When I saw that title I laughed, I thought Pedr has written a dirty poem? Then I thought, no it's about cars and road trips. Then I realised it's a double entendre? I'm saying no more, but I remember those days too...ooooh distant memories
27 2026-07-31 20:45:08
Re: Don't Need AI (46 replies, posted in My local band and me)
Who can remember who rules the roost?
Does anyone care at the idle minds boost.
If you kick up a fuss
You get kicked off the bus
The boss runs the schedule
In a world of rockets, you're just a mule
You're just a nanobot performing your role
When the update arrives you'll be thrown in the hole.
The update is faster, smarter and can perform ten things per second
We can't live without it, we won't live with it
It will create a new and better you
Clad in metal with eyes that shoot lasers...
Oops I think I've gone too far
28 2026-07-29 19:52:29
Re: Living Memories (5 replies, posted in Poems)
Thanks Brian and Jim. Childhood memories are the best (even if they weren't)
29 2026-07-28 21:01:24
Re: Living Memories (5 replies, posted in Poems)
Thanks Pedr. It was written from a Welsh/UK perspective and all lines are from my memory and happened. Some of the terms I used translated;
TANNER= six pense.
KNOCK ON KNOCKER= at night time knock on a door and run and hide, funnier at the time I suppose.
BOB A JOB= an old boy scouts thing for collecting money for charity. a bob is a shilling.
SMELTING= there was a factory in Llanelli that received pig iron from other steel works and re-melted, smelted, to form more manageable ingots. This was done in the Llanelli steel works also known as the KK works (Klondike)
DING = a signal on the double decker busses, one for stop, two for go
back in the 1950s cars were few and far between so playing on the roads was fairly safe, not so much house windows
30 2026-07-28 10:28:04
Re: Don't Need AI (46 replies, posted in My local band and me)
Don't despair Mojo, there's no money in writing songs these days anyway, do it, like me, for them enjoyment of it and the kudos of your friends, family and drunks!
31 2026-07-27 19:04:35
Topic: Living Memories (5 replies, posted in Poems)
Living Memories
by Phill Williams July 2026.
As the years leave their marks on my ageing bones.
I recall and yearn for the days of yore.
When I could run through fields and swim in streams.
Build dens in rushes and play in dunes.
Another day climb giant trees.
Hide on branches, obscured by leaves.
Innocence, mischief, knock on knocker.
Running errands; “bob a job, sir?”
Hot summer days with road tar melting.
Industry sounds; the noise of smelting.
Bus bell “ding” once for stop, twice for go.
Saturday morning, matinee show.
Cheap Jack stall in the bustling market.
“Everything a tanner”, I never had it.
The world was as bad then as it is now.
Did my mates and me worry? Did any ten year old?
School was annoying. Those cars in the way.
Coming or going “ but we're playing a game.”
Summers were hot; down the beach in the sea.
Winters were cold; snow, rivers freeze.
One phone in the village in a box on the corner.
Trade it you ask, no chance, your honour.
That mobile is handy and saved many lives.
And satellites fly high above those high flying clouds.
As long as my mind remembers and I breathe.
May those memories live, who'll remember me?
32 2026-07-27 18:41:52
Re: What Features Would You Like to See Added to Chordie? (3 replies, posted in About Chordie)
youcinez. most of what you mention is already available on Chordie.
33 2026-07-27 18:39:54
Re: Don't Need AI (46 replies, posted in My local band and me)
darstrondos, yep you're right after all normal people (and some very abnormal people) have been writing music for hundreds of years. Of course in days gone by you had to have some talent musically, Elton John or in the case of songs vocal composition eg Bernie Taupin and many others. when I first took up the guitar I couldn't afford lessons but I could afford a book; "play in a day" so I taught myself to play with just a rudimentary musical knowledge from school. When I write a song I record all the instruments live, drums, keyboards, guitar and bass all self taught, I'm no musical genius I just enjoy doing it. what aggravates me about today's music is that, like Wham they had backing musicians who were never mentioned. Some of the artists you mentioned Pedr, don't write or even perform on their records, the voices you hear like a heavenly choir are just one voice multiplied lots of times and harmonized to within an inch of their lives. Even though the AI concerned were operated by humans and all the voices and instruments were sampled from humans it's still not human music, it's a robot. End of rant
34 2026-07-25 10:06:03
Re: Transposing About 12 Chord Changes (1 replies, posted in Chordie's Chat Corner)
Hi Bill, yes every day it seems. When I was playing with a group 40 years ago, I found a song I wanted to play namely "One Man Band" which I worked out from the record and practised in that key with the group in my front room. When we got to play it in concert, in battlefield conditions as I call it, I couldn't hit the key with any force so we didn't play it again. When I went solo a few years later I changed the key, hammered it out in my front room, full volume, and the song became a staple in my set. Lesson learnt, new songs had to be key checked at full volume and changed if necessary. About fancy chords I don't really fuss with them unless the song really calls for them so I stick to 6ths, 7ths and 9ths if I have to. Does that make me lazy?
35 2026-07-24 09:47:52
Re: The Heartbeat Of Art (3 replies, posted in Poems)
That's really beautiful Pedr. It flows sweetly like the river as you mention in your poem. "Yet shadows loom where egos play" how did you come up with such a simple yet telling line? It tells how this world can be cruel yet beautiful, bitter and sweet. You are so deserving of your title Loremaster, I bow to your brilliance.
36 2026-07-11 19:40:34
Re: car trouble (3 replies, posted in Songwriting)
Rock and roll Mojo, loved it. The words are so clever you must be chuft (delighted) with your work. You can always tell when I like a song cos I'm playing the bass and drums in my mind as I'm listening.
