping with the subject of this thread.....

The answer is (at least mine): 
  The one I happen to be playing on those rare occasions when the sun is warm on my face, and the music of my soul is flowing flawlessly from my fingertips.

Take Care;
Doug

Hi, Doug:
Well... It seems that the neck of my Epiphone "strat" is a "Wilshire" too...

In my mind nothing is perfect all the time, but my favorite guitar cost me £22 off E-Bay, it is a 18 year old Ninja Warrior that I have compleatly rebilt to suit me and my playing style.
So find one with good wood bits and change it to suit you.
TonyBlue

man is the dream of the doliphin