Topic: Remodeling and looking for recording space ideas.

As some of you may have seen in other posts, I'm doing a "bit" of remodeling at the moment. It started off small wink Just open up one wall a little to open the floor plan between the dining and family room. Then it was expanding the doorway from the kitchen to dining to allow better flow there... Okay a few more walls could be moved and we don't use this hall closet so we can open that up as well...Oh look, Now this would be perfect for a stairway since it's already tore out and we have some room upstairs that could be tapped into. Oh man, I need to rewire all this old wiring before I cover it up with the 2nd story flooring. This old house is being run off of an old 75amp lead and buss panel so I might as well run a larger lead from the drop and upgrade to a 200amp Square D box before I add more to it. Hate to run old wire to a new panel so might as well rewire the lower section while I'm going.... That's where I stand at the moment, I should be through with the wiring this week. The stairs are done and all walls have been rebuilt and drywalled. I've been doing all this after work and on weekends and it's getting pretty old!! Been at it for almost 5 weeks now and am doing all the work myself... Well the wife is helping when she can and has proven to be an excellent gofor wink   
  I'm adding a bed, bath, and "my room" upstairs. My room is going to be 16 x 12. Just a general music room for my guits, percussion stuff, pc and recording equipment and a place for friends to come over and jam... Anyway, I'm wanting to close in a small corner of the room for just recording. I plan on soundproofing it so I can eliminate any outside noise (Ac/Heat, the Pc, and other little things that tend to creep in. So does anyone have any input on the proper size, angles, materials, etc...? I was thinking along the lines of a 5x6 or 6x6... Opinions?  -Pix

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

Re: Remodeling and looking for recording space ideas.

Hey Pix,

So you are talking about a fairly small studio room then?  I'm doing a 10X16 with a separate control booth, starting the soundproofing in the framing by using 6X header and footers, and staggering the 2X4 studs to the surfaces so that the drywall on each side don't share a common stud. Fiberglass "woven" through that and acoustic foam on the interior surfaces.  Carpet on the floor and acoustic tile above.  The tough issue is HVAC, did a lot of brainstorming with a buddy who was a contractor and has lots of experience dealing with ventilating tight spaces (like server closets).  He recommended high volume low speed ventilation for both heat and cooling.... ducting substantially oversized and additional baffles on the discharge and returns.  Mostly concerned with sound and getting heat out of the confined space.  After an hour shut up in a booth, it can resemble more of a sauna than a work space, and any electrical equipment trapped in there with you just gets too uncomfortable.

I have two concerns that I have to deal with, sound abatement for the comfort of my neighbors, and a "clean" environment for myself and clients.  A larger area for group instrumentals, and a booth for individual vocals and acoustic instruments.  I gathered up a bunch of soundboard panels (surplus cubicle walls) that I intend to convert into mobile partitions to help dampen any transient echo in the big room, and as needed can do double duty as barriers to any doors and windows.  Speaking of doors, you might as well plan on building your own, as anything pre-fabbed will not have any kind of sound deadening between the skins.

Electrically, another thing to consider is "power conditioning"  a good sized UPS should do the trick to keep the electrons flowing at a constant rate.  Protect your equipment!

Take Care;
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Thanks for all the great info Doug!

Yea I'm going small... All I want is a recording booth for acoustic guitar and vocals. I considered doing the whole room but didn't want to get into that kind of expence. This is just for me to tinker on my original recordings smile Would you recommend it being bigger for solo acoustic and vocals? Mine doesn't have to be no where near as professional as yours wink I plan to use heavey sound dampening insulation around the entire room so it should be fairly quite already and all I want is a small recording booth to keep any interior room noise out while I lay down tracks.  For the short periods of time I'll be using it, I don't think I'll even have to ventilate it but we'll see once I spend a little time in there... Should I avoid 90* angles and work all corners as two 45's?

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

Hi again Pix,

Actually a little bit of echo can be desirable, so I wouldn't sweat the 90s much.  Acoustically  you'd like a little presence in the room (why bathrooms are pretty good spaces for recording), and in my case if it gets too much i'll just move in a partition to break up the space and knock it down a little.  Your small room you will want to have pretty "dry", at least all the narrative work I've done has been in that kind of environment with background music and other tracks laid in with the video production.  Software adjusts the tones to suit the advert etc..  But the booth is tight!  heavy felt gasketing the door, quad pane window and all the equipment on the other side where noise is not a factor.  Scripting displays on a screen on the outside, so there's nothing in there except me and the microphone and a good set of muffs on a bar-stool.  After an hour or so you really want to shed layers to cool off. It gets stuffy.

I'm envisioning spending lots more than one or two hours in there, so the PC monitor and keyboard, mixer, and monitors will all have to have a space within.  All the stuff with moving parts will have to be out of the room and isolated from both recording spaces (I'm considering a hootch outside the building on the shady side).  Mobility issues keep me from wanting to take laps, but if that's not an issue, then you will likely be fanning the door fairly often and not have to pump air in or out.

Keep in touch &
Take Care;
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

I don't know,  but we're doing the same thing.  I wish you luck.  I've finally narrowed down to an 8 channel unpowered mixer with a USB output that I'll roll between my office and the stage.  The stage (such as it is) will have two powered speakers on shelves on the wall.  I'll have wall plugs made high and low so that I'll be able to run cable from the mixer to the speakers under an area rug or some such and have them not be trip hazards.  The stage will double as a seating area when not in use as a stage - so the seating will be lightweight to move out for when buddies come by to jam or my daughter wants to put on a play with her friends.

I don't know if that's any help to you, but it's all I could come up with for my space and budget. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Pix,

I have a friend that has a really nice setup, he used half of the upper level of his home. The control room is the smaller of the two rooms and if I could I would do it that way, but my little music room is gonna have to work for me . We have a guitar guild and have meetings at his place sometimes. His control room has nice big windows and is about 6x18 and his recording room is around 18x24 and he has it all sound proofed. He has recorded us jamming and it really comes out nice. The first time I played there I was amazed at when we all quit strumming at the same time the notes just kept on ringing it is really a cool setup he has.
His wife plays a upright bass and joins in and plays along with everyone it is just an awesome setup.

Later, Wayne P

Hi,
         Has anyone posted Edwin Mccains "walk with you" chords......what a great song     especially if you have a little girl