1 (edited by Rivercruzin 2015-03-15 18:07:35)

Topic: Strumming Patterns

Hello forum!!
The one thing I struggle with (and I see there are videos on here) is strumming patterns. It seems as though I strum to the words more so there may or may not be as many strums as a set strumming pattern. To me it seems I can grasp the song more doing it that way. And there are times when I can do a full pattern. Just wondered if any others do it this way? I just play for myself so not sure just how important it is. But having fun trying at 73 years old. Thanks
Rivercruzin

Re: Strumming Patterns

Hi river and welcome here,we are only a search engine so the songs come too us the way they are posted at there originan. You might try too look at them on youtube.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Howdy again RC, see you've been around awhile.  Us older folks (especially those with some formal music in the past) tend to put too much weight on timing, beat and measure.... comes from conditioning towards playing in ensemble where count is important so everyone gets there at the same time.  As a solo, you have the freedom to scribble outside the lines quite a bit, and keeping in mind that music like poetry is interpretive.  Blues, jazz, and a lot of modern music has structure that is flexible that way. Keep doing what you're doing and make it your own (to use a cliche).

Keep it loose, make it fun, and don't sweat the small stuff.

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Hello, RC ...

I'll pass along a wee tip my Dad gave me when I was a kid. He taught me to mute the strings (fret hand) and use the pick hand on the strings like the guitar was a washboard when listening to a song I wanted to learn. Over the years, I've found this a very useful way to pick up strum patterns, by just being the "rhythm section" without focusing on the chords or notes at first.

Doug_Smith wrote:

Keep doing what you're doing and make it your own (to use a cliche).

Keep it loose, make it fun, and don't sweat the small stuff.

That's always worked for me. smile

6 (edited by NELA 2015-03-16 15:43:10)

Muting the strings as TF said is good advice as well as DS's comments. Always keep a pick with you so you can pratice anywhere you can listen to the song. As you listen to a song try counting the beats per measure of the song. That'll be the strum pattern. Some basic patterns are;
3/4 timing 1 - 2 - & - 3 - repeat
4/4 timing 1 -2 - 3 -4 - repeat
                1 - & - 2 - & - 3 - & - 4 - & - repeat  ( typical blues pattern)
                1 - 2 - & - 3 - & - 4 - & - repeat   (very common pattern)

These are some useful patterns that you can start with but you are not limited to them. Play what you hear. If you know someone who you can play with or get some lessons from that would be very helpful. Playing with others and paying attention to what they are doing is a very usefull tool. Maybe the most important.
Keep practicing as you listen to a song, count the beats from the bass guitar or drums in your head and apply that to the strum pattern. Keep us informed on how you are progressing.

Nela

Thanks everyone! I have tried the washboard method and I do use it. It does help. Just seems as though I end up strumming to the words quite a bit so I might have more or less strums. One I do with a full pattern is Love Me Tender. I use the pattern 1-&-3-4 with the 2 down strum left out. (D-&-D-D). Don't know if this is correct or not but it does not sound to bad. We will get it worked out!
Rivercruzin

Listen to the drums and bass. I think of strumming as the rhythm section, lead licks as ... well lead licks I suppose, and your singing as the melody. So if you carry the melody with your voice, carry the rhythm section with you strumming. Bear in mind that your guitar's box is essentially a cajone, so don't be afraid to tap it with your finger tips while strumming.

But this really is time to remind us of Topdown's Rule Number One: If it sounds good, it is good.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Zurf's tip about following the bass & drum to lead the strum pattern is excellent. Here's a great example of a tune with a fun strum pattern, and the bass & drums are setting the pace. The song is "Afternoons & Coffeespoons" by the Crash Test Dummies:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZnT_s-n__g

Fun song to play & sing!