Topic: what does one chord over another mean ?

Please forgive asking such a basic question, but I often see the notation say b/c for instance, is it b is it c is it a combination of the two ?

mikeshead

Re: what does one chord over another mean ?

hi milkshead this is referred to as a slash chord like d/f# it just means the note to the left d is the chord and the note to the right is the lowest note in the chord so its a D chord with a F# root so your b/c is a b chord with a c as the lowest note in the chord smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

got it !

many thanks

your very welcome glad to help smile

Have just come across a song with the chord A/B... Would this be an A with a B added? Tried this but it doesn't sound right. Can someone give me the tab?
Cheers!

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Simon & Patrick Pro Flamed Maple (mmm, nice...)
Norman ST68 acoustic

just A/B would sound a little strange unless it was part of a larger chord,say if you added a F# it sounds ok it would be some form of a minor 9th as B in a A chord is the minor second or extended it would be the minor 9th smile

normtheguitar wrote:

Have just come across a song with the chord A/B... Would this be an A with a B added? Tried this but it doesn't sound right. Can someone give me the tab?
Cheers!

X22220 or 7X7655

on a piano the left hand would play the B bass note, the right hand would play an A chord.

Give everything but up.

SouthPaw41L wrote:

...on a piano the left hand would play the B bass note, the right hand would play an A chord.

Exactly - the note under the slash is your bass note. Adding it into the chord elsewhere will give you a different sound than playing it "on the bottom".

Don’t let short-term frustration make you feel that your life exists in just this volatile moment.

normtheguitar wrote:

Cheers!

Hey norm - Another suggestion. Assuming the A/B chord you are referring to is from a song here on chordie, I suggest you click on the "Original Version" link on the right side of the page. That should take you to the site hosting the song song and oftentimes you can get a clue to the intended fingering there. As tabulature is not an exact science, the original transposer could have something else entirely different in mind. It could be A / slide to B for example.

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

normtheguitar wrote:

Cheers!

[A/B] is an [Amaj] Triad with B in the Bass. The writer could have intended [B11]. [B11] is spelled. 1=B. 3=D#. 5=F#. 7=A. 9=C#. 11=E.  You can see the [Bmaj]and [Amaj] Triads are stacked together creating Extentions for [Bmaj]. Herbie Hancock and Joe Sample used Polychords alot in the 70's and helped to make them popular.  Good Luck!                     Gtrsct       Gtrsct@aol.com

Gtrsct

What does it mean to play a scale over a cord?

danny1313 wrote:

What does it mean to play a scale over a cord?

All chords are derived from some scale, or set of scales.  All that means is that if you're playing a particular chord, you can also play the notes in that scale over it to generate lead lines, fills,  and turnarounds.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

C/B is a C cord w/ a B bass. It sounds good and makes sense on a piano w/ the B played by the left hand

Butch8844 wrote:

C/B is a C cord w/ a B bass. It sounds good and makes sense on a piano w/ the B played by the left hand

Yep.  It works well in a rundown from C to Am (C - C/B - Am).  Played as x22010.

"Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid." - Despair, Inc.

Ah! So weird. I was just wondering this today trying to play Christmas Must be Something More. Thanks for the great answers.

"absolutely epic and really really loud" ~Zurf
                            ^
                      Life right?
Katie tongue

If you strum a chord and sing aswell. You are singing notes from a scale over the chord you are playing. You may not know the key or scale but it is still a scale.

I see friends holdiong hands, saying "How do you do"
They're really saying, "I love you"
Louis Armstrong. Wonderful world.

If you were in a band, the bass player would play the bass note and the guitarist would just the normal chord.

"Where you begin doesn't matter. Your willingness to start is what counts."
Without music life would be a mistake.
Country music is three chords and the truth.
cool cool cool cool cool cool