Topic: Chips.

info; chips are potatoes peeled and sliced then deep fried. those skinny horrible things that you get in Mcdonalds are french fries. what our colonial friends call chips are actually crisps.

Chips.

I fancied chips for dinner.
With bacon, eggs and beans.
Two thick slices of bread and butter.
I felt like a king, the wife was queen.
A cup of tea? Two sugars please.
A drop of milk and stir them round.
Those chips were nigh on perfect.
Not too pale and not too brown.
Lots of salt and vinegar.
A blob of tomato sauce.
The posh lot call it ketchup.
But I'm not posh at all.

My mam made lovelly chips each day.
She'd put them on my plate.
She'd slice my bread with butter thick.
A piece of cheese as well.
She'd always pinch a chip or two.
Mine always tasted best.
Just in case she wanted more.
I'd scoff down all the rest.

I like my chips with gravy.
A piece of battered cod.
People say “ that's disgusting”.
You ain't tried it, so you can't judge.
Chips with a drop of curry sauce.
Or a steak, cooked as you like.
Chips and tinned spaghetti.
Grated cheese, with a fork, no need for knives.

I like chips with just everything.
No, not with fruit or greens.
Any food not healthy.
It's never done harm to me.

I don't eat chips on Sunday.
For reasons non religious.
Sunday is for roast potatoes.
Chicken, beef and Yorkshire pud.
The wife shouts “ what do you want for supper love?”
Cornflakes of course.... 

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Re: Chips.

Phill

I think this is terrific ... love the cornflakes ending !! smile
Jim     

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

3 (edited by Peatle Jville 2018-11-15 05:50:38)

Phill I love the good old spud, boiled then mashed with butter then sprinkled with  Worcestershire sauce. Another favourite, roasted spud  or potatoe cut into chips and fried.  I love the way British people call Fish and Chip shops the Chippy. Here in Kiwi Land we call carpenters chippy's. We also call crisps Chippys. Excellent poem before I read it I wasn't hungry now I have a craving for a Chip Butty.

Thats very clever Phill.
As a side note i saw in the news the other day a fish & chip shop called the `Battered Wife`
It`s been in existence for 28 yrs,but of course you can`t have humour anymore.
I don`t fancy their chances of keeping the name.     

The King Of Audio Torture

Very cool poem,. I like it. We needed some fun ones to make up for all my emotional darkness big_smile     

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

TIGLJK wrote:

Phill

I think this is terrific ... love the cornflakes ending !! smile
Jim

Thanks Jim. I was stuck for an ending, but I do love nice fresh cornflakes with ice cold milk     

Peatle Jville wrote:

Phill I love the good old spud, boiled then mashed with butter then sprinkled with  Worcestershire sauce. Another favourite, roasted spud  or potatoe cut into chips and fried.  I love the way British people call Fish and Chip shops the Chippy. Here in Kiwi Land we call carpenters chippy's. We also call crisps Chippys. Excellent poem before I read it I wasn't hungry now I have a craving for a Chip Butty.

We have what we call Sunday dinner, any day of the week really, my job is to peel and chop the veggies and spuds, then mash the potatoes add butter and milk, never thought of adding Worcester sauce! We used to call it Wooster sauce, don't know why they changed it?
We also call carpenters chippies which is the name I've heard Americans use for ladies of horizontal refreshment!!! Go figure?     

easybeat wrote:

Thats very clever Phill.
As a side note i saw in the news the other day a fish & chip shop called the `Battered Wife`
It`s been in existence for 28 yrs,but of course you can`t have humour anymore.
I don`t fancy their chances of keeping the name.

Battered wife...I love the name not the suggestion! We had one called "the friar Tuck" till a girlfriend told me to switch the first letters...oh dear...the PC brigade would have a field day!     

beamer wrote:

Very cool poem,. I like it. We needed some fun ones to make up for all my emotional darkness big_smile

Thanks Beamer. Keep looking forward, there's a light at the end of the tunnel I'm sure.     

So fun, Phill ... thanks! My wife's from England (Cromer, on the east coast north of Norwich) and we've been having the Chips VS Crisps debate for 40 years now. big_smile On the side (pun intended) the whole song looks like the perfect diet to keep a person's cholesterol levels at maximum ... thick as molasses.     

Thanks TF.
They've come up with an awful innovation called OVEN CHIPS!!!! Yuck. Less fat? Less taste more like. As your fine lady is from the north east I bet she makes a good chip? People from up there like to say the north east is the home of fish and chips and mushy peas.... that's an argument for another day lol     

haha love it ................. gonna record it?     

Laugh Lots ... Forgive Much ...  Love one another     smile
Covers and some Originals found over there    ------- >    https://soundcloud.com/ukulelejan

Thanks Jan, probably not. I wrote it as a jokey poem thingy. I bet Easybeat would make a good job of it though? Or maybe Peatle???     

Ok,  I just thought with your accent,  reading it the poem through would have been great smile     

Covers and some Originals found over there    ------- >    https://soundcloud.com/ukulelejan

Ok,  I just thought with your accent,  reading it the poem through would have been great smile     

Speaking it hadn't occurred to me, I'll try it and if it works out I'll post it. Thanks Jan.     

Phill Williams wrote:

Thanks TF.
They've come up with an awful innovation called OVEN CHIPS!!!! Yuck. Less fat? Less taste more like. As your fine lady is from the north east I bet she makes a good chip? People from up there like to say the north east is the home of fish and chips and mushy peas.... that's an argument for another day lol

Hahaha ... you're 100% accurate about her love for Fish & Chips. When served on a paper plate, the grease should soak through to the table, or they're not made right ... in her opinion. big_smile I just thought of another North American nomenclature quirk: we order "fish & chips" knowing what we're getting, but then refer to the "chips" as French fries! I don't get it ...     

18 (edited by Strummerboy Bill 2018-12-03 19:17:11)

You left off the part about having "to have them all pulled out after the Savoy Truffle", Phill

Bill     

Here's a little tune from the Colonies, Phill to cheer us up a little. It's okay to smile and shed a "happiness tear". I did.

Love you my brothers and sisters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TV_ypjxEB8

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

very funny Bill and what talented musicians. i have to mention the triple neck slide guitar...so there i did.

the skinny "chips" are called french fries in the UK, as served at macdonalds and kfc etc...you go in hungry and come out...hungry!