Topic: Martin factory

I am taking the day off tomorrow and taking my family to the Matin guitar factory in Nazareth Pa. I have been trying to do this day trip for a couple of years now. Were going to do the factory tour and then the museum and then the pickers lounge(my favorite). I am bringing some money with me but It's probably not enough. I'm not planning on buying anything, it's just in case. I will let you all know how it was when I get back. Has anyone out there been to this before?

Re: Martin factory

Sounds like a great way to spend an afternoon for sure!

I've been meaning to get over to the Breedlove plant for several years now....  seems I'm always in the area when they are closed or I'm short of time for making the tour.  Could be a good thing though, lust can make you buy things that are beyond prudence.

Of course they might have an EZ Payment Plan, or you could trade in ......  I wonder what the trade value is of a slightly used spouse, after deductions for wear and tear?  (just joking Hon..... pre-nup? what pre-nup? I don't remember signing anything like that!)

Gotta Go!
Have Fun & Take Care;
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Sounds fun. Take some pics if you are allowed.

A Martin tour has been on my list of "must do" items too.  Let us know what the tour was like.

IMO, Martin guitars, Hershey chocolate and Yuengling beer are the reasons PA exists.

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

Dirty Ed wrote:

A Martin tour has been on my list of "must do" items too.  Let us know what the tour was like.

IMO, Martin guitars, Hershey chocolate and Yuengling beer are the reasons PA exists.

DE

That goes for many of us from Pennsyltucky too.  And, if I must say so myself, those are three darned fine reasons.

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I wish I lived closer,I would really like too see the legends birthing place, keep us informed if you can.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

I would love to go myself.  I belong to the Martin Forum and I see stories every day about people going to the factory.  They all enjoy it .  ave fun and let us know how it turns out.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Doug_Smith wrote:

Sounds like a great way to spend an afternoon for sure!

I've been meaning to get over to the Breedlove plant for several years now....  seems I'm always in the area when they are closed or I'm short of time for making the tour.  Could be a good thing though, lust can make you buy things that are beyond prudence.

Of course they might have an EZ Payment Plan, or you could trade in ......  I wonder what the trade value is of a slightly used spouse, after deductions for wear and tear?  (just joking Hon..... pre-nup? what pre-nup? I don't remember signing anything like that!)

Gotta Go!
Have Fun & Take Care;
Doug

I own two Breedloves and seeing that plant would be a dream come true. That's a pretty far trip for me but definatly on my bucket list.

I live a half hour from the Fender museum and plant in Corona, Ca. I've always wanted to go but haven't. Gotta get that done.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

I guess just crossing the state's boarder to buy fireworks (illegal in NY, legal in PA) isn't good enough.  I did go to the Cesar's Pocono Resort in PA for my honeymoon a while ago.  I've driven through a few times (and will again for the July Jam)... but I guess it's time to add that to the list of things we MUST do.  Martin factory as well as Hershey's.  I can't think of too many things better than guitars or chocolate. 

Have fun and please do take some pictures if they'll allow it!  smile  If you need help posting them on your return, drop me an email.

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

oooo I just looked and this is only about a 1/2 hour out of our way on the trip to VA (or home).  Let me know how all went when you got there, if you got in right away or if there was a several hour wait for the tour.  This might just be part of the trip to the July Jam!

Been there loved it. There is a used Martin store down the road from the factory it's worth a stop. Enjoy!!!

13 (edited by jcellini 2011-06-29 12:40:26)

Ok,here it is. The tour was awsome, we got there right when it started so we were in the first group. It got very crowded as the day went on but they seem to move people trough pretty good. The factory tour is about an hour long and shows you every step of the guitar making process. For those people who have any doubt, Martin guitars are truley hand made, I'd say about 80% of the guitars are actually handled or formed by human hands.(that was pretty impressive in todays need for production and proffit). After the tour we went into the museum and checked out over 175 years worth of guitar history. They have a sitting area outside of the gift shop where you can pick a guitar off the wall and enjoy playing for a while(my sons and I spent about half an hour trying out a couple different models).  All together we spent about 2-3 hrs there.  I was a little dissapointed that they didnt sell ant guitars there and had I known about the used martin store down the street, I would have stopped. If I'm ever on the west coast I would love to stop and see the Taylor and Breedlove factory, but they would not have all that history that Martin has to offer. If you ever get a chance to visit, I'm sure you would enjoy it.

14 (edited by bensonp 2011-06-29 14:09:29)

I'm glad you enjoyed it, jcellini.  Something you will rmember forever.  For the rest of yopu, I found a very nice new video of Martin and Co.  Its worthh a look.
http://www.dannysguitarshop.tv/theshow.html

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Got too put going there on my too visit list,if the Hershey's plant is nearby That would be double trouble for me I love Hersheys Choclate and Martian Guitars!!

