Topic: Zurf, Thank You

Hi Zurf, A while back you commented on a post about learning guitar and said that to catch on to something one would have to do it 1000 times over, Well that works, I started on barre chords and repetiveness is the key, for me anyway. After a few days of studying and repeting
the barre chords are comming along just fine. Open chords to barre chords are comming very easy to me, even that evil B. So a big thank
you from me.

take care.    Badeye   cool

one caper after another

Re: Zurf, Thank You

OK, you've inspired me badeye.  And Zurf.  I do know that lots of repetive playing is good.  I do it on some thongs, but never for barre chords, even though that is what I know I need to do.  I am going to start practicing them as of now.  Thanks guys.  I hope I can hang with it.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

3 (edited by Zurf 2010-03-15 15:42:55)

Thongs?  I think we've just witnessed a classic Freudian slip.  Wait.  Slip is another kind of underwear.  This thread is not going well.

Anyway, Badeye and bensonp, you're welcome for what little I said.  I was just trying to get across the point that "practice" doesn't mean five repetitions a day, but 100, and that you need to do that 100 (or more) per day for weeks.  And then if you haven't seen progress, it's time to knuckle down and get serious.  We often say "practice" to new guitar players, but I think that alone doesn't get across the level of commitment and intensity that is required for progress.  At least that's my experience.  But there are some folks, I suppose, who get it right away.  For me, I don't get anything without hard work. 

I am sure that on the evil B progress, you must have received some kind of blessing in addition to your hard work.  There are considerations that go beyond the mere physical related to the B chord.  There are psycho-spiritual alternate realities that must be considered when one heads down the road towards B chord mutation.  Nevertheless, I am pleased to hear that your mutation is under way.  Some day, perhaps I will join you.  Until that day, B7 and Bm are my friends.  LONG LIVE THE MUTANTS!!! 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I love thinging thongs.  What a find, Zurf.  LOL

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

thinging thongs, like a greeting card , yikes, lol, I will keep the B7 in my playing for it's a great chord. Learning barre's open up a whole new set of songs which is great.

hang in there Bensonp, they come in time

badeye   cool

one caper after another

Hi all,  Just wondering if you guys/gals have tried using this way of playing an open A and the A form barre:

open A---- x0234x (2nd fret) 2nd, 3rd, 4th fingers (4th finger can mute the 1st string)

you can slide this finger pattern up and down the neck

A form barre---- slide the open A up and place the 1st finger on the root note on the 5th string of the

chord being played.

When first learning many moons ago from a 1960's teaching book this is how it was shown. Not knowing
            any different I went this direction and works great for me. Lots of practice tho.  Also the 2-3-4
            fingers will overlap slightly to fit in the small area.   Mike

Our intuitions serve us well

Hi Mike,

If you were taught the Mel Bay way, the fingering would be more like 324.... or open A, 213.  An easier transition to D or E as the 1 stays on the "G" String.....  Darn it!  How'd we get back to that Lingerie again?!?

Have a good day All!

Take Care;
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Howdy Doug, actually if you do the Spock finger spread between the 1st and 2nd fingers while the 2nd,3rd,4th are bunched together this is how they go on the strings.x02340        Mike

And then there's the "Long A".

Long A - (2nd Fret) index finger BARRE D..G..B strings - (4TH Fret)pinkey finger E string.

Move up 2 frets and you got a "Long G". One more fret and you got a "Long B"

Who woulda thunkit?

Nela

NELA wrote:

Long A - (2nd Fret) index finger BARRE D..G..B strings - (4TH Fret)pinkey finger E string.

Who woulda thunkit?

Nela

Surely 'A' taken up two semitones becomes 'B' and up one more becomes 'C' ??????? At least it did when I went to school back in the Stone Age hmm

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

11 (edited by tubatooter1940 2010-03-16 09:05:50)

I like to play what NELA calls "long A" on the last chord of a song in A.
When I want all six strings ringing on an A chord, I press the forth string with my index finger and cover both the third and second string with my middle (bird) finger. Chubby fingers aren't always bad.
When I'm in a hurry and willing to settle for a four string A, I lay my middle finger across all three strings letting the fat part above the first knuckle deaden the little E.

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

The "A" that I like is this one :

x 0 7 9 10 9

It's the "D" (2nd) position. I like it because the "E" chord (079900) is right next to it and both chords have the open strings for a nice bass-y sound along with the fretted notes which are a bit higher in octave. You can also mute the high "E" string so that the chord form is easier.

The 2nd position is especially nice in jams when you want to play a different version of the same chord everyone else is playing. Actually all the CAGED forms are good for that...

Roger Guppy wrote:
NELA wrote:

Who woulda thunkit?

Nela

Surely 'A' taken up two semitones becomes 'B' and up one more becomes 'C' ??????? At least it did when I went to school back in the Stone Age hmm

Roger

Roger, must have been reading my confused mind smile

Later, Wayne P

x02340 Doesn't produce an A.    A major is A, C#, E

That fingering produces

x 0 2 3    4 0
   A E A# E E

If you were to play it x02234, it would produce A5, or a plain old A "power chord."  Still not a major chord, but closer that anything with the A and the A# in it.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

15 (edited by wlbaye 2010-03-16 19:38:05)

Jerome,

I think Nela was talking   x02224 barring the second fret with the index and pinkie on fourth fret.

OOps sorry Jerome, I wasn't lookin at the post you were refering to smile

Later, Wayne P

Hey guys, sorry for the confusion. I did omit the low and high E strings which one doesn't need to because they do
    belong to the A triad and I apologize for that. The way I wrote it out was in finger form on the second fret for the open
    A; 1=1st finger, 2=middle finger etc., and I believe Nela was referring to using the 1 finger(index) across the D-G-B
    strings any where on the neck and this frees up the pinky to work the 1st E string or whatever.      Mike

Well part of that confusion was mine I think.... I was referring to the finger number not string or fret.  With A played in first position, I assumed the BGD strings fretted at the second fret with fingers crossed to hit them.  Index on the G string, middle on the D string and ring on the B string.  It's that "naming" convention that I used that might have misled y'all.

Take Care;
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

As a sage once said, "Do it a hundred times and you will know it, do it a thousand times and it's yours."

"I don't have pet peeves...I have whole kennels of irritation."  --Whoopi Goldberg

Hey again,
       Yea Doug got what you were showing for fingering and sometimes use that and also Nela's long A or

versions of any other way to play it. Wow......that was just the A!? Gotta have more humor.

Bensonp........when are you gonna thing thome of them thinging thongs that theveral think is thilly?lol ,  mike

When My dad taught me to play many years back(moses was reading the blue-prints) he taught me to biuld A with jusy one finger(index) because I have "carpenters fingers"sorta thick and WAYYY to strong. I have the problem of overpowering the neck and squeezing everything sharp so "improvise" I found I can play gad ebb7 long a and some of the other stretchable chords easily and now with the new tele and droping ALL my string guages down to 9's I'm not choking the neck todeath any more and still getting good clean sharp tones and notes.never could play banjo or mandoline becayse of my meat hoohs ,but I prefer thin skinny necks over the chunkey ones.and bare chords have never been a problem,just rembering all them dadblasted names and where they are..BTW I wear a size 12 wedding ring so that should hive you all an idea of what I got to work with

Bend em tight and let er scream.