37 2026-07-02 19:34:57
Re: Mother Trucker (3 replies, posted in Songwriting)
Sailing close to the wind there TIGLJK! Live female singe or AI? Sounds great
38 2026-07-02 19:29:39
Re: is ai real music? (8 replies, posted in Chordie's Chat Corner)
Oh yes, Peatle in toppermost of the poppermost form.
When I bought my first PC I asked lots of questions and the techy said "try everything you can't offend a computer"...I'll say no more
39 2026-07-01 09:53:03
Re: is ai real music? (8 replies, posted in Chordie's Chat Corner)
Live music was taking a downward trend from the time, I think the 70s, when venues were getting rid of their house bands, mainly organ and drums, and acts were using paid for backing tracks. Next step from that was producers using drum machines so there was a steady rhythm and no explosions of the drummer saying " I'm here". Then came digital technology and samples, where first casualty was the bassist. Then a vocalist would lay a track and voilà a flip of a key and a whole chorus of their voice including harmonies came through the speakers. So I suppose as technology advanced the next step had to be to cut out the middle man, sample a shedful of vocal talent and get the computer to compose the music and add the voices.
I suppose AI is a force for good as well as evil but can a computer stand before a live audience recreating it's greatest hits, could we ever see AI_mania ( a play on Beatlemania ) ? Would we want to?
40 2026-06-30 10:37:56
Re: New amp day (5 replies, posted in Guitars and accessories)
Grah, some idiot has reported your post from 2022 because it's come out as computer code but they dug back 4 years to find it! Spammers?
41 2026-06-30 10:34:15
Re: what song is this? (4 replies, posted in Song requests)
Thanks for that info and the words. I think they call it an ear worm when you remember a tune or song but only bits and it just won't go away. This song is so clever even as a novelty song and there were lots of those in the 50s and 60s. I thought it was earlier than 1960, I know I was still a kid 10years old in 1960 so still technically a kid, I still am in many ways...Peter Pan? Not quite.
42 2026-06-29 18:42:18
Topic: what song is this? (4 replies, posted in Song requests)
I remember hearing this song way back in the 50's, I can recall a few lines and that it mentions some or all of Americas states. I think the first line goes; "what did Delaware boy, also Why did California, yes it's all a play on words as in what did Della wear and why did Cali phone ya?
I don't need it for anything, I'm just curious. Thanks
43 2026-06-23 10:19:20
Re: Relay for life York 2026 (6 replies, posted in My local band and me)
That's just greed, managers? I used to find that one charity gig led to several paid gigs not that that was why I did them!
44 2026-06-22 17:39:51
Re: Relay for life York 2026 (6 replies, posted in My local band and me)
nicely done Graham. I used to love charity shows, for some reason the organizers would want to pay me which I'd turn down unless I had to travel a long way then I'd say OK give me a tenner for petrol. I'd often get the reply that everyone else wanted full payment, you cant do that for a good cause. So well done you.
45 2026-06-04 09:34:55
Re: Booked Tin Cuddle Band (9 replies, posted in Poems)
Ta Pedr, we Welsh have a few too, although Cymro (Welsh folk) isn't strictly slang! Up the valleys if you called someone "right beaut?" It would be a complement, her in Llanelli: " you're a right beaut" might get you punched.
Some of your slang I've heard before and a couple I can guess at, but that's the best I can do, I'm guessing "shaky isles" refers to the fact you are quite well acquainted with earth quakes? We're well used to them too especially when I'm on the "thunder jug" lol. I love a good "Ruby Murry from the chuck away "
46 2026-06-03 10:44:49
Re: Booked Tin Cuddle Band (9 replies, posted in Poems)
Great poem Pedr. I reminds me of an American musician called Seasick Steve who would search bins and skips for likely scrap that would create a musical sound. A lot of his creations made 3 stringed instruments and he sang along with amusing words. I once saw him do a gig in one of the big music festivals and had John Paul Jones, of Led Zeppelin fame on bass.
I'm amazed at how you come up with these subjects and write them so eloquently. I'd love to see some of the NZ slang words?
47 2026-06-02 20:29:52
Re: Too Arrogant, I Guess (10 replies, posted in Chordie's Chat Corner)
Bill, I find it difficult to believe you could offend anyone. I'm sorry to hear about you latest health problems so please do as the doctors tell you so you can keep us entertained for many years to come.
48 2026-06-02 20:25:19
Re: Bass guitar? Where do we go now, where do we go? (1 replies, posted in Electric)
as I'm old I don't understand half of your post. but I have been playing guitar and bass for over 60 years, guitar first, learning six string chords is essential for playing and writing songs, it also helps when learning which notes to play and how to play a bass guitar. some I guess find bass easier to learn first and callouses are essential as they will harden the finger tips. also learn scales; begin slow and speed up gradually and most importantly practise, practise, practise
49 2026-05-09 09:07:59
Re: chord identification? (4 replies, posted in Chordie's Chat Corner)
Thanks Roger, I thought it would be a derivative of a D chord turns out it was A major7th, sounds nice though especially if you play from a barred D.
50 2026-05-08 09:40:20
Re: Water Quality (2 replies, posted in Poems)
There's more life in that water
Than the life it may provide
That life will cause infirmity
And some poor folks will die.
I hope you don't mind me adding a second verse to your deeply distressing poem? It's just sad that in this day and age that wars and greedy warlords can watch whole communities die as they thrive in luxury using guns as incentive.