Topic: Question about child's guitar

Hi All.

My 7-year old nephew has a Valencia CG-160 1/4 guitar.  Interestingly enough, it has 3 steel strings and 3 nylon strings. After a bit of research, I have found out that the guitar should have nylon strings entirely (PLUS, I don't think he's ready for the pain we adults go through when learning on steel strings).

I would like to change his strings and tune it properly so he can get started with it.

My questions:

1- what strings should I get?
2- how do I put the strings on? (as the tuners are open, and I have never done this before)... any website video would be greatly appreciated.
3- And finally, the tuning.  I'm not sure, but I believe that smaller guitars are not tuned the same way as a full size... any help here would also be appreciated.

Thanks to everyone. He is anxious to get started (but not as anxious as I am to play with him!!!) big_smile

anastasia

2 (edited by Radchael1975 2008-09-24 19:09:22)

Re: Question about child's guitar

Hi.. If you're not sure, i'd take it along to a shop & have them put the correct strings on for you. They'll know which ones, & also do them properly! No offence meant there. I totally screwed up the 1st time i changed my strings. So if you go along, & have them show you how to do it, you'll know for next time. smile

Rachael X

The time to be happy, is NOW !

Freshman acoustic, IbanezGAX70, MarshallMG15cd, Digitech:RP100

General comment:  I am unaware of any guitars that use all nylong strings.  What I'm used to seeing when someone says "nylon string" is that the bass string (E, A, D) are bronze and the treble strings (G, B, high E) are nylon.  Standard Classical guitar setup.  I would go with that.  The larger bronze strings (or steel) shouldn't cause much finger strain as they're pretty large.  That said, I am not an encyclopedia of knowledge about guitars and you may be completely correct about all six strings supposed to be nylon.  Just seems a little "Red Rider Guitar Free With Six Box Tops" to me. 

1. I would recommend D'Addorio Classical strings. 

2. I'm sure someone has a website video handy.  I had a guy at my local shop show me how to put them on back when I took up guitar the first time.    Bought a book and two sets of strings and had my guitar along.  He was happy to help (it wasn't busy in the store at the time). 

3. Same way.  From largest string to smallest: Low E, A, D, G, B, high E.  Lowest string goes on the bottom.  Hold the neck in your left hand with the guitar body on your lap, and the lowest strings will be on the upper side of the guitar.  If you have the guitar in front of you and you are looking at the sound hole with the neck facing away, the larger strings will be on the left.  The strings are labeled or marked.  Easiest to tune with an electronic tuner.  They're about the cost of two sets of decent strings, so a very small investment that makes life invaluably easier when you start. 

Good luck!  My daughter has a 1/2 size "folk" guitar that uses nylon strings (half of which are steel) and loves banging on it.  I keep it in tune for her so her banging on it is at least in tune.  She's beginning to show interest in actually plucking particular strings on purpose.  It will be very cool to get past this "Music Man" stage. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Zurf: you're right! Upon FURTHER research, all nylon means exactly what you said. (Thanks!)

Radchael1975: No offense taken! smile I understand...

I'm pretty sure that on a nylon strung guitar . . . The bottom strings (E A D) are usually nylon-strands wrapped in bronze . . . vs steel wrapped in bronze.

7 (edited by Stonebridge 2008-09-25 07:32:58)

That's correct, Royce. A classical has all nylon but the lower 3 strings are bronze "coated".
The tension in nylon strings is much lower than steel because nylon, being lighter, doesn't need to be under high tension. If you actually had 3 steel strings on the classical you would be able to feel how tight they were compared to the other 3. It would be quite noticeable.
It's worth noting that it is unwise to put steel strings on a classical because of the higher tension they require. The body of a classical is (usually) not designed to take this.
Also, some 3/4 guitars are tuned higher than full size. I have played one (Breedlove C20T) actually, technically speaking, a travel guitar, that is tuned a 5th higher than normal.
Hope this helps.
Chris

I bought my 3 year old his first acoustic guitar for his birthday. He likes to bang on it as well. I knowmhe is a lot younger than your 7 year old but I also have two 9 year olds who bang on it as well as my 7 year old. I have found it more enjoyable for them from a fun stand point and also from the stand point of keeping them interested in it to tune it to an open tuning, which means they can hold down all the strings on a fret and it plays a chord all the way up the neck. Right away they are playing songs and learning rhythm straight out the box, among other things. Just a thought that I found cool.

"I want my 2 Dollars!!!!!"

stretch: I do hope that when my nephew's guitar is all set up properly, that he does enjoy it. Right now, he's excited about learning because his teacher at school has a guitar, not to mention his oh-so-cool auntie has one too. big_smile I hope to show him some easy chords, and possibly interest him in a song that has 2-3 chords... and see if it keeps his interest.

Any suggestions for songs, anyone?

anastasia

I like that open tuning suggestion Stretch Papa.  I think I'll do that on my daughter's guitar and see whether she likes it. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

The tuning on a smaller guitar should be no different than that of a standard size guitar.

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?