1

(0 replies, posted in Songwriting)

This song I wrote back in 2012  in response to a school (Sandy Hook Elementary )  shooting. Phill did a wonderful production of it.
With more recent senseless killings - I re- mixed and used a woman's voice.  Maybe it will make a difference - but I doubt it- the world has gotten even crazier.

anyway - here is a different version

https://on.soundcloud.com/bzxwNB199MCri0LdGX

Have a great weekend

Jim 

2

(4 replies, posted in Songwriting)

Well here y'all go !   
Not quite Dolly, bc no one can replace her, but
I like it ! 

https://on.soundcloud.com/ILo6upF8Ij7ZefVRjG     

3

(0 replies, posted in Songwriting)

A song I wrote a while ago -  re wrote it.

https://on.soundcloud.com/99S5Lrx9f6XEnLvPUh 

Thank you Bessie

Welcome to the forum

Jim     

https://on.soundcloud.com/HSAVXbKt8LCvi0rjgW

Cheers
Jim 

6

(0 replies, posted in Songwriting)

https://on.soundcloud.com/Tk7z8zGWg68GMUc8vK

It's always dangerous to be thinking of love from the past.

somehow it feels good and sad at the same time.

Hope you like it.

Cheers Jim 

7

(0 replies, posted in My local band and me)

I went to bed with the first line of the second verse in my head.   

Woke up a little after 4 am  and the lyrics were swimming around in my head - went down stairs and wrote this - finished it about 10 am !

thought it came out pretty good. 

https://on.soundcloud.com/aDdyJnRvukwzNeYqRI

8

(6 replies, posted in Songwriting)

Well Gents,
I could not resist !
So well written by all three, I had to make it a song !

https://on.soundcloud.com/Q7vWQXb6LCmMVgeKs1 

Cheers,
Jim     

9

(4 replies, posted in Songwriting)

https://on.soundcloud.com/O3AoSahGJcenNBp01K

Sometimes the hardest thing
is finding what we already have.

10

(1 replies, posted in Songwriting)

This is based on the book Charlie Smith's Girl.  Bear with me...... it's a wild story ! 

About 1991 (many years ago) I was in the dentist office waiting  for the call from the dental hygienist  While waiting - I picked up a Time Magazine and began skimming and reading - when all of a sudden I saw the words " Worcester NY"  and it said " book banned" .  So i started reading about this Author Helen Bevington (Smith)  who had just released another book called The World and the Bo Tree - but the most interesting part was the description of a previous book called Charlie Smith's Girl.   A large part of it was about her life in Worcester (my hometown )  and her Minister father who had an affair with a women that forced him out of the church in Pennsylvania and forced him to come to Worcester. He then had a second affair with a Worcester woman ( and that's why the book was banned in our local library! )  Her mom divorced him - and led a single mom life.  There was a door on their apartment(after moving out of the Methodist parsonage) that had a big clear window surrounding by squares of stained glass.  In the book, Helen said whenever things were bad, she would go to the door and look through the golden piece of stained glass because it helped her get through the things that were bothering her.       So fast forward -   I was teaching a local history class at my school in Worcester and one of my students asked me why I never got a hold of her.   So I called her - she was teaching at Duke University - professor emeritus!

We had many conversations. she sent me an autographed copy of the book and several follow up letters. She was so nice !!    Sadly, after a couple years of correspondence - her daughter sent me a letter saying Helen had passed.  So last week  I was going through a closet and found the book. It got me thinking about her.  So I started writing this song - and finished it today.  this is a link to what someone else wrote about the book  https://neglectedbooks.com/?p=1803      an amazing story     


This is the link to the song. https://on.soundcloud.com/GZZSOyz6MHxYm7F8e3    hope you like it. smile

11

(1 replies, posted in My local band and me)

Song about a lost love and a hopeful heart

https://on.soundcloud.com/e6GIiAxzl5ntNLWbMh 

12

(3 replies, posted in Songwriting)

https://on.soundcloud.com/7crhGGIM3p4t10f1ow

I took a few of Brian's poems and collated them into verses.  I wrote a chorus and came up with this song.

Brian I hope you don't mind that I did this without asking !
Your poems are brilliant and I was hoping to add a little magic to them by putting them together.
adding Engelbert just topped it off !






Cheers every one - please enjoy Brian's fantastic work again !

Jim

I bet you have had times when your wife asked " are you even listening to me ? "     

Jaites

go to settings in your song book and select sort by song title
that should help mix it up     

Parody country song with some humor

https://on.soundcloud.com/twp6b1auiJRaGs4tAO


Country with an Ed Sheeran style vibe smile

16

(3 replies, posted in Songwriting)

I changed a few lyrics and the way it sounded.     

17

(6 replies, posted in Chordie's Chat Corner)

Pete,

Pete,
I believe you are correct - it is what makes songs unique for sure,  It's why live bands are so cool !
However, recording artists strive for perfection in studio. It's why studio instrumentalists are paid so well.
Once I heard a studio taping by Elvis Presley - they were on the 43rd attempt of the day .
In today's world, they don't even have to be in the same room, same studio, same time of day, or even the same country to use technology to achieve what they deem "perfection".
I totally get what you are saying. It's like eating a great meal, but after you have for 4 0r 5 days in a row- you really would like something else for a change !
Cheers,
Jim     

18

(3 replies, posted in Songwriting)

https://on.soundcloud.com/JIkD0t7MtEIk6YpNOZ

I wrote this song about the main outlaws of Country music.
They changed the music industry ( not just country).
The idea for the song came from when I was thinking of a friend of mine
who used to sing a little jingle when he rode with me if we were going out to the bars.
(" can't get to heaven in Kenyon's car, because the damn thing stops at every bar"  smile  )
Hope you like it.

Graham thanks but I don't see anything there that lets you do anything     

https://on.soundcloud.com/VqeTcuTryR9yHLjPnh

This week I was sitting on the Topsail Island beach and I wrote this song after hearing the two deejays on Outlaw Country (Sirius XM) a couple weeks ago .... one of them said he bought his wife a nice present... The other guy goes well that ain't happening here, because my my wife has has "Champagne taste and I’m on a tap-water budget " every one laughed . I said that's gotta be a song.
So here is what I came up with

Cheers
Jim 

https://on.soundcloud.com/VqeTcuTryR9yHLjPnh

This week I was sitting on the Topsail Island beach and I wrote this song after hearing the two deejays on Outlaw Country (Sirius XM) a couple weeks ago .... one of them said he bought his wife a nice present... The other guy goes well that ain't happening here, because my my wife has has "Champagne taste and I’m on a tap-water budget " every one laughed . I said that's gotta be a song.
So here is what I came up with

Cheers
Jim 

22

(10 replies, posted in Chordie's Chat Corner)

I am heading there tonight Bill!  Going to Topsail Island NC
Hoping for a great beach breeze to keep us cool.

Cheers Jim     

I really don't know why I wrote this at my age but it just happened......
I had the phrase " ain't that the truth" written down on scratch pad of paper, and then it got in my head




https://on.soundcloud.com/byUgX9Cmdf19bT9W2R

Took forever - but I think it came out pretty well
let me know your thoughts.
https://youtu.be/47t_be8NJBE 
Cheers,
Jim 

25

(4 replies, posted in Songwriting)

I liked the guitar picking style Brian
interesting lyrics
Thanks for sharing

Jim