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

bensonp wrote:

I'm glad you enjoyed it, jcellini.  Something you will rmember forever.  For the rest of yopu, I found a very nice new video of Martin and Co.  Its worthh a look.
http://www.dannysguitarshop.tv/theshow.html

Fantastic!  Thanks Pete.  It makes me want to stop there even more.

Well, on our way to the July River Jam in VA, my husband and I DID go to the Martin Factory and take in the tour and I took lots of pictures.  I uploaded them to my facebook account but I think with this link you should be able to check them out:  http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= … amp;type=1

If you check out the July River Jam thread, there's a link to pictures of the Jam and the Martin Guitar Factory MUG I bought while at the factory as well.  The factory tour was just as Jcellini said... you walk in, tell them you'd like a tour, get a sticker/number, go through and see the guitars being made (be tempted to grab one and run as fast as you can out the door, yet know you can't as you'd never make it out in time before someone grabbed you LOL) and drool over the guitars in the museum.  Just AMAZING and worth the trip!! 

THANK YOU so much to Jcellini for the great idea to make our vacation that much better!!!

Great pics Amy, thanks for posting.

Jerry

Live the life you love, love the life you live

Thanks Amy, glad you could fit the factory tour into your trip. The picture are great too. I know I was just there, but looking at your pictures brings back great memories.....I realy need to add a Martin to my collection.

I also loved the pics.  Especially the Hygolet.  That Martin is just top drawer, wouldn't you say?  Thanks Amy.

After seeing those pix - I GOTTA GO TAKE THE TOUR .............................

Thanks for posting Amie

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

I must say, I was looking at some of the lower priced guitars Martin makes (the Little Martin, similar to the Taylor Baby), but after learning that they're made in the Mexico factory (and just what HPL IS) and seeing how things are run in the PA factory, there's no way I'd want to give up the value received from a guitar made in the US to one made elsewhere just for the name.  A lot of care, time and dedication goes into these.  They said that they finish about 200 guitars per day and considering just how many guitars are IN production while walking around the factory, 200 doesn't actually seem like a lot.  Also keep in mind, they string the guitars tune them, put them in their case, then let them set for 8 days before re-tuning and finally sending them off for sale. 

I'm glad you all enjoyed the pictures!  Pete, the Hygolet was one of the highlights!  LOL!  What I didn't get a picture of is the really neat entrance or the enormous guitar art in the factory.  There's much more than the pictures.  If you're close enough, you absolutely should make the trip DE, or anyone!  smile  The best part is they really do get you right in for the tour and there's  plenty to see and touch while  you're waiting!  The museum is AMAZING too, especially for History buffs!

Thanks for posting pics of your Martin factory tour Amy. I lived in Pa. for 55 years and never got around to taking the Martin tour. These days I don't leave my mountain home unless I have to.

Live in the "now" - a contentment of the moment - the past is gone - the future doesn't exist - all we ever really have is now and it's always "now".

mekidsmom wrote:

I must say, I was looking at some of the lower priced guitars Martin makes (the Little Martin, similar to the Taylor Baby), but after learning that they're made in the Mexico factory (and just what HPL IS) and seeing how things are run in the PA factory, there's no way I'd want to give up the value received from a guitar made in the US to one made elsewhere just for the name.  A lot of care, time and dedication goes into these.  They said that they finish about 200 guitars per day and considering just how many guitars are IN production while walking around the factory, 200 doesn't actually seem like a lot.  Also keep in mind, they string the guitars tune them, put them in their case, then let them set for 8 days before re-tuning and finally sending them off for sale. 

I'm glad you all enjoyed the pictures!  Pete, the Hygolet was one of the highlights!  LOL!  What I didn't get a picture of is the really neat entrance or the enormous guitar art in the factory.  There's much more than the pictures.  If you're close enough, you absolutely should make the trip DE, or anyone!  smile  The best part is they really do get you right in for the tour and there's  plenty to see and touch while  you're waiting!  The museum is AMAZING too, especially for History buffs!

Thanks Amy, there all good parts of the tour, but dont forget about the FREE guitar hole you recieve at the end of the tour! I finished mine to look like a guitar top and hung them on the wall around the Martin poster I bought from the factory gift shop. Of course I have five of them from my wife and kids, they all got one. Gret souvenir.

ABSOLUTELY Jcellini!  I call that my "little piece of Martin"  LOL!  My husband and I each received one... and I plan to stain and hang soon!  smile